Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tried hitek today

Tried hitek today

I've been struggling finding my way with the powder coating process. I could obtain good results but the process was too fussy for me and I felt I didn't have enough control. I've been designing an overly complicated powder coating machine that honestly I'd like to see work someday but I thought I better give the hitek process a try just for kicks. WOW

WOW. ITS SO EASY. I haven't loaded any or shot them yet but so far, there's nothing not to love about the process. Soooo much faster, easier, cleaner, less wasteful and just plain more pleasant. I have no idea how many bullets I coated this evening but it was in the multiple thousands for sure. And all with a rediculously small amount of powder, in fact, exactly 20 grams of it.kinda wish I had bought the smaller jar now! This will be a lifetime supply seriously. Just amazing.

So, I know they say 2-3 coats minimum but I was seeing beautiful results from one coat and they seemed to smash up right and everything. Does anyone get by with one coat on these? Even doing it twice is so much easier than anything I can imagine. For me the debate is over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3887.jpg  

Damn sorry I'm just giddy about this stuff. My least favorite part of the process has shifted to brass trimming now as it should be!

It seems to take a slightly different color on different bullets for some reason.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3892.jpg  
    Last edited by Drew P; 04-07-2017 at 02:43 AM.

Pretty good stuff, huh?
    There can be minor variations in appearance, usually due to the application process, amount of powder/acetone in the mix and how long it's swirled but if the process is followed correctly they should be fine. Ausglock (in the main thread) has used one coat with success (pistol boolits). I use two coats but next time I coat some I'm going to try one coat out of curiosity.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    If you think you can get by with just one coat then you're applying way to much!
    If it looks like theres to little then it's right. To much will give a lumpy look and feel.

Boolit Master
    I have been testing some 200 gr .45 bullets with one coat of Gun Metal just to see if it will work, the bullets don't look very nice but so far my guns have not refused to shoot them.
    I mostly do 2 coats on all my bullets but so far the ones with one coat are not leading. I am sure this would vary with different guns and of course bullet fit makes a difference.

Yeah this metal coating is incredible. When the first coat goes on, it clearly shows lead under it. It looks like the right ampunt but after baking it seems to flow out and cover completely. I guess I'll give it a try because it would be even sweeter to coat once and party on.

I was also thinking low pressure jobs like 45 would possibly demand less coats but maybe not. Of course the glock barrel is so smooth inside that maybe it could get by with less also.

I have been HT for about 2yrs now. I never do more than 2 coats, as per original instruction. Powder or liquid, use enough acetone so it flows thin. I PC too, but find the HT just easier to do, even though you bake twice.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I go a bit thinner and use 2 coats, but yeah I love the stuff. Not that I mind PC'ing or lubing regular bullets, its just awesome to dump the whole tray and have them come out smooth not bumpy and ridged.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I go a bit thinner and use 2 coats, but yeah I love the stuff. Not that I mind PC'ing or lubing regular bullets, its just awesome to dump the whole tray and have them come out smooth not bumpy and ridged.
    So where is a situation where you'd choose PC or lube over the hitek?

I have watched some videos on the Hitek process and it doesnt look too bad. I hope to get into casting my own soon and I think I will go this route on coating them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    So where is a situation where you'd choose PC or lube over the hitek?
    Currently....9mm hitek rounds still leave deposits/residue in the barrel so I powder coat my rounds. If I'm feeling lazy and in a hurry I'll use BLL tumble lube. Otherwise I hitek everything else in bulk (380, 40, 38 spec, and 45). If I were to load up some full powder 357 or 44 rounds I would powder coat those as well.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    230gn RN 45 bullets for the Para 45 ACP have been tested with 1 coat of Gold 1035 at 6mls per 2.5Kg of alloy.
    Load is 4.5gn AP-50 ( Hodgdon Int. Clays). This is a stout load and the 1 coat works fine.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

glad this is working for everyone.

I've stayed with PC as I can get coverage in one coat which saves me another trip through the powder and oven.
    I have a tendency to do a bit of color mixing as this is more appealing to me. Funny to see bullets change color during the application process from first one to last; the powder gets used up at different rates.

again not saying PC is the best way, just the way I find most convenient for me.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Well, I hope my exuberance isn't premature. I tried a few mags today in the glock of 9mm and got a lot of barrel fouling. So, that's not good. Saw beginnings after one mag and second mag made it worse. Stopped after that.

Not sure where to go now, maybe they were too soft? Too fresh from the oven? I've sized them and loaded them appropriately. Only thing I can think to try is different or more charge powder. This was red dot 3.4g
    Last edited by Drew P; 04-09-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Should I apply another coat?

Boolit Buddy
    Try dropping them straight from the oven into icy cold water on the last coat. Helped me with 9mm as it needs a hard alloy to not deform in the case and is a fairly high pressure round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitika View Post
    Try dropping them straight from the oven into icy cold water on the last coat. Helped me with 9mm as it needs a hard alloy to not deform in the case and is a fairly high pressure round.
    Yes I may try that. Thanks. Maybe Ill apply a third coat and then ice drop them.

Looking at my barrel and I gave it a smell and it smells like burnt electrical or plastic. They seemed to produce a lot of smoke too. Is it possible that the coating is being scraped off as it enters the barrel somehow?
    Last edited by Drew P; 04-09-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Some shots of the carnage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3927.jpg   IMG_3926.jpg  

Boolit Master
    There should be no smell to the coating if it is cured. You need to verify the temp on your oven. How much coating,how many bullets? Drying time? I know that is several questions at one time but the more we know the more we can help you.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    There should be no smell to the coating if it is cured. You need to verify the temp on your oven. How much coating,how many bullets? Drying time? I know that is several questions at one time but the more we know the more we can help you.
    I did verify oven temp. Smash test and acetone solvent test passed with 10 min cook time. Made mistake of trying two racks of bullets at once which led to some deformation of bullets from over temp so I know it's getting hot enough. But, maybe too hot? I was pushing the dry time probably, but they seemed dry and didn't bubble or get weird in the cook. Could this contribute the problem?