Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Whats a fair price for reclaimed birdshot

Whats a fair price for reclaimed birdshot

whats a fair price for reclaimed birdshot from a skeet range this has just been cleaned NOT regrapited ?

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on the quality. I have seen good reclaim for about $26 but that was three years ago
    Don Verna

per pound that is

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't pay more than $1 per pound. I just bought 6 bags of new magnum shot for $1.36 per pound.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I been getting it for 1$ a pound kinda clean and regraphited, 20$ per 25 lbs dirty. And I mean DIRTY,2 1/2 lbs of dross when melted.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

At this point, its clean scrap Lead.

Whatever a local scrap yard is paying for Lead now when you haul it in-- that's what its worth.

For what it is, and where it is:
    Make your best deal from there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Last summer a local range was selling uncleaned for $20 for 25 pounds with volume discounts.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I pay market price for reclaimed dirty just out of the ground shot. Guys are selling cleaned, screened and graphited reclaimed lead for $1.25 a pound around here.

Boolit Master
    Rotometals will sell air cleaned ungraphited mixed shot for as little as $1.35 a pound, but it isn't screened, may still have some debris in it, and to get that price you have to buy 3000 pounds. Washed and regraphited shot is close to $2.00 a pound.

Boolit Master
    I've used reclaimed shot that was given to me and won't do it again. I'd gladly pay a decent price for better cast bullet material that wasn't such a job to work with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    I wouldn't pay more than $1 per pound. I just bought 6 bags of new magnum shot for $1.36 per pound.

Don
    May I ask where you're gettingit? I'm kind of getting into shotgunning now and want to start using my handloads.

Boolit Master
    Got it thru my trap and skeet club. They did a big purchase with a big retail outfit. Unfortunately, when I buy it locally I pay about $1.60 per pound.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I've used reclaimed shot that was given to me and won't do it again. I'd gladly pay a decent price for better cast bullet material that wasn't such a job to work with.
    Whats the problem with good cleaned reclaimed? Ya you don't always get exactly 1 1/8 oz shot drops or whatever weight your dropping but other then that I have had no issues. Reclaimed breaks targets just fine, I use 7/8 oz loads for 16 yard trap without any issues and 1 oz for the rest of my trap needs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydogs View Post
    Whats the problem with good cleaned reclaimed? Ya you don't always get exactly 1 1/8 oz shot drops or whatever weight your dropping but other then that I have had no issues. Reclaimed breaks targets just fine, I use 7/8 oz loads for 16 yard trap without any issues and 1 oz for the rest of my trap needs.
    Much of it had a coating that left a hollow shell-like residue that would float to the top of the mix when melted, but the residue contained lead. Once you crush the residue against the side of the pot with a dipper, the lead separates and everything else can be skimmed off and discarded. Sounds easy, but if you have a large quantity, this porcess is time consuming and messy. I'd prefer to start with a better material. However, what's left over is good bullet alloy with a BHN of around 14-15.

Boolit Master
    I think Muddydogs is talking about shooting reclaimed shot, not melting it down for the lead. I'm not a shotgunner, but it seems that if it shoots OK, reloading with salvaged shot is a way of cutting costs, an attractive proposition for a lot of us.

I assume the shot cup prevents barrel abrasion from any stone left in the reused shot?

Starting out, I was tempted to buy a large amount of salvaged shot as source material. Reading here about the headaches involved made me glad I didn't.