RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry has seen the light!

Henry has seen the light!

All steel models now will have SIDE GATES! Something they should have had from the beginning and through the persistent requests have finally accepted.

NOW, if they would chamber something in 357 Maximum, 375 Winchester, and 444 Marlin! The three high performance rimmed straight walls that can allow you to reach out an touch something with a traditional levergun.

Boolit Master
    Now if they changed the rifles to a top eject style, they might actually have something I might want.

Boolit Buddy
    I would buy one in 357 Max.

Later,
    Stephen

Now if they changed the rifles to a top eject style, they might actually have something I might want.
    This is exactly the opposite of how I feel. What advantage is offered by top eject? I can name the following disadvantages. Either you can't or it is difficult to mount optics in the usual way. It allows snow and rain to drop into your action. It pops hot brass straight up in the air which likes to fall down your shirt. I have an angle-ejecting Mossberg 464. I greatly prefer the Marlin/Henry design, personally. I could never abide by the hokey tube loading method of the Henry. For about 6 years I've been writing letters say put a side gate on the steel ones at least. They finally have and I will buy one. Probably a 44.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    This is exactly the opposite of how I feel. What advantage is offered by top eject? I can name the following disadvantages. Either you can't or it is difficult to mount optics in the usual way. It allows snow and rain to drop into your action. It pops hot brass straight up in the air which likes to fall down your shirt. I have an angle-ejecting Mossberg 464. I greatly prefer the Marlin/Henry design, personally. I could never abide by the hokey tube loading method of the Henry. For about 6 years I've been writing letters say put a side gate on the steel ones at least. They finally have and I will buy one. Probably a 44.
    Top eject is traditional and accepted by both NCOWS and SASS. Side eject is not. Original Henrys were top eject.

Their commercials on OAN make me want to buy from them.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Just a question on top eject - does it not make the action more symmetrical? As in vibration harmonics symmetrical, which might affect accuracy? Anyway, I prefer a side eject, not that I have a lever gun or ever will. I still like them though.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    I'm not too hung up on the side gate thing and I prefer the side eject for mounting optic. I have the Henry octagon barrel 45-70 that has the case hardened colors and is tube fed. It's topped with a 6X fixed power scope and is accurate and powerful, very happy with it. I certainly don't NEED one but would love to have a Henry in 444 Marlin and enjoy shooting my friend Wes's In 41mag. Gp

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I am waiting for a 38-55 ... They have a 30-30 that’s not much different
    Regards
    John

John Boy....I'm with you except I'd like the 35 Rem in Blue Steel and Wood. I don't really like the Brass receiver.....seems they are missing it with their new additions.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    John Boy....I'm with you except I'd like the 35 Rem in Blue Steel and Wood. I don't really like the Brass receiver.....seems they are missing it with their new additions.

redhawk
    The caliber 35 Remington is on my wish list for a lever gun. I have the break barrel Handi and like the round a lot. Gp

Boolit Master

Glad to hear it..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Side eject is not.
    So I guess Marlins aren't SASS or NCOWS or whatever approved?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Top eject is traditional and accepted by both NCOWS and SASS. Side eject is not. Original Henrys were top eject.
    While it may be hard to accept, the world does not revolve around Cowboy Action Shooting.
    Uberti, Navy Arms, and others sold a ton of 1866 and 1873 rifle replicas before CAS came into existence in the mid-1980s, along with black powder revolvers, SAA replicas, and Remington 1875 replicas.
    And, many hunters and shooters today have and will buy Henry Steel and Brass rifles and will never go near a CAS match.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    So I guess Marlins aren't SASS or NCOWS or whatever approved?
    It was my understanding that the Marlin 1894 Cowboy came into being to appeal to CAS shooters, and that they were very popular. And, that the standard 1894 was being used before that.
    Apparently SASS approves of any pre-1898 design with an external hammer, as long as the cartridges are loaded down to their standards.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 11-30-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    A question about the "brass" receiver Henry rifles: Is the metal brass (weak metal) or is it admiralty bronze (stronger than mild steel)?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    A question about the "brass" receiver Henry rifles: Is the metal brass (weak metal) or is it admiralty bronze (stronger than mild steel)?
    It only looks like brass. It is some kind of metal alloy. Supposedly very strong.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

Never had one, but could never understand what the big deal was about them not having a side gate. Just a different set up, learn to use it, no problem.

Too many purists out there who can't think beyond "this is the way it's supposed to be".

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I am waiting for a 38-55 ... They have a 30-30 that’s not much different
    I read that they are offering the 38-55.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/11/hen...#axzz6g9oUSBeg

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE][Top eject is traditional and accepted by both NCOWS and SASS. Side eject is not. Original Henrys were top eje Top eject is traditional and accepted by both NCOWS and SASS. Side eject is not. Original Henrys were top eject. ct./QUOTE]
    There are probably five hundred hunters who’d buy that gun for every person wanting it for cowboy action shooting, etc.