Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: A question

Boolit Master

A question

I have a 45/70 Marlin 1895. It is a Ballard rifling barrel. Now, with the castings, are they pure lead, or a WW mix?
    I have lots of both, so I can blend my pot.
    Also, anyone have any experience with 45/45/10 lube mixes. It does sound like the Grail to me. I have lots of Alox, and can get JPW. If it is good, I will make a batch for sure.

For my Marlin 1895 I use clip on wheel weight with about 2% tin added for fill out in the mold. No leading problems, my mold is a ranch dog 350 gr. with gas check. I size to .460 and get consistant 1 to 1-1/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards using IMR-4198 powder. My lube is White label 2500

I just got my 1895 a little while back and I've shot mostly PC boolits... But I have lubed up about 50 in Bens Red. Those rounds were ladders of various sorts that were 25 PB and 25 GC. My alloy was as close as I can get to Lyman #2. I shot up to 54 grn Varget with a GC boolit with no leading (but some bruising). My PB loads were much lower around 40-44 grn varget.

Funny thing was: From 40 grn varget to 50 grain varget was from reasonable to bang (we will call this 1 recoil unit). Then from 50 to 51 was 1 more recoil unit and 51 to 52 was 2 recoil units... I didn't shoot the 54 until I had a recoil pad. I'm not really averse to recoil but good lord that was some push.

Anyway, I had a clean barrel with Ben's Red even at Rockum-Sockum loads.

With PC, I've only shot 4198 and I shot about 30 GC rounds with 46 grn of 4198. It's a stout load. I found it pretty accurate and have had no leading.

If you have any Johnson's liquid lube, you could make up some BLL for tumble lube...dries hard and fast. 3 coats for rifles = no leading with proper boolit fit. It IS the graile for tumble lubeing for me.

If not, try the JPW and 45/45/10, or better yet, use the JPW and make Ben's Red.
    I've run both BLL and Ben's Red to 26- 2700 fps. in 35 and 30 cal. rifles without a spec of lead in the bore.

Boolit Master
    I use 3 parts Pb to one part COWW. The 535 gr. Lyman is the only bullet I could get accuracy from. Has to be single loaded and they better fire because they won't extract with bullet intact.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Lee 405 HB. 45/45/10 then switched to BLL. COWW + 2 % tin. No problems. But I am only pushing ~1300-1400 fps

Boolit Master
    Over the last few decades of casting fishing jigs for my business, I have found the alloy of COWW to be quite variable. I would use at least 30% pure in your alloy plus some extra tin just in case.