WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Useless hobbies?

Boolit Man
    I used to have an electric RC 4WD monster truck - biggest waste of money ever. Dumb things are made of plastic and break quickly, and the batteries are horribly expensive. And all you do is stand there and watch the darn thing. I sold it before I went broke.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    There was a place a few years ago where you could drive the big earth movers around just for fun. It might still exist, I'm not sure. Now, that'd be fun and useless. Sign me up.

found it:
    https://www.extremesandbox.com/
    I have a friend who has done well in life, his "hobby" is running heavy equipment. Since I ran everything that moves dirt for a living for a number of years - I get to go hang out with him.
    He'll lease a piece of heavy equipment for a couple of months just to reshape his environment. The best was 2 years ago when a D11N, 988K and a couple of 725 trucks for his newest land purchase. You can definitely move mountains (with the right amount of time and money).
    I think it took over a week to even get his "toys" put together from transport.
    Watching his face though - like a little boy playing in his sandbox.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    In the useless hobby category, GONRA wonders -
    has anyone checked out the Brits "Train Spotting"?
    Check it out.....
    A few years back, I heard good things about the 1996 british movie "Trainspotting", so I bought it cheap, used on fleabay, just to watch it. It was pretty good, but it surely isn't for everyone.
    Since I liked it, I then ordered the 2017 sequel "T2 trainspotting", and spent a little too much ...and after watching it, I barely could watch the whole thing, IT"S THE WORSE MOVIE EVER !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I have a lathe and have become highly successful in turning chunks of wood into shavings.
    I'm just starting this hobby. I was hoping to find a use for the shavings
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Based on my catches, for the last couple of years fishing has been a useless hobby. At least the scenery is good where I fish.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I’ve found the shavings work good when fluxing a pot of lead, but when you become as expert as I at turning good wood to shavings, you can make a lifetime supply in a few minutes. Let me know if you come up with other uses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Buy some large farm animals. They need bedding and it would give you another hobby.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FED.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	291767
    The biggest exercise in chasing my tail was my years running my nostalgia front engine dragster. Use less Hobby? I don't think so. It was the most fun I ever had behind a steering wheel!! Met so many wonderful people doing it.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    I'm actually indulging in two of my more expensive and useless hobbies right now: a 25 year old scotch and a Montecristo cigar. Neither is good for me, both cost too much, but damn I get a lot of enjoyment out of them on the rare occasions that I indulge.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    I'm actually indulging in two of my more expensive and useless hobbies right now: a 25 year old scotch and a Montecristo cigar. Neither is good for me, both cost too much, but damn I get a lot of enjoyment out of them on the rare occasions that I indulge.

What Scotch and which Monte Cristo cigar?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    What Scotch and which Monte Cristo cigar?

It was a Glenlivet XXV that was a gift several years ago. It was sitting there with only a bit left in the bottle, with the alcohol slowly evaporating, so I decided to kill it. The Montecristo was nothing special, maybe an $8-$10 cigar, but it was pretty good.

I quit my job and started a company with a.ling-time friend and now business partner recently, and today was my first day full-time with the new job, so I thought I'd celebrate a bit. It sounds a bit scary, but honestly it'll be a lot less work than having a day job and working on the company nights and weekends. So it's actually a bit of a relief. So a decent scotch was in order.

Boolit Master

Not to stir any debate, but I have lost the lungs for cigars since surviving Covid. I doubt I will touch another for the remainder of my days. Struggling for oxygen absorption (viral pneumonia on top of bacteriological pneumonia) while staring Death in the eyes is pause for soul searching. I felt, first hand, the debilitating effect of compromised lungs, which chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) sufferers feel every second of every day. Fortunately for me, I don't have COPD and it was not "my time" as I faced, what could have been, my own extinction.

I do appreciate a good single malt scotch, in moderation, and as needed for medicinal purposes, from time to time.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Based on my catches, for the last couple of years fishing has been a useless hobby. At least the scenery is good where I fish.
    not much to see 3o miles out in lake superior. But i do know that fish even at 20 bucks a lb would be a bargain compared to what it cost me over the last 10 or 15 years. Probably could have bought the fish i ate with just the cost of my two electric downriggers ands surely with just the electronics on the boat. Had over 5k in one of the fishfinders and there were two of them. Lets not talk rods and reels and lures and gas and beer and upkeep and dock fees. THEN add the price of the boat. Wife once told me if i sat down and figured it out i could probably take the whole family out for steak an lobster for what those fish cost. Comical thing is i could probably take your family along too.

Look at my Avatar.

Dumbest sport ever invented. Wait for ice to sail, most often multiple hours away. Load up and drive there only to have a snow storm blow in and ruined the ice. Or no wind. Or too much wind.

Plus you have to drink your beer FAST so it doesn't get too cold. But a chunky beer is still a beer.

I've been doing it for 46 years, about to start my 47th year. I have 3 boats, down from 5, my daughter has a DN also.

But I'm a piker, was talking to a buddy Friday evening, he's got over 70 years iceboating and is looking forward to this season. He's only 84. And building a 24' cold molded sailboat as his covid project. Started it at the beginning of covid, expects to be sailing it next summer.

He's been called the Energizer Bunny.

I've tried most of the standard hobbies, bicycling, downhill and cross country skiing, snowshoeing, fishing, hunting, shooting, casting and reloading, water skiing, motorcycling, woodworking--that's mostly wood turning now. Soft water sailing, played a little bit with racing hydroplanes. Did demolition derby once, that was a blast, if running junkers weren't so expensive I'd do that again.

Even took up cow pasture pool for a while.(golf)

Curling, would like do that more, first time was at the start of covid house arrest. What's not to like about a sport that has beer cup holders at each end of the curling sheet. There's a club about 50 miles away that is tempting to join. Would probably annoy the wife, already belong to two boat clubs, a wood turning club, two gun clubs, shoot regularly at 3 other gun clubs, and I'm going to join the one I shoot sporting clays at after the first of the year. Not sure she'd be happy with me in 7 clubs.

The shooting/reloading/sailing/wood working/bicycling/motorcycling are what's left, but may try the downhill again this winter, haven't done that in a number of years. And I've squirreled away plans for an 8' hydroplane and I've still got a nice 50's vintage 10 hp Merc........

And I forgot luge, did that just once, need to do that again. There's a track that's about 40 minutes south of my daughters house. Just another excuse to go visit her.

This old geezer retirement stuff is hard.

Boolit Master

My former golfing was the most useless hobby I ever had. The most expensive were slow horses and fast women.

Boolit Master

...and older whiskey ^^^^^
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FED.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	291767
    The biggest exercise in chasing my tail was my years running my nostalgia front engine dragster. Use less Hobby? I don't think so. It was the most fun I ever had behind a steering wheel!! Met so many wonderful people doing it.
    cars have always came second only to shooting. Lots would think the money ive spent on cars was a waste but to me its as much as a part of my life as shooting and i dont consider it a waste

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post
    My former golfing was the most useless hobby I ever had. The most expensive were slow horses and fast women.
    never did see the attraction to dressing up like a yuppy and wacking a little white ball around and following it in a cart. they do make good targets though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Look at my Avatar.

Dumbest sport ever invented. Wait for ice to sail, most often multiple hours away. Load up and drive there only to have a snow storm blow in and ruined the ice. Or no wind. Or too much wind.

Plus you have to drink your beer FAST so it doesn't get too cold. But a chunky beer is still a beer.

I've been doing it for 46 years, about to start my 47th year. I have 3 boats, down from 5, my daughter has a DN also.

But I'm a piker, was talking to a buddy Friday evening, he's got over 70 years iceboating and is looking forward to this season. He's only 84. And building a 24' cold molded sailboat as his covid project. Started it at the beginning of covid, expects to be sailing it next summer.

He's been called the Energizer Bunny.

I've tried most of the standard hobbies, bicycling, downhill and cross country skiing, snowshoeing, fishing, hunting, shooting, casting and reloading, water skiing, motorcycling, woodworking--that's mostly wood turning now. Soft water sailing, played a little bit with racing hydroplanes. Did demolition derby once, that was a blast, if running junkers weren't so expensive I'd do that again.

Even took up cow pasture pool for a while.(golf)

Curling, would like do that more, first time was at the start of covid house arrest. What's not to like about a sport that has beer cup holders at each end of the curling sheet. There's a club about 50 miles away that is tempting to join. Would probably annoy the wife, already belong to two boat clubs, a wood turning club, two gun clubs, shoot regularly at 3 other gun clubs, and I'm going to join the one I shoot sporting clays at after the first of the year. Not sure she'd be happy with me in 7 clubs.

The shooting/reloading/sailing/wood working/bicycling/motorcycling are what's left, but may try the downhill again this winter, haven't done that in a number of years. And I've squirreled away plans for an 8' hydroplane and I've still got a nice 50's vintage 10 hp Merc........

And I forgot luge, did that just once, need to do that again. There's a track that's about 40 minutes south of my daughters house. Just another excuse to go visit her.

This old geezer retirement stuff is hard.
    now theres a busy man!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    never did see the attraction to dressing up like a yuppy and wacking a little white ball around and following it in a cart. they do make good targets though.
    Actually I dressed like Ben Hogan, the yuppy thing came much later but ya, golf balls are better as targets than projectiles. Unless you had a gun that fired golf balls. Golf course will need a rangemaster but count me in.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.