RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removal of Antimony from lead?

Boolit Master
    While you never really completely eliminate it, you do drive the antimony content of an alloy down to next to nothing by adding a lot of pure lead to your high antimony lead. Easy peasy.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I kept researching this and found another process which is very doable at reasonable cost. Basically you need a vacuum pump, a chilled vapor trap, and a way to get your molten alloy up to 840oC in a sealed melting vessel (large pipe fittings will do). You could use an automotive A/C vacuum pump, so some of you might already have the equipment. Where there is a will, there's a way. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...04389418300177 gives outline.

Boolit Master
    While it might take care of the antimony, it did not clearly address the danger of acid fumes and other contaminates present in battery lead.

Please do not mess with battery lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mpkunz View Post
    ...you need a vacuum pump, a chilled vapor trap, and a way to get your molten alloy up to 840oC in a sealed melting vessel (large pipe fittings will do).
    Uh, let's see, this or add pure lead to your pot.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    Don't discount WW lead in any black powder gun, muzzle loader or cartridge guns, it will work just fine. I know of many shooters that use WW or comparable lead in their black powder guns without a hitch.

Shad
    I cast a bunch of Minie Balls for my Zouave by mistakenly using a big “sash weight” style chunk of Linotype. Loading was a little tough and accuracy left a lot to be desired. I don’t want to make that mistake again, so now I cast all of my ML bullets from pure lead. I might be able to sneak in some other stuff, but why risk it?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I think it's fair to say that most of us scrounge and process lead on a much smaller scale than could be described as "industrial", so equipment and techniques for eliminating unwanted metals that need huge capital investments that don't pay off until you involve major economies of scale are out.