Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Any way to salvage lead from lead paint?

Boolit Bub

Any way to salvage lead from lead paint?

A pal has a few gallons and wants to be rid of the stuff. The cans are heavy!
    If there is a way to do it, I'd be happy to help but I'm not exactly sure if it can be safely done.
    Anyone try this?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I can’t say I’m an expert, but logically even if you could, I don’t think it would be worth your time and costs.

Boolit Grand Master

I may be wrong, but I always thought the lead in paint is lead oxide....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I may be wrong, but I always thought the lead in paint is lead oxide....
    Yup they call it white lead. Don't know how hard it would be to turn back into lead. Some kind of witchcraft alchemy going on for that I suppose.

Boolit Master

From my 'working on the railroad' days, I seem to recall that the 'lead' paints used as anti-corrosion coatings did not contain any straight lead; the pigments were a mix of various lead oxides. To reclaim any actual lead, you'd have to boil off the solvent(s) from the liquid, then chemically break down the remaining pigment into it's base components. Considering that you're in California, I doubt you'd get through step 1 without a visit from your friendly local EPA guys...not to mention that the fumes just might be sufficiently toxic to kill you.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I also recall the lead was lead oxide. That would be the nasty white powdery covering that lead gets as corrosion. Highly toxic if separated and not in the least useful. With a bunch of fluxing one can drive that oxide dross back into the melt but...

Let us suppose there was a grossly overestimated 2 lbs. of lead in a gallon of paint. Gallon does 300 sq. ft. of painting. All of the paint in a 10 x 10 room with 8 ft. ceiling would be worth about $2.50 or $3 if you just went to S&S and bought it. IF lead was 2# to the gallon lead content (not even close to that much) and you could recover 100% (doubtful) and the lead content was way higher than I think it is.... Work your tail off and risk your life to get a couple of bucks worth of lead?

Way easier to send $30 and get 20+ some pounds of it in a SFRB delivered and ready to go.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    If I had a couple buckets of lead paint I’d use it to paint something! It sticks like nothing made today.

Boolit Master

It would probably be easier to build a rocket ship and mine for lead on the next passing asteroid.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    It would probably be easier to build a rocket ship and mine for lead on the next passing asteroid.
    You should be aware the Chinese are already going for this same process. They can get sort of prickly when they claim something and others come near it. Even those that already owned it so.... maybe not a great source of lead. Now if one wanted 400 billion in gold there is an asteroid for that! Expect the line to form at the moon for going to claim it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    You should be aware the Chinese are already going for this same process. They can get sort of prickly when they claim something and others come near it. Even those that already owned it so.... maybe not a great source of lead. Now if one wanted 400 billion in gold there is an asteroid for that! Expect the line to form at the moon for going to claim it.
    I read about that.
    I wonder how those space traveling sourdough prospectors will make out?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    If I had a couple buckets of lead paint I’d use it to paint something! It sticks like nothing made today.
    Plus 1. What color is it? I don't think I'd paint any interior house surfaces with it, especially where children are present, but outside stuff, no problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Plus 1. What color is it? I don't think I'd paint any interior house surfaces with it, especially where children are present, but outside stuff, no problem.
    You don't want to apply it to anything even remotely connected to 'residential'...take that from an old restoration contractor. Under most building codes, even exterior materials coated with lead-based paints MUST be treated as HAZMAT which means they can't go into a public landfill. Old exterior wood (siding or trim), painted with lead-base, can be left in place and painted over with an oil-base enamel or you can apply new siding over the old but, if you strip it off, it must be disposed of in accordance with EPA requirements for lead-contaminated waste. Been there, done that on a neighborhood restoration project, and it ain't cheap!!

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-01-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    You don't want to apply it to anything even remotely connected to 'residential'...take that from an old restoration contractor. Under most building codes, even exterior materials coated with lead-based paints MUST be treated as HAZMAT which means they can't go into a public landfill. Old exterior wood (siding or trim), painted with lead-base, can be left in place and painted over with an oil-base enamel or you can apply new siding over the old but, if you strip it off, it must be disposed of in accordance with EPA requirements for lead-contaminated waste. Been there, done that on a neighborhood restoration project, and it ain't cheap!!

Bill
    You’re more the expert, but when I lived in Chicago the rule was that an individual could do whatever he or she wanted with lead and asbestos removed from a residence, it only got prickly when a contractor got involved. That said, I agree with your suggestion, I’d pain the shed but not the house.

It might be easier to get the lead out of old gasoline.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    You’re more the expert, but when I lived in Chicago the rule was that an individual could do whatever he or she wanted with lead and asbestos removed from a residence, it only got prickly when a contractor got involved. That said, I agree with your suggestion, I’d pain the shed but not the house.
    Many individuals repairing/upgrading their own property don't obtain a Building Permit and, therefore, there's no Building Safety Inspection upon completion of work or requirement to account for disposal of hazardous waste...which is okay as long as there's no hazmat or structural, electrical, or plumbing beyond limits of local codes. On the other hand, if the work does fall under code and the owner fails to obtain a permit and gets caught...it can get very sticky. Knew of a case once where a homeowner didn't bother with an electrical permit and had to rip out all the drywall and insulation from a family-room addition to prevent the electrical inspector from tagging the whole house as 'Unsafe for Occupancy'.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't use that paint now, first test done to a home for sale would be lead testing, inside or out you may cause problems. Especially in a place like Cali, you'd have to be crazy to use it. Once found/reported you'll need a certified company to remove it...$$$$$$.

California Civil Code Section 1941.1; California Health & Safety Code Sections 17961, 17980, 124130, 17920.10, 105251 to 105257

Deems a building to be in violation of the State Housing Law if it contains lead hazards, and requires local enforcement agencies to enforce provisions related to lead hazards. Makes it a crime for a person to engage in specified acts related to lead hazard evaluation, abatement, and lead-related constructions courses, unless certified or accredited by the Department. Permits local enforcement agencies to order the abatement of lead hazards or issue a cease and desist order in response to lead hazards.

Real Estate Disclosure Requirements

(California Civil Code Sections 1102 to 1102.16)

Requires the disclosure of known lead-based paint hazards upon sale of a property.
    http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...2.&article=1.5.

http://www.homesafetraining.com/pdfs/CAregsHandOut.pdf