Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded into a .44 Mag Rossi Carbine yesterday.

Boolit Master

Traded into a .44 Mag Rossi Carbine yesterday.

I traded into this little carbine, 16", new in the box. I have a 20" barrel also in .44 mag. I did not really want the rifle but I got a killer deal on it, in a 3 for 1 gun trade. Anyway, I got some .44 specials I had loaded up with a lee 200gr slug that shot well in my other rifle. It was dead on l/R at 100yds, a little low, so I moved the sight up the elevator one notch, and it was spot on, could hit my 4"clanger every shot off of a bench. I am in love with the little short, light rifle. And it runs slick as can be, nary a bobble. I have heard a lot of horror stories on Rossi lever guns, and I am sure some of them are true, but this makes my 6th one over the last 20 years, and no issues with any of them, I guess I am just leading a charmed life where they are concerned.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi R92. It flat out will not feed 44 Specials at all. Been having to load reduced charge 44 Magnums. Are you saying your Rossi will feed 44 Specials?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Nice !

I had a couple of 16" Rossi Model 92's with the Big Loop lever (which got switched out for a standard levers).

I never had a bobble with either, over the 5 years I owned/shot/hunted them.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

When they work, they work well. Good little rifles. I miss the old Puma 44-40 I had apart 15 times but it ran like a champ afterwards.
    Don't leave us gun traders hanging- details, please.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Joe James, yes it feeds .44 specials and mags, flawlessly. You cant hardly tell the difference between working the gun empty and loaded rounds, it is that slick. TBG details on the trade in a PM to you.

Boolit Master
    Oh man, I am crazy about my R92 but there appeared to be no way to get it to feed 44 Specials. I resigned my self to just shooting reduced 44 Magnums.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I am using a Lee 200 gr, roundnose, flat point bullet.

Boolit Master

wow, that’s great I have a couple 24” hex barrels in 357 and 44 mag. neither feed specials well. my case hardened framed 357 is a tack driver while my SS 44mag does ok but have not been able to run cast bullets thru it. I admit I have done a lot of tweaking for smoother operation. in particular keeping ejected cases from punching holes in the range’s roof.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

It took me almost 10 hours of sanding and polishing to get my rossi to run...and a lot of help.from Nate "Kiowa" Jones (StevesGunz). But, it runs like a swiss watch now. It was the worst machining I had ever seen. The tang had gouges in it, the bolt had machinging chatter marks that were so bad I had to replace it. The lever was so tight you had to brace it on your leg to work it. Absolutely awful. But, she is a runner now.

check it out!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201217_075829.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I picked up an early Rossi 92 a couple of years ago. I changed some springs, and filed off a rough internal edge, and it runs smooth as glass. Chambers .38 spl, SWC and .357 SWC and RFP with no issues. I was looking for a Marlin when I came across it, and it is a keeper in my book.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

The day I got my .357 Rossi I tried every different shape and size of 38Spl. and .357 I had through it, everyone worked perfectly.

Changing the ejector spring to a hardware store spring, a Century C-530, had cases dropping at my feet and reduced the effort to work the action.

Great accurate little gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine feeds specials. But only after the Nate Kiowa Jones kit and video I gun smithed myself. The extractor was always a problem. I bought a mirakou one from the Japanese copies and it solved my extraction problems. I feel they were just made quickly. If I kept working on the original extractor maybe I could have gotten it to work by thinning it. The most horrible things are the loading gate stiffness, the crazy stiff ejector spring, and the stiff extractor.

Love it now. They could have increased the price $30 and made it work smooth as butter and everyone would have wanted one. I feel a missed opportunity by Rossi

Boolit Bub
    My 44 Rossi (Puma) M92 feeds and shoots 44 specials without a hitch. My Rossi 357 M92 feeds and shoots 38spl without a hitch. The loading gates are stiff but manageable. The only problem with them is they they don't get shot enough. I will have to deal with that!

The one time I tried .44 specials out of mine it cycled very well. Outstanding little rifles, have fun with it.

Wore one out shooting cas [first cas rifle] in .45colt in a year, Interarms replaced it and it got sold. The money went towards a used 1894 Marlin Cowboy Ltd that I am still running. Glad you guys are doing better with your .44s.

Boolit Mold
    I've had mine for about a year. Having trouble with feed issues on handloads, seems like its very picky about OAL and bullet type/shape. I did do the "Steves Gunz" upgrades, per his dvd, and it really slicked up the action, but still having feed issues... Seems like the bullet is hanging up just as it starts to feed into the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jparr View Post
    I've had mine for about a year. Having trouble with feed issues on handloads, seems like its very picky about OAL and bullet type/shape. I did do the "Steves Gunz" upgrades, per his dvd, and it really slicked up the action, but still having feed issues... Seems like the bullet is hanging up just as it starts to feed into the barrel.
    Have you tried working the lever fast when closing the action some feed better with a little snap

Boolit Buddy
    I think the the snap you refer to is due to the crazy stiff extractor. Stevegunz recommend thinning it but I thinned it to where I thought I went too far. Then I compared it to a Mirakou extractor and the Mirakou was thinner still. I put the Mirakou in and never looked back. I’ve shot originals and they were much slicker. But they were bottleneck cartridges and I think that helps a lot.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I have a Rossi R92. It flat out will not feed 44 Specials at all. Been having to load reduced charge 44 Magnums. Are you saying your Rossi will feed 44 Specials?
    Check out my three videos on YouTube about this. They're about my .357 rifle, but .44's can have the same issue. Watch all three please. This is #1, should be easy to find 2 & 3.

https://youtu.be/w6B9CiGcLIo