Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good problem to have!

Boolit Master

I don't know if this works, but I was told that if you reverse the blade on a power saw, it will cut lead sheet. You don't have the problem of the teeth filling with lead or suddenly sticking in the metal and causing the saw to kick. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense to me.

Boolit Buddy
    Let us know your location and I am sure you will get some help. PM of you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I don't know if this works, but I was told that if you reverse the blade on a power saw, it will cut lead sheet. You don't have the problem of the teeth filling with lead or suddenly sticking in the metal and causing the saw to kick. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense to me.
    when I worked a farm back in the 70's, we cut a lot of corrugated roofing metal with a "reversed blade" in a circular saw. Neat trick.

jd

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    Rather than the chain saw,, I would use a wood splitter to cut the rolled lead logs.

My wood splitter will cross cut a 8" oak branch,, I would bet the oak is 10X stronger than the lead.

So, simply roll the lead "logs" a couple inches smaller than the splitter wedge.
    that would work too

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    ive dont LOTS of cutting with a skill saw with the blade on the correct way and never had it plug up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Make a big pot from a propane tank cut just under the top radius it will hold 350-400 lbs of lead. I made a coal burner from 3 or 4 16 1/2 truck rims. cut centers out of all but one set up on a block base fill with stoker coal up 8" or so sit pot in and fill around it. Ignite and when burning good use a shop vac for a blower. with a filled pot. This will melt the pot full in a little less than an hour once the bed of coals is going good with the blower. Once you see molten you can probably shut blower off. As you melt add coal around pot to burn down.

When working on this scale you need a lot of ingot moulds. I use 8 5 cavity angle iron moulds that make 3 1/2 lb ingots. this is enough so the first is cooled enough when the last is poured. A big ladle you want to pour at least in ingot with a dip my ladle holds just over 20 lbs. a bigger scrapper and strainer. Wear the PPE have plenty of room to work a lot of
    cold water.you want good solid work surfaces. When your pouring ingots the big pot will fill a large area with ingots. when you start melting the next pot these can be stacked and stored away.

Have a dolly for moving ingots handy. a ladle that can be operated with 2 hands a 3' long handle is good. a big bucket for dross.
    yup ingot molds were the biggest obstacle i had when i did it. Neighbor and i spent 3 days making ingot molds out of steel he had and i still didnt have enough. Kind of nice to have enough so that by the time you fill the last one the first one is cool enough to dump and refill.

Boolit Master
    Well, I am planning on a trial run. I have a friend who does cast concrete and has fence post molds and large brick molds that are made out of aluminum - we tested a small batch and they held up just fine (and cooled down quickly after). I have an old crucible from a silver mine that I can hang from an overhead hoist that should hold around 600# +/- at a time (and can be tipped to pour) I have around a ton of coal that I plan to use in conjunction with a couple of weed burners for heat. I am going to try pinching the bigger pieces down to size with the thumb on an excavator.
    A couple of problems I foresee - should I preheat the lead over a big wood fire to make sure that the snow / water is all gone before putting into the crucible?
    How critical is it to get rust out of the crucible prior to starting?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    "should I preheat the lead over a big wood fire to make sure that the snow / water is all gone before putting into the crucible?" ----- Having totally dry lead is only really crucial if you are planning to add raw material into molten lead. If you start each pot from empty, moisture will be gone by the time the lead starts to melt.

How critical is it to get rust out of the crucible prior to starting? ---- Not critical at all, the rust (if it detaches) will float to the top to be skimmed as dross.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

The pre heat will allow for you to eave a small amount in the pot, 1-2" of molten left really speeds up the next pots melting. You dont have to really pre heat it a lot get it to 250* and moisture should be gone. The big problem will be keeping it from getting soft or melting into the fire. Youll want heavy tongs for moving the heated pieces.

The rust will float to the top with the first fluxing scrapping of the pot. A free swinging pot may make it harder to scrape and flux though. If you can get the pot mounted solid it will make working a lot easier. Also a ring around the pot will help hold more heat in making melting faster and quicker.

A burn ring under the hoist lower down in melt and flux while sitting solid then raise and pour as needed. One plus is 600 lbs will hold heat along time while off the fire.

Boolit Buddy

Many people on this site tell stories of 1000's of pounds of lead from hospitals. Over the years I have visited the 3 major hospitals in our area and every dentist I can find and every single one has said they turn it in for scrap money.I find it hard to believe any one of them would turn down 1000's of dollars from scrap. You must live a charmed life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopgrandpa View Post
    Many people on this site tell stories of 1000's of pounds of lead from hospitals. Over the years I have visited the 3 major hospitals in our area and every dentist I can find and every single one has said they turn it in for scrap money.I find it hard to believe any one of them would turn down 1000's of dollars from scrap. You must live a charmed life.
    Well, my wife and I contribute a great deal to that hospital and we are fortunate enough to be close with many people that work there. Also - I agreed to let them store a fair amount of things on a lot I own adjacent to the facility that is being remodeled.
    Sounds like what we are going to do with a good chunk of this is make fishing sinkers for the 4H clubs and Boy Scouts to sell for a fund raising item this year.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Maybe what's available depends on who does the demo and hauling and how big the medical entity is. If there's no paperwork needed for dealing with "hazardous waste", and if you pay more than the scrap yard and especially if you save them the expense and manpower for hauling and maybe even demo, many small offices and small contractors' on site managers would at least consider your proposition. If you have to deal with the contractor's higher ups or a hospital administration you'd like get "no's" across the board because they may have regulations and contractual agreements they need to follow.

I would probably just use an ax for the size-reduction step of processing. Congrats!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Man
    If I had had the time a few years ago, I could have scored a similar haul. Lead counterweight on a research telescope's bull gear. Too heavy to lift easily by the recycler, cast in place onto the steel gear I gather. Eventually they got a bigger crane and a semi up for it, last time I was at that site in 2017 it was long gone. The mechanic did save me some of the 25 lb lead bricks though, he prefers steel counter weighting (and also felt that casting boolits was a reasonable activity ).

An old wise man said that if you send some to the person who creates post #35, you will receive good luck for years to come. That wise man has always been correct.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Bub
    Just happy to hear it's being recycled for casting and not simply scraped.

Good find for you and your local Scout Troop. Merry Christmas
    NRA Benefactor