RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring an old Pacific

Boolit Buddy

Restoring an old Pacific

First post!

I'm not new to reloading, been doing it since I was 16 (1983). What led me here is my love for old reloading equipment and it seems every google search lands here!

I have an old Pacific C that I'm restoring to its original glory, its built in 1954, has the "upstroke" ram only. It came with the primer feeder and primer tool and no handle.

My first question is, what color should it be? Its been painted red but someone used a paint brush. I have seen these old presses in black, dark bluish/green and powder blue.

My second question, where can I buy a handle?

I plan on making a handle for reloading, something with a 90* bend in it for ergonomics. But I would really like to have an original handle for display.

Here is a pic of what I have;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170204_070722887.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	187518

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Banned
    Restore it and put it in your collection. While not as strong as the newer presses it will be fine for pistol brass but I wouldn't recommend it for rifle brass.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-08-2017 at 07:42 AM.

Banned

I have one just like that I picked up at a gun show last year for 15$. Certainly useable now, I doubt I'll "restore" it. I know I have one of the replacement rams that uses modern shell holders around here somewhere, once that's replaced, I don't see where it won't do most chores as well as any other, but the C design isn't as strong as an O design like a Rock Chucker or similar.

I like old reloading tools.

Boolit Master
    I picked one up at an estate auction a couple of years ago. At that time, the handle was bare metal. Now it's painted w/rusty metal primer. The ram has been changed out (CH4D) to accept standard shellholders. Wish I could have been able to rotate the picture.
    Attachment 187521
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Banned

What is the chain for? Is that to hold the press handle in the upright position when not using it?

Boolit Master
    Color of mine is blue...kinda baby blue really. my Younger brother has it right now, or I would get a picture..
    Google is my friend [sometimes]

This pretty much what mine currently looks like...a bit faded baby blue!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    Color of mine is blue...kinda baby blue really. my Younger brother has it right now, or I would get a picture..
    Google is my friend [sometimes]

This pretty much what mine currently looks like...a bit faded baby blue!!
    Mine is a little darker than that now, closer to the one pictured in a previous post. Finding a handle is a challenge.....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Czech_too View Post
    I picked one up at an estate auction a couple of years ago. At that time, the handle was bare metal. Now it's painted w/rusty metal primer. The ram has been changed out (CH4D) to accept standard shellholders. Wish I could have been able to rotate the picture.
    Attachment 187521
    I painted mine about this color. I have the RCBS universal shell holder ram on the way. I hope it works......

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe the blue color is correct for that time; not 100%, but that is what I would paint it. I always thought mine looked pretty close to the lighter shade of Ford blue.

The handle should be threaded 1/2-20, my press is buried now or I could give you the length.

After loading a few thousand rounds on my Super C, I really came to appreciate the open front of the C design.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What is the chain for? Is that to hold the press handle in the upright position when not using it?
    The replacement ram uses a clip of sorts to hold the shellholder in place and the chain is so I don't lose the clip.
    I 'misplaced' a #8 top punch recently & don't need to add the clip to the list.

The handle is 5/8" dia. and just over 12", say 12 1/8th with the shank being 1 1/4", 5/16 of that is threaded

I found that if one was using Lyman shellholders, and if the die(s) were not screwed in far enough so that the bottom of the die was clear of the bottom of the press body, that the shellholder would hit the press body. Hence the 'note to self' on the press mount.

Lyman shellholders are larger in dia. than RCBS or Lee
    Last edited by Czech_too; 02-08-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarity?
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Banned

my Pacific powder dump is a tick darker shade than the press pictured in post-6.
    it's like that one is petty blue and mine is ford blue.

Perma-Banned A.K.A Castmast
    If anyone needs other case specific rams I have several here, and no press for them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rundownbear View Post
    If anyone needs other case specific rams I have several here, and no press for them.
    How much?

Banned
    SARuger, Blue, black and OD green are correct colors for the post war (1947-1959) Super presses. Scratch some of the red off to see what was underneath. The original paints were wrinkle paint, very hard to duplicate today.
    Other than taking a handle off a doner press you will have to make one. It's not hard to do with a lathe. 13 inches long, 1/2" threaded shank, 9/16" in diameter. The end should be finished half round.

For what it may be worth I got one like it in the mail yesterday. Only it has a new to me conversion for down stroke operation. Interesting for sure. And it is blue.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    SARuger, Blue, black and OD green are correct colors for the post war (1947-1959) Super presses. Scratch some of the red off to see what was underneath. The original paints were wrinkle paint, very hard to duplicate today.
    Other than taking a handle off a doner press you will have to make one. It's not hard to do with a lathe. 13 inches long, 1/2" threaded shank, 9/16" in diameter. The end should be finished half round.

For what it may be worth I got one like it in the mail yesterday. Only it has a new to me conversion for down stroke operation. Interesting for sure. And it is blue.

Ken
    Thanks Pressman! I was hoping you would reply. I knew you would know for sure. Thank you for the advice on the handle, sounds easy enough to make!

Boolit Master
    The one I used in the past was the light blue like the one in the pictures. I used it it to reload 30- 06 and I would have no problems loading any standard calibers on it. I still have my blue Pacific scale. My only complaint from back in the day was having to change out rams for different shell holders. I got rid of mine in '71 for a Rock Chucker which I still have. I always considered Pacific equipment to be first rate .

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Older heavy blue one in basement , Have a different one its a brown color its light strength but old buddy used it for years with out and trouble, even resizing brass.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    These are VERY strong presses for not being a compound leverage press!

A medium type Blue is what I have seen!

This press will load ANYTHING up to a 30-06....No problem!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

You might check at CH4D for parts. I know they have replacement rams that will take the modern shell holders. I may have seen handles there too.
    I have a couple of the older C presses, I do my reloading on a Lee turret but a small CH press is mounted at one end for trimming (Lee quick trim dies) and bullet sizing dies. I find it very useful to be able to size on the turret in single stage mode, then move the loading block of brass to the next press and trim the brass.

I had to purchase a couple of wave washers from Titan Reloading to help keep the handle from dropping down and becoming a nad knocker. Man that handle was at a bad height when it was sticking straight out. I have a piece of 1/8' para cord that goes across the handle when not in use, loop on each end goes over mounting bolts. I really hate walking into that handle if I manage to shake it down, thus the safety line. I'm guessing the chain might be doing the same for that press pictured above.

You can buy wrinkle paint in rattle cans, gets used on custom car and motorcycle parts. Might take a bit of study and test pieces to get the process down but the videos and tutorials made it look like it wasn't too bad, just a bit less straight forward and fussy than regular spray paint.

I must like it, I keep thinking I'm going to buy a Lee classic O press to replace it but whenever I have the money I decide "nah, I'll get that later" and buy something other than a new press to replace the old C press.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I bought my old original Pacific C Super tool press in 1956. Painted gloss blue. Also have the older standard press, and that one is painted a dark flat brown. Another later super tool press is wrinkled blue, as well as a more recent deluxe press. The deluxe press frame is really heavy duty. I use these presses constantly and are so handy and convenient, would never part with them.