Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would they have a clue?

Boolit Master

Would they have a clue?

I live in a rural area. Gun shops are far and few. Not stores by any means. Not a bullet mold for sale withing 200+ miles. I hate to say it but a wal mart is where most buy their ammo around here.

So I ask this, If a friend of yours walked into your reloading room would they have a clue? The answer for me is no way. I will go as far as to say if the closest 20 gun shop owners walked into my gun room, they would not be able with the combined powers figure out everything going on.

This topic is brought up since I had a shooting buddy swing over to look at the new house. We ended the tour with my reloading room. The questions went on for hours. I did not mind, but I started to wonder just how many have friends who share the hobby with them? All my shooting buddies would not be caught dead with a lead projectile in their guns. Old myths of leading and so on.

I am starting to understand why so many others in the shooting world including LGS owners look at me like a lost puppy dog when I speak or casting, swaging, advanced reloading. Mouse farts, rolling my own, fire forming and PCing bullets. I have even been told on the range that lead bullets are not safe for shooting as they can bounce back and hurt someone. I guess it was a good thing I was the CRSO on sight.

At this time, I would like to thank all of you on the cast boolits forum for being my outlet to a world that does not exist in my area. Please share if you are in this hobby on your own or if you have others in Real to share this with. Thanks Outer...
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Moderator Emeritus

Luckily, there are a few local to me, "that have a clue". A couple of them are members here. Another one is a benchrest shooter who also casts. Some years back, a friend and shooter (how doesn't reload) stopped over with his kids (there is 8 or 9 of them, all are home schooled), I gave the two oldest kids a lesson(class) on casting and reloading. I guess that was part of their School day. Those two were very interested and some day, I wouldn't doubt they will become reloaders themselves.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    There are a few near where I live who reload, and less than 5% of them cast. But it is like a double bit axe - it cuts both ways; as I have not had any trouble (knock wood) on getting free wheel weights from the local farmer's tire shop. Neither of the local gun shops on the other hand have had any reloading components since the start of the China War. Just recently a local shooter has asked my advice on how to start reloading.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Luckily, there are a few local to me, "that have a clue". A couple of them are members here. Another one is a benchrest shooter who also casts. Some years back, a friend and shooter (how doesn't reload) stopped over with his kids (there is 8 or 9 of them, all are home schooled), I gave the two oldest kids a lesson(class) on casting and reloading. I guess that was part of their School day. Those two were very interested and some day, I wouldn't doubt they will become reloaders themselves.
    I used to teach reloading basics. After most learned it would cost them more money to buy reloading gear that was it. I have cast boolits for folks I didnt know and help them get a box when boxes where not for sale anyplace. Mostly 35 Remmington and other rounds for hunting.

I think I am looked at like a blacksheep.

Boolit Master

Much the same here. I wonder if the industry has any numbers of how many shooters load, and how many of those cast. And very few hunters even shoot. I know guys that 1 box of ammo will last several seasons.

I've been involved with a junior shooting club for over 30 years. Every year we get fewer kids that show up to shoot. And we supply everything, guns, ammo, safety equipment, at no cost. We have even invited the local hunting clubs to shoot & challenge the kids to a fun match. In all those years I can only recall 3 or 4 times any hunting club members showed up. I just love it when my kids whoop em. Maybe that's why they never come back.

Boolit Master

None of mine would. Even my neighbor who watches me cast and load some has no real understanding of the process and doesn't appear to desire to.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Much the same here. I wonder if the industry has any numbers of how many shooters load, and how many of those cast. And very few hunters even shoot. I know guys that 1 box of ammo will last several seasons.

I've been involved with a junior shooting club for over 30 years. Every year we get fewer kids that show up to shoot. And we supply everything, guns, ammo, safety equipment, at no cost. We have even invited the local hunting clubs to shoot & challenge the kids to a fun match. In all those years I can only recall 3 or 4 times any hunting club members showed up. I just love it when my kids whoop em. Maybe that's why they never come back.
    I understand where you are coming from. I could fill this thread with stories of why I do not support any clubs in my area anymore but that is not what this is about.

I joined the local clubs to shoot with and perhaps against others. That was a waste of time. If I spent 8 hours at the range and shot 700-1000 rounds and did so five days a week I would not see another sole. Unless it was the month before buck season.

I have even had gun shops straight up refuse to buy handguns from me due to they claim I shoot so much I must have shoot the barrels out. I often wonder what would of happened if I had credit or access to money and opened my own shop. Would people get into the shooting more aspect of things with somebody to help them. Or would it be a flop.

I cannot even teach the Hunters Education class anymore since that is online only now. My trap shooting buddies are dying off.

Crap I got off topic on my own thread. Back to the topic guys. Who is going to take care of this mess I have if something happens to me. The wife has no clue. Friends are lost. Gun shop owners dont know anything other then AR-15 and Glock.

I've only known about 7-8 guys that reload to one degree or another, and one that also casts for handguns.
    Several more know understand the process, but don't do it themselves.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I belonged to a fireworks forum for a time, They had a rescue plan where other members would help the clueless. Might be something to consider here.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I belonged to a fireworks forum for a time, They had a rescue plan where other members would help the clueless. Might be something to consider here.
    Not a bad Idea at all.

I am the guy they call in these parts for such a thing. I have taken pickup truck loads out of houses that no one could understand. Even been offered money to do so.

I reload self-tough and love it. I shot a lot of T C Contender wildcat rounds, people wonders were I
    buy my ammo at. They have no idea.

I am the only one I know personally that reloads, other than a friend that reloads shotshells only.
    Probably my fault as I do not cultivate a lot of friends.
    Probably my closest friend at the present is half my age, likes to shoot but up to this point is not interested in reloading.
    Of course, he has a lot of kids and a small house and not a lot of room to set up a reloading area.

Same boat here as the rest of you guys. I'm 63, been hunting and shooting all my life. I've only met one guy that reloads, and no one that casts. I'm not a recluse either, have lots of friends and most have guns and like to hunt. They all even consider a muzzle loader too much of a hassle, and only have and use them to comply with our special season. We're a bunch of rare birds these days.
    Deplorable infidel

Moderator Emeritus

I live in an area where many shooters handload. No trap clubs are close, handguns are a rarity and everyone wants to push jacketed to the max possible. The notion of slowing things down with lead is difficult to get someone to want to do. I had a table at a local show recently and at least 1/3 the people who came by were reloaders.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I have wanted to teach a class locally, but can not find a space that would work and I do not want a bunch of strangers out at my house learning what I may or may not have around that could be pilfered if the shtf. a few close friends know and we trade molds and powder and such, but even when somebody is interested in the slugs or pc'ed boolits on display at the lgs, they dont want to take the time to learn to do things like that.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Very few around me reload lead as their reloading is to shot in AR's and everyone knows lead isn't good in the AR. Can't shoot lead in Glocks either. I started reloading shotgun in the 60's and handgun in the 70's with rifle following. My son won't reload, he said he didn't have time. Son-in-law did at one time but he shoots very little now.

Boolit Grand Master

Most would really gain from the knowledge even if they never do reload. I believe more would have more respect for what they are handling also.

I have helped give both beginner classes and semi advanced classes. Its normally enjoyable and helps people out and gives a further understanding of whats involved and whats being done. I have went the one on one in my home with friends from work also. I have offered to allow fellow club members to e my equipment with instruction to load ammo when times are tough.

One thing I have ran into is a few would rather have you do the work for them rather than the instruction and hands on learning. Im willing to donate time to instruct but Im not doing it all while they are doing other things.

Want to really see baffled looks Have them come in the shop while machining reloading parts like die bodies and other tooling.

Boolit Master
    most of the keen shooters in our club reload ,but very few cast boolits .but i quite like being that guy who does that weird stuff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Want to really see baffled looks Have them come in the shop while machining reloading parts like die bodies and other tooling.
    I wish I had the means to make my own dies. I do what I can on my own and have a machine shop attempt to do what I need but it never seems to work out well.

Boolit Buddy
    Ah Yep, We are a dying breed. Those of us from the Old School "Do it ourselfers", [Shoot, Hunt, Reload, Cast boolits, Tie flies etc.] . We are much closer to extinction than others in the shooting group. It is sad, IDK what is going to happen to my stuff when I'm gone. Uncle Mike in Ct.