Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-10/308 boolit advice

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone copper plated instead of powdercoating? I tend to plate my rifle boolits and powdercoat the pistol stuff. Zep Rootkill, copper sulfate, is the stuff, dissolved in HOT distilled water. I have a special two bucker rotating (BBQ rotisserie) plating setup. CHEAP but gets the whole bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

I've heard of it done more in the past, but plated bullets are generally inferior to cast bullets, so I doubt too many mess with it anymore. It does seem like swaging jackets on has become slightly more popular with some new lower cost dies and strong presses.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    I use Powder Coat as a default.
    https://i.postimg.cc/VNt79f1c/45-ACP...d-Bullseye.jpg

But Powder coat interferes w/ bore-rider designs, and with tight/short-throated chambers in many rifles
    If/when it does, I use the relatively-simple/baked-ALOX process to rectify.
    Wouldn't a shorter seating depth rectify that? Unless your bullet is maximum length and barely fits as it is, just seat a little deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I doubt that bullet you referenced will feed in my Armalite AR-10 carbine. It's pretty picky and feeds 100% reliability with cast spitzers or bullets with smaller meplats. I cast a 160 grain spitzers with a NOE 311414 mold. In the heavier category, mine likes the 180 grain MP silhouette mold. Sorry, I don't do PC.

Winelover

I emailed NOE asking if they are going to make any more 311414 molds. No response.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    31-165C from Tom. Shoots and feeds fine from lr-308, any mag. 2400 fps carbine and 2700 from rifle barrels. GC and WD alloy. PCd.
    Good thing about Accurate Molds is you can get up to 5 cavity. I'm not going for MOA at 1000 yards, I'm going for cheap and efficient.

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castinator View Post
    Wouldn't a shorter seating depth rectify that? Unless your bullet is maximum length and barely fits as it is, just seat a little deeper.
    No. Bore riders are usually quite long and seating deeper means part of the smaller dia nose is in the neck, sometimes to the point the bullet just falls through.

The solution is to nose size them to fit your bore. Yep, extra steps, but, it is worth it to be able to shoot heavier, powder coated bullets.