RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    The #11 plate works very well with short bullets too. I ran a bunch of nosler 125gr that are 27.52mm. I have a ton of 150 and 160gr too that I can try as well but so far anything thrown at #11 has worked great.
    Can't go wrong with more plates! Just more filament :P Secretly TylerR owns filament stock :P
    Would you do me a favor and test what you can and add them to the compatibility chart? The more we can get on there the better.

I should own stock in filament just with all that I have burned through.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Would you do me a favor and test what you can and add them to the compatibility chart? The more we can get on there the better.

I should own stock in filament just with all that I have burned through.
    Sure! I did test the first version you made of the clutch #11 plate (with supports). works flawless and I'm not opposed to supports. I used my finger to catch it.. boy that was not the greatest idea (tightened the screws a bit tight)

I had previously added the 247gr noe and the Nosler 125gr. Will test all the 30 cal I have. also have 168 and 175 sierra matchkings.. I'll check those to and update.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah its really about the beginning and the end of the video. the 9 minutes in the middle are like watching paint dry.

You might like this video a little better. I think I have decided I like using the flipper instead of the small sweeper for the #11 plate. Still trying to decide.
    Are those the 34.5mm 300bo bullets? I just ordered some not sure their length... I will get one of those plates printed too

Boolit Bub
    TylerR - Just a heads up your Contributors folder has two sets of files named similarly. One is just a "Copy of". Not sure if you meant to overwrite or not. I just wanted to make you aware to save some folks confusion.

Thanks!

Woke up this morning....and it was Christmas......again.

Almost my turn to test.....I didn't even think about printing that new slider ramp. The regular ramp and slide don't work? Don't remember why the new one...

Happy to be able to say, no more layer lifting at the lower temps. That's still confusing why higher temps work best for you.....is your basement near freezing?

Quote Originally Posted by Anuccite View Post
    Are those the 34.5mm 300bo bullets? I just ordered some not sure their length... I will get one of those plates printed too
    Yes they are. 230gr lee mold.

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    TylerR - Just a heads up your Contributors folder has two sets of files named similarly. One is just a "Copy of". Not sure if you meant to overwrite or not. I just wanted to make you aware to save some folks confusion.

Thanks!
    I just got rid of them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post

Almost my turn to test.....I didn't even think about printing that new slider ramp. The regular ramp and slide don't work? Don't remember why the new one...

Happy to be able to say, no more layer lifting at the lower temps. That's still confusing why higher temps work best for you.....is your basement near freezing?
    Christmas red even. I like it.

If you try using a regular rifle plate with a really long bullet, like my 34.4mm ones, they just never drop in the holes. The will just ride around on top indefinitely. The whole point of the #11 plate is that they slide in and down from the side of the hole. Try putting the longest bullet you have in a regular plate and you will see what I mean.

Christmas red even. I like it.

If you try using a regular rifle plate with a really long bullet, like my 34.4mm ones, they just never drop in the holes. The will just ride around on top indefinitely. The whole point of the #11 plate is that they slide in and down from the side of the hole. Try putting the longest bullet you have in a regular plate and you will see what I mean.
    This #11 is the only .30 cal rifle plate I've printed.....hoping it'll work for more normal lengths too.

My question was about the sliders...."The regular ramp and slide don't work? Don't remember why the new one?"...the #11 slider is the only one that has it's own ramp. I don't remember why the second ramp. In your video it certainly works great with the long bullets, but I don't have any bullets of extraordinary lengths. So here I am.... my next learning experience......sliders. You have a million and I know that's to make it so you don't have to adjust them ad-nausium. But figuring out which one to use... for what ... is the mud clogging this old head.

So for these, I will need to print 2 different slides, most likely, or will the one with the ramp work for all of these? Experimentation, I know, but thinking you'd know better than me where to start?

This #11 is the only .30 cal rifle plate I've printed.....hoping it'll work for more normal lengths too.

My question was about the sliders...."The regular ramp and slide don't work? Don't remember why the new one?"...the #11 slider is the only one that has it's own ramp. I don't remember why the second ramp. In your video it certainly works great with the long bullets, but I don't have any bullets of extraordinary lengths. So here I am.... my next learning experience......sliders. You have a million and I know that's to make it so you don't have to adjust them ad-nausium. But figuring out which one to use... for what ... is the mud clogging this old head.

So for these, I will need to print 2 different slides, most likely, or will the one with the ramp work for all of these? Experimentation, I know, but thinking you'd know better than me where to start?
    I have to admit, now you have me confused. You use the #11 collator plate with the #11 slide plate (either nose up or nose down). Both are very unique and look nothing like their "normal" counterparts. It's as simple as that.

Okay......got it. So depending on bullet length, slide it in or move it out.....right?

Okay......got it. So depending on bullet length, slide it in or move it out.....right?
    No. You would only slide it out if you needed a little more ridge exposed, say for a boat tail. The length of the bullet has nothing to do with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there any way to get a bullet feed die set for 6.5 Creemoor?
    I tried opening up the .308 bullet feeder die file in Fusion 360 and it’s giving me a size of 88mm not 8.8mm.
    The software side of things makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Is there any way to get a bullet feed die set for 6.5 Creemoor?
    I tried opening up the .308 bullet feeder die file in Fusion 360 and it’s giving me a size of 88mm not 8.8mm.
    The software side of things makes me want to bang my head against the wall.
    Yes, I could probably do that for you. I have to make a few tweaks anyway to them so I will see about creating one. You need to do some legwork for me though. Over the different weights for that caliber, what are the max and min length of the bullet. I will need that info to space the holes properly.

Boolit Buddy

Layer shifting also comes from printing too fast and the filament is not cooling down fast enough. My Ender3 Pro I print at 80mm/sec, on my cr-10s I can only go as fast as 50 or I will get much layer shifting and the table the printer is sitting on moves around like an earthquake. The smaller printers in my opinion seems to handle the faster speed easy because of size, the bigger print bed (forget it).

Running print jobs in Cura seems to take a lot longer than in simplify3d, its just a matter of getting used to the software differences.

Yes, I could probably do that for you. I have to make a few tweaks anyway to them so I will see about creating one. You need to do some legwork for me though. Over the different weights for that caliber, what are the max and min length of the bullet. I will need that info to space the holes properly.
    For the record I am going to try and create one die that will handle 6.5 and 7mm.

Boolit Man
    For the record I am going to try and create one die that will handle 6.5 and 7mm.
    Overachiever :P Not all heroes wear capes!

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    Overachiever :P Not all heroes wear capes!
    I never said it would actually work.

Boolit Master

My latest build

Hi all,
    My good friend TylerR was fussing at me for not posting more, so here's my latest build for my new (to me) XL650. I finished the plate last night using TylerR's updated OpenSCAD plate builder with the hex clutch drive option. You'll notice that my collator is the smaller AmmoMike83 version, yet I had absolutely no problem with setting up the plate and printing it. I used #6-32 x 3/4" screws and Nylock nuts to set the clutch. I'm still waiting on my prox switch to come in, then it's just a matter of putting it all together and using it.
    Ed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate Print 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	276876 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plate print 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	276877 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Collator..jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	276878

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi all,
    My good friend TylerR was fussing at me for not posting more, so here's my latest build for my new (to me) XL650. I finished the plate last night using TylerR's updated OpenSCAD plate builder with the hex clutch drive option. You'll notice that my collator is the smaller AmmoMike83 version, yet I had absolutely no problem with setting up the plate and printing it. I used #6-32 x 3/4" screws and Nylock nuts to set the clutch. I'm still waiting on my prox switch to come in, then it's just a matter of putting it all together and using it.
    Ed
    Now isn't that puuuurdy?!!! I can't wait to see that bad boy in action.