Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People who pay double the MSRP, why?

People who pay double the MSRP, why?

Springfield Armory has released their version of the great Browning Hi-Power, with a factory recommended price of $699.00 A truly great design that just never seem to fit my hand (web area issue). And now it's back, and it is suppose to have addressed that issue, along with the hammer bite issue many had problems with.

I occasionally find myself on Gunbroker looking at prices for the new Springfield Armory SA-35 and most seem to be selling for $300-$500 above the MSRP. Okay, so it's the buyers money...have at it if that's their hearts desire. On the other hand, I'm thinking give it another 5-6 months and they can be had for $700.00 at a local dealer. And no, I'm not complaining about it. I could do the same thing if I wanted to go hit a *BUY NOW*.

Why are people like that? Your thoughts?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

1. Some people have more dollars than sense.

2. Some are impulsive. And like a cat, they see something that catches their eye and grab it.

3. Some don't do any research and have no concept of a price being too high compared to a competitor's.
    These are the ones who buy a new car, pay full sticker price, and for all the other stuff a salesman recommends without question.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Are they selling for $300-$500 above the MSRP, or is that just the asking price?
    Two things figure into my decision to buy a used gun: it has to shoot and I have to be able to sell it and at least get what I paid for it.

Boolit Master
    “A fool and their money shall soon part”!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

If you get a windfall, or managed your money well and realize you have more money than time, paying a couple hundred more can become pretty trivial.

Also, imagine being very bored, and having few things that give you pleasure any more. If you already don't care about prices, because you can afford it, what's a couple hundred bucks if you get to scratch that itch today, as opposed to waiting a couple months?

In other words, some people got so much money they won't notice the couple of hundred difference.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

To each his own .

Boolit Master
    Another thing to consider is standard supply and demand. When supply is low but demand is high price will inevitably go up. Last projections I heard through my employer is 2-4 years for economy recovery now, supply issues are likely to get worse before they get better at least in some industries.

Also consider the likely inflation you will see between now and when prices normalize? I bought a bandsaw on backorder in May for $1,499. A month later it was still not available but price had gone up on most sites $300 from what I paid. Looking again today they added another $200, so $500 price increase in 6 months. (Luckily my backorder did come in in September for the price I agreed to pay).

Look around, price of everything is going up fast, likely the manufacturers website hasn’t caught up with new details yet.

Just my thoughts though and I’m hoping I’m wrong.

Boolit Master
    There was a SA-35 for bid on Gunsamerica yesterday. It was bid up to $930.00, with a few hours left. I didn’t catch the final bid, but I’ll bet there was a bid battle before the end.

One thought neglected here is that some people have to have it before everyone else. Personally, I would rather put the money towards a nice Belgium made High Power from the mid 1900's.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Yesterday, a buddy and I had lunch at a local burger place, then drove to a nearby cop and military distributor, where, upon showing our retired military ID cards, they let us order SA-35s for $541 each. Helluva deal. I tried to order spare 15 round mags (made by Mecgar), but was told that I could not get them with the pistol order, had to buy from gunmagwarehouse.com, which I did that afternoon. All this plus some fine conversation with the good guys behind the counter.

A two hour slice of heaven.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Winger Ed.;5294913]1. Some people have more dollars than sense.

2. Some are impulsive. And like a cat, they see something that catches their eye and grab it.

3. Some don't do any research and have no concept of a price being too high compared to a competitor's.
    These are the ones who buy a new car, pay full sticker price, and for all the other stuff a salesman recommends without question.[/QUOTE
    4 alot of those so-called gunbroker dealers don't actually have what they are trying to sell.

Boolit Master
    Some live in California.

If I want off roster guns previously owned by the lucky few who can legally buy them new instate, I will be paying at least double MSRP, and that’s for used goods.

Like StuBach said, supply and demand. On the left coast, the supply has been constrained artificially by the state.

Of course, the out of state vendors can’t sell off roster guns directly to California residents, so GunBroker auction prices aren’t explained by California restrictions.
    Last edited by kevin c; 11-09-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe its the same as an auction is. The desire to have something "first' overcomes the price increase. Same as most used firearms at an auction go for more than a new set up would be. Its kind of an ego or stature thing.

Probably because the money is not all that important to them. I collect Hensley & Gibbs moulds, and when a particularly nice one comes around that MAYBE....MAYBE I MIGHT use some day, those few dollars extra really doesn't hurt.
    I have paid a couple of hundred dollars premium for condition on a few guns in my days. I have also paid a premium for private sale guns too.
    Knowing that the price will come down when supply catches up is comforting.
    I do the same with components. I have paid a few bucks more for an 8 lb jug of 296, 231 and 748 over the years.....the pain isn't there any more. The components are.
    I guess the answer is just how bad do you want it? I know my limits.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Why are people like that? Your thoughts?

Murphy
    You'll have to ask them, it makes no sense to me.

Bottom line, it's the buyer in charge of any such exchange, not the hopeful seller. No buyer who's conscious can truthfully say he has been gouged after he paid what it's clearly worth to him.

At item being sold is worth whatever a buyer will pay for it. No matter if the item is a firearm, vehicle, land, home or whatever else.

People are buying all kinds of things right now and paying amounts that I consider outrageous. I know I'll be fine without it so it's a strangely amusing spectacle to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    At item being sold is worth whatever a buyer will pay for it. No matter if the item is a firearm, vehicle, land, home or whatever else.

People are buying all kinds of things right now and paying amounts that I consider outrageous. I know I'll be fine without it so it's a strangely amusing spectacle to me.
    People have money, unfortunately the supply chain that works on a bunch of just in time deliveries is a mess of cascading failures. Now the market price is as others have said is what you can get someone to pay for it. With firearms, ammo, and components it is very much a sellers market. Will remain so until folks either run out of room to store the stuff or the money to buy it. Once everyone who wants 9mm ammo has a pallet full in their basement and a safe overflowing with firearms I expect prices will come down. Or if supply jumps suddenly as it did when ADI repaired plant after a fire and started making pistol powder again.

Online sales can often price items to find the buyer someplace in the country who wants it the most and has the financial ability to pay well over MSRP to get it. Only takes one buyer willing to pay top dollar plus a premium to make that strategy pay off for the seller. Other folks tend to be more cautious with their money, or have learned to go in the opposite direction from the masses. I see a lot of rifles but not much ammo. Prices on a lot of those rifles are down. Was a time during the .22 rim fire shortages that one could get a nice 22 rifle for very cheap. No ammo unless you were willing to sell a kidney.

Retail outlets have to consider that they can't "make it on volume" if they can't get a steady supply to meet the demand. Thus they have to charge more per item on fewer items to yield a bottom line that pays the overhead. The retail market also may need to consider the replacement cost. The item that has a rising wholesale price every month can't be just marked up the normal amount it needs to return the profit AND enough to purchase the replacement item to restock the shelves.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Everybody wants one, but there are not enough to go around. There's enough people who will pay a premium to be among the first to own something new and hot like that, so sellers will jack up the prices. I can't blame them for wanting to make a profit.

Ironically, the first to buy something also have the "privilege" to be the first to find out all the issues with it. I'm happy just waiting 6 months to a year to get one below MSRP that has had all it's issues fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    Everybody wants one, but there are not enough to go around. There's enough people who will pay a premium to be among the first to own something new and hot like that, so sellers will jack up the prices. I can't blame them for wanting to make a profit.

Ironically, the first to buy something also have the "privilege" to be the first to find out all the issues with it. I'm happy just waiting 6 months to a year to get one below MSRP that has had all it's issues fixed.
    I endorse this practice , being a release candidate or beta tester has never been a value add in my opinion.
    Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.

Boolit Master
    I agree with FOUR-SIXTY, at some point for SOME people a couple hundred bucks is no longer a significant amount so you can decide for yourself what the value of an item is TO YOU.