Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crows... My new best friends

Boolit Master
    I run 50 birds. When I first started I made a chicken tractor large enough for 8 birds. They will destroy a 6'x12' piece of ground in a day. Hence the larger runs with fenced free range space when allowable.
    I've got some new high vis netting on the way which will help alleviate the problem a bit.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Crows are predators and they are also cowards. Many times I have seen crows being chased by sparrows and once I saw a humming bird chasing one. Since crows have been placed on the protected list they have multiplied to many times the numbers they were. They have killed many song birds. If a crow is flying over a tree and hears baby birds chirping, they will come down and eat them if both parents are gone. I even saw a crow trying to kill a grown pigeon. I ran him off but he didn't go far. I don't know if he finished the job or not. If anything survives the apocalypse , my money is on the crow.
    I can't believe Crows are on the Protected List in CA. ... that's funny !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Crows are migratory game birds. They are protected by international treaty with Canada and Mexico. Can only be hunted during certain time periods. You want to go to federal prision, shoot crows year around.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I can't believe Crows are on the Protected List in CA. ... that's funny !
    Not here for sure !

Super Moderator

We have a few Crows around here, but it's primarily Ravens. They are like Crows on Steroids, and said to be even smarter than Crows. Their antics are fun to watch, especially the juveniles.

Boolit Master
    Go youtube Fable the raven. Pretty cool birds.

FWIW... Mittens will sit on the coffee table and watch Fable.

Boolit Bub
    had a hawk kill some of Mrs. Joes prize Barred Rocks. It didn't care what or who was in the back yard......So Mr. Mossberg came to the rescue with some of Uncle Bens finest loaded in the shells. Didn't kill it, but it soon developed a wanderlust...to the neighboring cotton field. Mrs. Joe was very happy.

Boolit Master

When I bought my place I shot a couple crows with a .22 rimfire and really wanted to get one with my 6 mm Remington Varmint rifle I had a mess of them on the ground one afternoon so I snuck out back door no sooner then The heavy barrel poked out from the corner of the house CAW CAW CAW the lookout burned me!
    I went inside and they returned hopping in the grass eating things So from inside though the window I started to watch they were tearing up the yellow cocoons of tent caterpillars and eating them ! I have not tried to get another crow since and it has been well over ten years.
    I have the larger version of crows also the ravens tend to be more loners .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Crows/Ravens are extremely intelligent and fascinating birds. They also play and do thing with the sole purpose of entering them selves.
    J.m Shrader

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I once scattered a 5 gallon bucket of old pecans around my feeder in hopes hogs would drop in,
    Nope but Mr.Crows would, They picked up a single pecan and would fly to an open area of a recently plowed cut-over.
    They then set the pecan on the ground, Dig out a small hole in the earth, Planted the pecan and covered it up.
    They then would rub the crown of there head on the dirt, I guess this was marking the spot for later?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    I once scattered a 5 gallon bucket of old pecans around my feeder in hopes hogs would drop in,
    Nope but Mr.Crows would, They picked up a single pecan and would fly to an open area of a recently plowed cut-over.
    They then set the pecan on the ground, Dig out a small hole in the earth, Planted the pecan and covered it up.
    They then would rub the crown of there head on the dirt, I guess this was marking the spot for later?
    Maybe ... Planting trees for future pecan orchard ... that's pretty smart !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I err on the side of the hawk. I've never liked crows. I can shoot them anytime in my pecan bottom for suspicion of crop depredation. I like hawks, eagles, owls and even buzzards better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 10-06-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I err on the side of the hawk. I've never liked crows. I can shoot them anytime in my pecan bottom for suspicion of crop deprivation. I like hawks, eagles, owls and even buzzards better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Until you lose 10 laying birds to hawks. SSB

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    The problem is securing a large chicken run. Fencing is a necessity already but aerial netting? That's where it gets spendy.
    I used the bird block netting for years to keep squirrels and birds out of our tomatoes, you can get big pieces at the home improvement box stores. One of them had 7' x 100' rolls the other had 14' x 50' rolls. Could probably find other sizes if you shop around. It's fairly inexpensive, light weight and easy to put up especially if you have an air stapler. It may not stop a hawk in a dive but it will certainly ruin his day if he gets caught in it.

Having runs on wheels works, there was one in a field near my work that the guy kept moving it all over the field and held about 12 chickens, they roosted in an old school bus at night so I guess he tended to the operation regularly.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.