Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Printing on glass is tough. I did it for years with ABS using glue stick. Since I got my ender 5 I print all in PLA now, and am a big fan of the poly plates like this one. I used some 220 sandpaper to rough the surface up and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/235-235mm-Mam..._t3_B07YFCVR6G
    I really like the glass since it releases when it cools. I destroyed the bottom plate that came with it trying to remove prints. I'll try printing with a brim to see if that solves the problem.

Boolit Mold
    I had the same problem on first run trying to print the bullet feed dies in .223. I added an brim and it worked great. First run got just to the top of the first set of holes for ball bearings and came loose.

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    I’ve been having a hell of a time printing the bullet feeder die for 6.5-7mm.
    The inner part always gets knocked over for some reason.
    I tried a raft, brim, glue stick, combinations there of.
    Speaking of, I have still not received any feedback on that die. Are you printing on glass as well, or some other build surface? Even under the worst conditions, raft always gives me a successful print. But I use it very rarely.

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of, I have still not received any feedback on that die. Are you printing on glass as well, or some other build surface? Even under the worst conditions, raft always gives me a successful print. But I use it very rarely.
    I got one successful print but it seems like the internal surface where the ball bearings ride seems rough so bullets are jamming.
    I had to pass a drill bit through the inside to get the bullets to fall freely even without ball bearings.

Once my Mount post base print completes tomorrow morning I will try printing the bullet feeder die in PLA. I will print it one piece at a time and I may try enabling Z Hop in case the nozzle is hitting the edge and knocking it over.

The bed surface is the factory Creality Carborundum glass.
    Typically things stick like glue to it.

Edit: what are you guys using for elastics?
    It’s almost like I need a second printer.

I got one successful print but it seems like the internal surface where the ball bearings ride seems rough so bullets are jamming.
    I had to pass a drill bit through the inside to get the bullets to fall freely even without ball bearings.

Once my Mount post base print completes tomorrow morning I will try printing the bullet feeder die in PLA. I will print it one piece at a time and I may try enabling Z Hop in case the nozzle is hitting the edge and knocking it over.

The bed surface is the factory Creality Carborundum glass.
    Typically things stick like glue to it.

Which bullets are you trying to feed? I assume the 6.5 you are collating? It should not be tight at all for those, as the opening is actually 7.1mm.
    Are you printing at .12 layer height? If it is still tight try using some acetone with a cleaning jag and smooth out the opening.

Check the manual for the link to the mcmaster carr springs. They work 1000 times better then elastics or orings.
    Last edited by TylerR; 02-10-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    I really like the glass since it releases when it cools. I destroyed the bottom plate that came with it trying to remove prints. I'll try printing with a brim to see if that solves the problem.
    Given how nice the other items came out..... Maybe something went crazy when it sliced..... Try and re-slice it

Boolit Buddy
    Which bullets are you trying to feed? Are you printing at .12 layer height?

Check the manual for the link to the mcmaster carr springs. They work 1000 times better then elastics or orings.
    Yes 0.12 layer height.

Unfortunately McMaster-Carr isn’t taking any new Canadian clientele.
    They will only do corporate accounts for their American clients who have operations in Canada.

Boolit Master

Hi,
    Can't help with the second printer, but I'm using these Orthodontic Elastics I got on Ebay. In hindsight, I guess the 1/4" or 5/16" would have been plenty, but the 3/8" work well too. I use two or three per side to give me enough tension. Hope this helps.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet Die Elastics.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	277338

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi,
    Can't help with the second printer, but I'm using these Orthodontic Elastics I got on Ebay. In hindsight, I guess the 1/4" or 5/16" would have been plenty, but the 3/8" work well too. I use two or three per side to give me enough tension. Hope this helps.
    Ed
    You know Ed, I don't think I got any feedback on the die from you, or if I did I forgot because I am old. I know you had the initial issue with the ball bearing hole size, which I tweaked. How is it working?

Yes 0.12 layer height.

They will only do corporate accounts for their American clients who have operations in Canada.
    Well that is annoying. I could always buy some and ship them up to my Canadian brothers

I edited my post from when you responded. Please see my other questions.

Boolit Master

You know Ed, I don't think I got any feedback on the die from you, or if I did I forgot because I am old. I know you had the initial issue with the ball bearing hole size, which I tweaked. How is it working?
    Hi TylerR,
    My sincere apologies! Once you got me the updated file and I reprinted, everything came out perfect (and it also works with my bowler hat BB as well!) I wish I could show you a video, but my XL650 isn't completely set up yet. I promise, as soon as it is, I'll post a video. I can tell you when I manually run the die with a stack of bullets, it performs flawlessly.
    Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Which bullets are you trying to feed? I assume the 6.5 you are collating? It should not be tight at all for those, as the opening is actually 7.1mm.
    Are you printing at .12 layer height? If it is still tight try using some acetone with a cleaning jag and smooth out the opening.

Edit: Page 200 WooHoo.
    Yes I’m using the same 140gr Hornady ELD-M.
    I’m using PETG. From what I’ve read it isn’t affected by acetone which is why I will be trying PLA next.
    You do realize that a 6.5mm bullet is actually 0.2644” or 6.72mm.
    A 7mm bullet is 0.284” or 7.2mm

This is the closest thing I have to 7.1mm.

It’s not even close to fitting even if I try to force it.

This drill bit is 6.7mm and will not drop through.
    I can shake it as hard as I can and it won’t drop through.
    Last edited by thump_rrr; 02-10-2021 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi TylerR,
    My sincere apologies! Once you got me the updated file and I reprinted, everything came out perfect (and it also works with my bowler hat BB as well!) I wish I could show you a video, but my XL650 isn't completely set up yet. I promise, as soon as it is, I'll post a video. I can tell you when I manually run the die with a stack of bullets, it performs flawlessly.
    Ed
    Thank you Ed. Looking forward to that video.

Edit: Page 200 WooHoo.
    Yes I’m using the same 140gr Hornady ELD-M.
    I’m using PETG. From what I’ve read it isn’t affected by acetone which is why I will be trying PLA next.
    You do realize that a 6.5mm bullet is actually 0.2644” or 6.72mm.
    A 7mm bullet is 0.284” or 7.2mm

This is the closest thing I have to 7.1mm.

It’s not even close to fitting even if I try to force it.

This drill bit is 6.7mm and will not drop through.
    I can shake it as hard as I can and it won’t drop through.
    Yes I do realize that. I went back and looked at the cad file and it is currently set to 7.2, which you are right, probably wont work for 7mm now that you say. But it should definitely work for 6.5 (6.72). Maybe 7mm would have to be another die. That's kind of what I am trying to figure out. I can certainly open it up further.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I do realize that. I went back and looked at the cad file and it is currently set to 7.2, which you are right, probably wont work for 7mm now that you say. But it should definitely work for 6.5 (6.72). Maybe 7mm would have to be another die. That's kind of what I am trying to figure out. I can certainly open it up further.
    As you can see 1 corner of the support isn’t playing nice. Hopefully it holds up because this is a 20hr print that is only 69% complete. Walls 6 50% fill.

Once this finishes I’ll switch over to PLA and try to get a completed die by tomorrow night.
    At worst this weekend I should have one to test.

I have 101 projects started around the house and they’re all partially completed.
    The video surveillance system only has 5/6 cameras up and running.
    The new modules for the security system have arrived but I would need to replace all 16 end of line resistors which means removing mouldings from every door and window in the house.
    My parts to extend the range of my wifi also came in today.

My engine build for the Mustang has stalled me cause my machinist nearly cut off 2 fingers last month

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuccite View Post
    Given how nice the other items came out..... Maybe something went crazy when it sliced..... Try and re-slice it
    It's printing now with a brim. About 5 hours in and going strong. It should be close to done when I wake up...so hopefully it'll be all good.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes 0.12 layer height.

You can buy a similar motor (Dayton) from Grainger Canada. That is what I did

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    You can buy a similar motor (Dayton) from Grainger Canada. That is what I did
    That's where I purchased mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Bullet feeder die insert update.
    I got up at 3:00am when my post base finished and switched over to PLA.
    I printed the 7MM Die insert in PLA .12 20% as usual.
    Besides the back looking a bit ugly where the joint is it is once again under dimensioned in the interior portions.
    I am using a vernier caliper because I don't have a set of pin gauges.
    My internal dimension are 6.8mm interior at the top, 7.6mm at the bottom
    My external dimensions are 12.1mm below the neck and 16.35mm at the top.

I designed and printed a small washer in Tinkercad with the following dimensions.
    14mm OD. 7.2MM ID. 2mm thickness

Actual print dimensions are 14mm OD. 6.8mm ID. 2.0mm Thickness.

I just found the following article and was wondering if it has any bearing on the print issues I am seeing?
    https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2042

I need to leave for work soon but what I did was open the die insert in Tinkercad. I opened the interior dimension to 7.4mm.
    If my theory is correct I should come home to a print with an internal dimension of 7.0mm.
    I also switched back to PETG since my settings are more dialed in.

Edit#2 Tonight when I get home I may print up a .45ACP bullet die to see if I get the same undersized results.

Last edited by thump_rrr; 02-11-2021 at 09:16 AM. Reason: video

Boolit Buddy
    I know this has been mentioned before but its like 5k pages back somewhere. Tyler, what drawing program are you using again? I am trying to download it at work and just cant remember the name.