MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The very best 1911 magazine?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I believe I have found the perfect 1911 magazine. In addition to holding more rounds it feeds everything without a single problem. I have a number of different 1911 magazines from mil surplus to Colt Gold Cup national match magazines to the ultra high dollar ones. The only one I have found so far that will feed any combination of bullet styles and or a mix in the Brownells 8 shot with the bumper on the bottom.

This mag will flawlessly feed the Magma 200gr SWC and 185 Magma SWC bullets which no other mag would feed without problems.
    Also my experience! Starting to off load all other brands in favor of the brownells ,work better than any other mag I've used in all my 1911s!

In 10mm, I've had the best luck with:

1. Tripp Research 9 rounders - these stick out a bit farther than others, but you can ram the magazine home easily on a closed slide.
    2. Checkmate 9 round - Less expensive and very reliable in my Kimber. They do not insert easily on a closed slide.

Arclight

another vote for Tripp Reasearch. i also replaced all springs and followers on my Wilson,Chip,Meggar,Colt,and G.I. mags with the Tripp Research springs and followers which make them reliable 7 rounders. if i can't end it in seven.... i guess i'm headed for Heaven....

Boolit Buddy
    I have enough 1911's in the safe that I occasionally, momentarily forget that no, you can not possibly own too many 1911's. 47Ds always feed in every one of my .45acp's (except of course the double stack Paras) as do my CMC mags. Every other brand including Brownells has at least hiccuped in one weapon or another over the years. Stick a 47D in it's place and she runs 100%. Only Wilson's at matches for me.
    As far as 9mm 1911's I have had perfect performance from Metalform's "Springfield style" mags with the spacer/ramp in the front. Running them in Colt, Kimber and an RIA, should start looking to sell off all my rear spacer mags lol.

Boolit Master
    I've used the Shooting Star mags in three different 1911's, including a Commander, and never had a hiccup. FMJ, SWC, TC and various HP, from 185 to 230gn. Lead, plated, copper jacket. Even when loaded with 8rds.

Have had a Wilson and it worked well.

Boolit Master
    Wilson Combat 8 rd magazines are currently on sale at Brownells for less at than the Brownells mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

I really like the Wilson 47D mags, they are my favorite. They have worked very well for years in all four of my 1911's.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Wilson Combat 8 rd magazines are currently on sale at Brownells for less at than the Brownells mags.
    Indeed they are! And more are heading this way right now; can't pass on 'em for that price.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the report!

Boolit Buddy
    Tripp Cobras for my 1911's. They feed everything from 185gr J word WC's to soft swage 230gr RN's. Not cheap but they work.

Groo here
    There are 3 types of feed lips used in the 45acp 1911.
    The original mill spec was for 230gr fmj and feeds hard ball like magic [thank you JMB]
    The second is for SWC /target rounds aka "short nose " bullets.
    The newest is a "blending " of the two and works with the flat nose HP bullets.
    The difference is when the mag releases the bullet, milspec fast ,short bullets slow.
    So,look at what you shoot and match the feed lips to it.
    As an aside ,I do not like the plastic followers in the wilson mags.

Boolit Master

Tripp Research Cobra mags are what I use for duty use with my 1911!

Boolit Buddy

As I said above, I really like the Wilsons and at 4 for less than $100, you simply can't beat 'em. That said, I have several of the Ruger branded (don't know who makes them for Ruger) 8-rounders that function flawlessly as well. Actually like the metal followers better; seems less prone to wear.

Boolit Master

I vote Tripp. Good mags and good people. Wilson is a close second. Can't really go wrong with either.

I too have Chip McCormick mags, 10 of them I bought almost 20 years ago for $10.00 each. Never had any problems with them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ruger mags are made by Checkmate. So are Colt.

Boolit Master

Wilson 47s. 7 rounders are great and 8s are good with frequent spring changes. For 9mm, the metal form 'Springfield' style 9 rounders have proven reliable in a number of finicky eaters.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    Wilson 47s. 7 rounders are great and 8s are good with frequent spring changes. For 9mm, the metal form 'Springfield' style 9 rounders have proven reliable in a number of finicky eaters.
    A few years ago I replaced all my 47D's and 47OX's with Wilson's flat wire ETM rebuild kits. My 47D's are now 7 rounders and 47OX's are 6 rounders, and I haven't had to replace them since.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have had good luck with Wilson in all my 45's

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You just cost me $80 for 3x of the ETM magazines...

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk