MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballistol (Everything about it)

Banned

i use a 1:10 ballistol & water solution for both muzzleloader and bpcr fouling control. when i'm done shooting at the range or field, that 1:10 solution of ballistol & water protects during the ride back to the ranch, where all that's needed is plain tepid tap water to finish up the cleaning, then a final patched jag with pure ballistol to preserve. the fact that ballistol is non-toxic and is compatible for use with so many other materials and components is its exceptional value.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i use a 1:10 ballistol & water solution for both muzzleloader and bpcr fouling control. when i'm done shooting at the range or field, that 1:10 solution of ballistol & water protects during the ride back to the ranch, where all that's needed is plain tepid tap water to finish up the cleaning, then a final patched jag with pure ballistol to preserve. the fact that ballistol is non-toxic and is compatible for use with so many other materials and components is its exceptional value.
    GOOD STUFF rfd! This 1:10 ratio is what you use to swab between shots? I like the idea of the oil being there, when shooting with my dad we usually shoot morning time, lots of them times i will stick around and visit til evening and not get home and clean til late evening. Having that little bit of oil in there would be a good thing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    ... This 1:10 ratio is what you use to swab between shots? ...
    yessir.

Banned
    that would be 10:1

10 parts water to 1 part ballistol.

At least thats how dutch writes the math in his booklet

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    that would be 10:1

10 parts water to 1 part ballistol.

At least thats how dutch writes the math in his booklet
    you've GOT to be kidding?

Boolit Master

The water should be the main component.

Perma-Banned
    i use a 1:10 ballistol & water
    I read this as 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water, What would be difference in 10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol? LOL

For my black powder rifles I just pour some Ballistol in a plastic container and add water and then place a stack of .50 cal patches in it followed by a plastic lid. I then haul it out to the range. I guess I should measure, but I'm too lazy. I squeeze out the wet patch, swab the bore a few times and follow it up with dry patches. When I get back to my Villa, I use gun oil like Breakfree to protect for storage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    I read this as 1 part Ballistol to 10 parts water, What would be difference in 10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol? LOL
    Correct way however is 10:1

You dont see gm or ford saying their engine has 1:10 compression do ya? lol

I have used the stuff for years, it works great. I find, though, if I let it sit in an oiler bottle for very long it solidifies and makes little clumps of waxy looking stuff. Anyone know what causes this, and how to prevent it?
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Its a great product, I use it 6:1 for patch lube, best I've found so far!

Boolit Master
    I get the waxy precipitate too, after long storage of a small sample in a clear plastic bottle. The Ballistol also darkens with age. All I can think of is some kind of oxidation process over several seasons of summer heat. I just shake the stuff up and use it. Doesn't seem to degrade the properties any.

Thanks.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I get the waxy precipitate too, after long storage of a small sample in a clear plastic bottle. The Ballistol also darkens with age. All I can think of is some kind of oxidation process over several seasons of summer heat. I just shake the stuff up and use it. Doesn't seem to degrade the properties any.
    exact same for me, too.

any problem using the product 'straight' for cleaning bp rifles and other guns,so does it just seem to work better partly diluted ?

I learned a lot from reading this,btw.

Boolit Buddy
    I have really been happy using it to remove the powder fouling right after I shoot a 60 shot F-Class course with my 6mmBR. The black junk that comes out is amazing.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

I use it diluted to make moose milk for BP cleaning. I do find it develops a sludgy residue on the squeeze bottle after a while. I suspect some of the alcohols evaporate and change its solubility of the other ingredients.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Throckmorton View Post
    any problem using the product 'straight' for cleaning bp rifles and other guns,so does it just seem to work better partly diluted ?

I learned a lot from reading this,btw.
    I use it straight to preserve metal after cleaning.

Banned

cut with water for patch/jag cleaning because plain tepid water is an important part of dissolving bp residue, then straight afterwards to preserve.

Perma-Banned
    cut with water for patch/jag cleaning because plain tepid water is an important part of dissolving bp residue, then straight afterwards to preserve.
    rfd, i learned something today so its not a waste after all! LOL, When you say 'Tepid' i scratch my head thinking you mean tap water? Curiosity killed the Cat, so i did some investigating into 'Tepid' water. I now know what 'Tepid' water is!!

Tepid water consists of two parts cold water and one part boiling water, which renders a temperature of about 40 degrees Celsius, which is round about 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Luke warm water is also considered in the same temperature range, which concludes that both are the same.