MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: WOLF primers in LEE hand primer

Banned

WOLF primers in LEE hand primer

Any one used WOLF primers in a LEE hand primer????? Any problems???

Thanks

Banned

the large pistol primers seem to take a tad more effort to seat on the dillon so they might be a little tougher in the lee but i would guess there sure useable in it.

Boolit Master
    Wolf Primers- Small/Large Rifle with Lee Auto Prime *No Problems installing.

No ignition problems in my leverguns & T/C Contender. I will try Wolf in BPCR when time allows, but this is not high on my to do list.

Perfomance has been nothing less than great(200m). Wolf DID NOT out shoot Federal or Winchester primers I normally use, but shot as good and was very consistant across the chronograph.

Wolf primers have undergone a lot of scrutiny around here lately. the above statements are not slanted or biased, I tested side by side with my usual primers WLR, WSR, WLRM, Fed 205, Fed 210, Fed 215, Fed GM215M.
    Am I switching over- only when I run out of what I have in inventory. So far, I just ran out of Fed 205.
    Col 2:13-17

Banned
    Thanks for the info guys I just figured that for $87.00 for 5000, It is worth a try.
    Last edited by jdhenry; 03-12-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Banned
    Well I just bought 10,000 WOLF primers. I'll post a review once I get some testing in with them. It was $214.00 delivered if anyone is wondering....... That is with $40.00 shipping and HAZMAT fees.

Banned
    Just an update for anyone else...........

I loaded a bunch today and no problems There was a couple that were a tight fit but other than that they all went bang

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I have been reading about Wolfe primers but can not find anyone that has them in stock. Midway has been out of stock since 12 13 07 on my wish list and the newest arrival date is June. HELP so I can BWB

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    I have been reading about Wolfe primers but can not find anyone that has them in stock. Midway has been out of stock since 12 13 07 on my wish list and the newest arrival date is June. HELP so I can BWB
    http://www.wideners.com/ has them in stock now.

Boolit Buddy

I have loaded the Wolf Large Rifle primers. They are just a hair larger than the others, so extra effert is needed. Make sure you have them toltally seated, for new brass I used the rockchucker to get more leverage, for older brass the Lee does just fine.

Smile

I've loaded the Small Pistols. No problems. The brass is apparently quite thin, as I turned one sideways and crushed it with little more than the usual seating effort.

When not sideways and crushed, they go BANG every time.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    I was throwing out some split 44-40 cases, and I noticed some 45-70 Win cases I had thrown out because the primers were loose(Win & Fed primers), I dug some out and tried the Wolf primers, and they fit nice and snug. So I dug the rest out of the bucket cleaned them up, and given them a new lease on life. Got lots of brass for the levergun now..............

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master

I might have something to add here.
    I like Wolf primers. Yes, they are a little tight. However I modify my Berdan primer pockets to accept Boxer primers. The large rifle primers are .214, the Berdan pocket is .216.
    After drilling out the center hole with a 76 drill bit, I use a ball bearing and swage the pocket a little tighter. The Wolf primers being just a tad tight, snug up a little tighter in the pocket.
    I have had no issues with modified primer pockets. Even though there is essentially a small bearing area on the Boxer primer, I have had no issues what so ever.
    It is possible to utilize Berdan primed brass.
    I have done it.

I just busted open a new brick of Wolf Small Rifle Primers and I'm having a small issue with my Lee Hand Primer tool. Seems as though the primers are not getting seated enough. When I stand the primed cases on a flat surface they wobble. Looks like I have to go over all of them again and see if they will go any deeper into the pocket.

The handle on the Lee Primer tool seems like it wants to almost bottom out when squeezing / seating. Something strange is going on.

This is the first time I have attempted or used any Wolf Primers. BTW I'm priming 223 cases.

What say - over....
    Sprue ™

Boolit Grand Master

Sprue,

Check to see if the shell holder area is cracked in the autoprime. These are the exact symptoms of a failing autoprime.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprue View Post
    I just busted open a new brick of Wolf Small Rifle Primers and I'm having a small issue with my Lee Hand Primer tool. Seems as though the primers are not getting seated enough. When I stand the primed cases on a flat surface they wobble. Looks like I have to go over all of them again and see if they will go any deeper into the pocket.

The handle on the Lee Primer tool seems like it wants to almost bottom out when squeezing / seating. Something strange is going on.

This is the first time I have attempted or used any Wolf Primers. BTW I'm priming 223 cases.

What say - over....
    I use Wolf with my Lee with no problems. Military crimped cases can be finicky, even when swaged. I swage mine with the Dillon swager, and seems to go well.

Because the Wolf primers are a little larger than other primers wouldn't you ruin your brass by enlarging the primer pocket? If you couldn't get Wolf primers and had to go back to say Winchester isn't the pocket to big now?
    If you get a woman involved in the shooting sports you have involved her whole family. This in turn dramatically increases the number of people who support the 2nd Amendment. Please support women in becoming shooters.

Are you going to be there? http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddot View Post
    Because the Wolf primers are a little larger than other primers wouldn't you ruin your brass by enlarging the primer pocket? If you couldn't get Wolf primers and had to go back to say Winchester isn't the pocket to big now?
    No, not in my experience with Wolf. The brass case is harder and there's more of it, the primer cup is fairly thin.

Joe

In Remembrance

I have no problem seating oversize primers since getting my Lee classic cast press with the Safety Prime. There is plenty leverage to seat even the most recalcitrant primer. DALE