Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh Boy it chambered

I know of a guy who fired a 7.62 X 39 out of a 243 Win bolt rifle.
    Can you imagine the pressure it took to push a 31 cal. Jacketed bullet down a 24 cal. bore ?
    I was told the gun was unharmed ? ��

Jedman

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    black powder bill my problem is i just love the really old and unusual were chamber gauges are no available. so a chamber cast is a must. you can't imagine how many times i have bought old guns from shops only to find they are not the caliber stared. they have no way to easily check so they take who ever traded it in's word. or in some cases guess. the better shops will tell me they are not sure. a very few others act indigent when you say it wasn't the caliber they said don't return to these in fucture.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    black powder bill my problem is i just love the really old and unusual were chamber gauges are no available. so a chamber cast is a must. you can't imagine how many times i have bought old guns from shops only to find they are not the caliber stared. they have no way to easily check so they take who ever traded it in's word. or in some cases guess. the better shops will tell me they are not sure. a very few others act indigent when you say it wasn't the caliber they said don't return to these in fucture.
    Red Bear, oh I would have cast the chamber but the customer declined the work.
    I never did ask why he purchased the rifle with unknown caliber. It was an auction deal. I see many of them here. Everyone works on the big money saving deal.
    A few months back one came in with a stuck .308 case in a 7. Something.

Another phone call I got a Savage Varnint 223. Got a really great deal on it. I called the factory and they tell me it has a 1 in 12 twist. What twist do you think it is?

How do I know I have to see it to check it.
    He got to hunt hogs with & wants to shoot a heavier bullet.

Guy wants me to buy a flintlock muzzleloader. Price is fair I know I can clean it up and flip it.
    Tells me it has a Douglas Barrel on it rattles off all this stuff I say any pictures?

picture show up later that day dawns filthy hasn't been cleaned and it has a Green Mountain Barrel on it.

He tells me ya, I was at a reenactment this weekend. we were firing blanks I just haven't cleaned it yet.

A guy over on a muzzle loading form I'm on now. Bragg's he can clean both of his muzzleloaders in 10 minutes and he's never taken a lock apart, you don't need to.
    he's got a couple thousand subscribers on his YouTube channel and everyone thinks he's great.
    What can I say

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Early Mini 30's sized a .310"-311" bullet down to .308" with every shot. .284" to .277" is pushing it but I can see how gun and shooter survived.
    Ron Spomer admitted to firing a 7-08 thru his Dakota single shot 25-06 once. No harm to gun or shooter according to him And Dakota....
    Be careful and Merry Christmas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had a Garand with a corroded barrel............I demonstrated to a friend how it would fire 308s without a problem.......anyway he bought it off me,and continued to use surplus 308 s in it...he says....."they got a lot less recoil than 30-06."...........its a bit like trying to explain to a woman... why water goes in the radiator,oil goes in the engine.

Confused as to why you would even get involved with someone who doesn't want a chamber cast?
    Also, why chance a lawsuit?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Confused as to why you would even get involved with someone who doesn't want a chamber cast?
    Also, why chance a lawsuit?
    He brought the rifle in & wanted to know what was wrong.
    I told him & gave him the opportunity to pay for a casting.

Boolit Master
    I've often wondered if a 7.62 Nato could be fired in a 7.5 French chamber. If so it might explain some of the recurring myths about they can use our ammunition in their guns but not the other way around.
    I ran across a Vietnam bring back cut down MAS 36 years ago, a Viet Cong rifle.

Even if the ammunition couldn't be used as is discarded or lost cartridges would supply powder and projectile for reloading.

Boolit Master

Just speculating, but I would imagine that the shop that sold the guy the 7-08 ammo did a simple check comparing a bullet to the bore diameter, then seeing what would fit in the chamber. I'm surprised that they arrived at the 7-08 instead of the much more common .270 Win.

As to why the gun was undamaged: though the bullet is oversized for the bore (increasing pressures), the chamber is also oversized for the cartridge (lowering pressures). Shooting a 7-08 in a .270 chamber is effectively the same as loading a 7-08 powder charge and bullet in a .270 case. That's the only reason numbskulls can shoot an 8mm Mauser round in a 30-06 and live to tell about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Early Mini 14s sized a .310"-311" bullet down to .308" with every shot. .284" to .277" is pushing it but I can see how gun and shooter survived.
    Ron Spomer admitted to firing a 7-08 thru his Dakota single shot 25-06 once. No harm to gun or shooter according to him And Dakota....
    Be careful and Merry Christmas.

Mini "30" 7.62x39mm NOT mini "14" .223 Rem

Quote Originally Posted by m.chalmers View Post
    Mini "30" 7.62x39mm NOT mini "14" .223 Rem
    Thanks! I went back and fixed it. I still call my brother's mini 30 a "mini 14" it's just subliminal I guess.....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Just speculating, but I would imagine that the shop that sold the guy the 7-08 ammo did a simple check comparing a bullet to the bore diameter, then seeing what would fit in the chamber. I'm surprised that they arrived at the 7-08 instead of the much more common .270 Win.

As to why the gun was undamaged: though the bullet is oversized for the bore (increasing pressures), the chamber is also oversized for the cartridge (lowering pressures). Shooting a 7-08 in a .270 chamber is effectively the same as loading a 7-08 powder charge and bullet in a .270 case. That's the only reason numbskulls can shoot an 8mm Mauser round in a 30-06 and live to tell about it.
    He purchased the rifle at an auction. I see many like this. Good deals and everyone is a mystery.