RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: School me on the LNL AP press.

Boolit Grand Master

It's a good press, don't get me wrong. I think it just rubbed me the wrong way when the base plate quit kicking the brass out and locked up the press with stuck cartridges. When I called Hornady they said that 10-15k is, I can't remember the exact wording, but all they expect out of it and it was worn and a wear part and I had to buy the replacement. Plus she commented on how many times I've called in for small parts and said I must be rough on my equipment.

Scraping at the Ejector nub...

This is where mine was catching on the ejection...you can see the shiny spot there below the nub and in the slot where the edge is still sharp, there's bits of brass clinging to the edge. In the slot where powder and debris gets pushed off there's a couple of brass curls where the edge caught the brass rim.
    I used 1200 grit paper and a fine flat bastard file to ease those corners.

Attachment 185286

I think the case starts to lean forward as it is being ejected and the rim leans into the slot on the lesser radius towards the front of the case and that sharp little slot edge tries to cut the brass...it peels off tiny little curls on the ones that really stick.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Thanks OSOK! That's the 1st picture of the troublesome ejector I've seen. I've read about it and watched videos on cleaning it up with Emory cloth but no pictures. I know Hornady went from ejector wire to this style of ejector but I don't know when.

I have bought an assortment of crocus and polishing cloths of different grits. I have being tons of homework on this press and it's not here till next week. I have powered graphite and small files here with me.

I will I'll pick up more canned air today.

Thank you for the picture! It will help me tremendously.

R1kk1

You see the narrow shelf there in front of the nub...that's the edge that catches the brass rim, especially on smaller diameter like the 9mm...you need to polish the face of the nub and break the edge of the slot.
    Be careful not to change the 90* profile of the face of the nub as it is what initiates the exit direction to the case as the shell-plate indexes past it. This picture is taken in-between index points. When the shell plate is at the bottom most travel the shell plate covers the nib.

Attachment 185328

Boolit Master
    OSOK what serial number is your LNL? I haven't had any of the issues you had. I'm not saying I won't but wow mine must have been made on a Wednesday and special care taken.

No. 40835...just one of those days, any day of the week that a little detail got overlooked...some kid complaining about his new Mother in law instead of paying attention to his work, heck coulda been an old timer too...paying too much attention to what time it was or when the next break was due, maybe just picking his nose...who knows?
    These are little things that a good machine operator can figure out on his own and fix. The problem here is that there aren't too many of these reloaders that understand the tickings of their progressive. Some men just do some things better than others in different aspects...

r1kk1, what a gentlemanly post! Reaffirms my membership on this forum.

Boolit Master
    OS OK I see what your talking about the 90 degree angle portion of the nib. I have some small or what they call jeweler's files. I think I have everything to smooth, break burrs and lightly polish the various parts of the press. I will operate it as a single stage/turret press until I have confidence in the press.

I appreciate the picture as they really help when looking for problems and how to fix it. I hate tinkering on presses and I hope I don't have too. My wife gave me a tiny GoPro camera and will use it as an extra set of eyes when operating it until I know that press inside and out.

I would rather overkill with preparation than to be stymied by something someone else has the fix or it's in the directions to begin with.

We have a saying in my profession. See one. Do one. Teach one.

if anyone has problems they fixed on theirs please post them.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    r1kk1, what a gentlemanly post! Reaffirms my membership on this forum.
    Thank you. I've only posted a few questions but everyone of those questions get answered! From answers I can see a pattern on what is the problem and can it be solved by the factory or by third party or by a bandaid solution. In this instance, I'm trying to solve a problem which is ME. I hate and loath mundane tasks. I hope I found a solution by doing my homework first then posting it to this board for criticism and/or for validation. In my quest of this thread, I found the combined experiences and knowledge of fellow posters to have great value to me. For instance I have presses at home that are quite capable of doing what I want. I just need a smaller footprint for my circumstances that solve this problem and my need to pull a handle as few times as possible. I hate to choose whether I go shooting today or reload. Our jobs require call in addition to work and lately I've had some 12-20 hour days that leave you exhausted. On a normal 10 hour day I will do some reloading.

I appreciate your comment but it should go out to these guys. I have much respect for each one.

Take care

r1kk1

r1kk1...If you can get used to running the press handle smoothly and entirely without jerking or race-horsing, that in itself will go miles towards a troublefree press with high output of loads that pass the cartridge checker test every time. All the time you are producing you are scanning with your eyes to see that the powder throw is functioning correctly or maybe watching a problem area, you cannot be complacent with a progressive or you will end up with a tub-full of cartridges to disassemble! That'll give you something to gripe about quick!

Some here complain about the press having that action where at the top of the stroke the shell plate will move slightly counter or clockwise by 1* or so. I find it helpful due to the reason if a case hangs up (runs into the bottom of a die improperly aligned) I can gently move the press handle gently, laterally from one side to to other as I am gently pushing and urging that round to enter the dies...in most cases they go right in, but...in some instances I have to gently push in on the top of the case that's entering the size die, (I run some old size dies that were manufactured before the big tapered entrances (flairs) at their bottoms for the progressive presses) as if it were leaning towards the outside for some reason...perhaps the beat-up rims my .45ACP cases may have. I have reloaded these PMC cases for three years now and quit keeping track the exact number but it was above 20 times. I expect the brass to be less than primo condition but I use my brass until it gives up the ghost...splits at the case mouth.

Keep us posted on the results of your tuning the LnL.

charlie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    r1kk1...If you can get used to running the press handle smoothly and entirely without jerking. All the time you are producing you are scanning with your eyes to see that the powder throw is functioning correctly or maybe watching a problem area, you cannot be complacent with a progressive or you will end up with a tub-full of cartridges to disassemble! That'll give you something to gripe about quick!

Some here complain about the press having that action where at the top of the stroke the shell plate will move slightly counter or clockwise by 1* or so. I find it helpful due to the reason if a case hangs up (runs into the bottom of a die improperly aligned) I can gently move the press handle gently, laterally from one side to to other as I am gently pushing and urging that round to enter the dies...in most cases they go right in, but...in some instances I have to gently push in on the top of the case that's entering the size die

Keep us posted on the results of your tuning the LnL.

charlie
    I hate pulling cartridges apart. I just pulled 50, 500 Linebaugh apart and 5 400 GNRs (30-30 blown straight to 40 caliber and traced the problem to the crimp on the 500 Linebaugh and the expander on the 400 GNR. It did not make me happy as I had a handgun hunt coming up in just two months. I switched the crimp on the 500 Linebaugh to a taper crimp and I have loaded a few with the separate roll crimp and sent that die back. Strangely enough the bullet seater has a built in roll crimp and it worked fine. Another cool thing is the taper crimp die worked very well indeed! I ordered a M die from CH4D and it works fine for the 400 GNR and sent the problem expander back to have it turned down. Even though these are straight wall cartridges, I have to watch carefully as they enter the die stations on the 550 (mainly the sizing die) or I can fold or ding a case mouth.

I didn't even think of the 1 degree action. I will look for it! I load mainly bottleneck wildcats and I will keep an eye on that! It may actually help me in my loading. I don't know as I'm just speculating at this point.

thanks Charlie!

r1kk1

Your welcome r1kk1...when I push down on the press lever to go all the way I am pushing with the ball of my hand. This way I am imparting the least sideways force to make the shell plate rotate. I sit so that my right arm is acting like a lever connected to a lever, not trying to push down from an awkward position and this works fine. I don't grasp the knob until I'm on the return (up) stroke.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    It's a good press, don't get me wrong. I think it just rubbed me the wrong way when the base plate quit kicking the brass out and locked up the press with stuck cartridges. When I called Hornady they said that 10-15k is, I can't remember the exact wording, but all they expect out of it and it was worn and a wear part and I had to buy the replacement. Plus she commented on how many times I've called in for small parts and said I must be rough on my equipment.
    same here. the last call (of many) i made to hornady CS about my LNL the kid asked me what caliber i was loading and when i said .45acp he said sorry i don't load 45acp so i can't help you, and hung up. it was unbolted and chucked on the driveway in less than 30 minutes.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    same here. the last call (of many) i made to hornady CS about my LNL the kid asked me what caliber i was loading and when i said .45acp he said sorry i don't load 45acp so i can't help you, and hung up. it was unbolted and chucked on the driveway in less than 30 minutes.
    If you learn how to tie one of these bowline knots you can re-purpose that useless hunk-O-steel and have a pretty good boat anchor...unless of course you got mad at your boat and sunk it...

Attachment 185442

Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    I would have bought it off of you.

Boolit Master

Anyone that has a Hornady LnL AP they don't like....I accept donations. I'll even pay shipping.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGrunt View Post
    Anyone that has a Hornady LnL AP they don't like....I accept donations. I'll even pay shipping.
    Same here. I'm open to reasonable offers on buying one.

Boolit Master
    It's getting to be an internet legend.

Yeah, out of the countless threads where the machine is "completely useless, worthless pile of junk", I have only gotten one for free when I PM'ed the fellow. He wanted nothing for it except for me to cover shipping, I searched his old threads to see what he used and sent him a gift package along with funds to cover the shipping.

Most others want more than used ones that are still working go for. Last fellow that was ready to "trash" his Loadmaster actually wanted more than a new one retails for...

I don't believe for a minute that this guy threw the LnL out on the driveway...I do believe that his problem is a 'loose screw'..the kind of screw that a screw driver can't tighten!