Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do henry big boy rifles handle the higher pressures of the 45 Long Colt?

Vendor Sponsor

Might get some leading with the swaged boolits. As far as alloy, the velocity you want to shoot is very conducive to the same as what works in a Ruger, I would suggest a mix of 50/50+2% which would be 50% coww, 50% pure lead, and 2% tin. With soft lube like Felix, randyrat's Tac1, or even SPG you would have my favorite alloy of all for 45 Colt, and I never need to clean the bore.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I will be going with 18 lbs of wheel weight alloy + 8 feer of lead free solder. Air cooled.

i wont be venturing past 1000 fps with these swedged bullets for sure.

Boolit Buddy

Buffalo Bore says Ruger level loads are safe:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=335

If you scroll down on the page, you will see a list of acceptable firearms.
    The Henry Big Boy is on that list.
    Hope this helps.

CPL Lou
    CPL Lou

I recently got the 45 in Big Boy Steel, using the Accurate 255 mold and 7.6 gns. Unique. Things are looking pretty good so far in week 1 of testing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-45-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	182992

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much gentelman!

Boolit Master
    Alliant Powder lists 15.4/2400/250LSWC as max in .45 Colt. From a 5.5" barrel, the load clocks 972 f/s. I suspect that, given the much longer barrel and the slower burning nature of Alliant 2400, you could see a very usable increase in velocities without having to push the higher limits of the Henry's tolerance for pressure. Of course, I have no idea about the availability of Alliant 2400, where you are.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    After reading Winelover's post, I went and ran a rod down the barrel of my Henry BBS in 45LC. It is 1:16"

When I brought my Henry .45 Colt home the first things I did after cleaning was to slug the bore and check ROT, came out .4515 and 1:16. I thought I had a fortunate mistake.

It shoots an Accurate 280gr fpgc with 23gr H110 very well.

Boolit Master
    I was out shooting this morning, trying the ruger/tc loads in my Henry big boy.

Starting at the lowest charge for H110, and lil Gun, I got some very interesting results!

The 250 grain Hornady XTP hollow point was chronygraphed at 1580fps at starting grains for H110, and 1599 with lilgun!

By the time max charges were shot (no extraction issues present or over pressure signs on the brass), the velocities were up to 1675 and 1695 fps average! Yikes!

1-1/4" groups at 75 yards with lilgun and 2" with H110! Very happy with that! I didnt expect that much of an improvement with the 20" barrel! But am impressed with the 45Lc Henry big boy!
    Last edited by Dthunter; 12-24-2016 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Those are some impressive numbers for your new rifle. Very nice.

Boolit Master
    In the ads and articles that I have read regarding the brass BB Henrys.They are "Hardened Brass".Hope this helps.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure what henry's "brass" material is but I do know a magnet will stick right to it. It sure does look like brass though. If I remember right they call it "brass light". If anyone knows exactly what the alloy is I think most here would like to know.

Ebner

Banned

It is a brass alloy with the strength of many steel alloys. I do not know the exact composition

Boolit Buddy

Using Buffalo Bore 260 HP +P load out of my Marlin 1894 CB 24" barrel I'm getting 1940fps, average for 10 shots.
    I get 1515fps out of my 7.5" Bisley Blackhawk with the same load.
    I suspect the 260HP is actually Hornady's 250 XTP.

CPL Lou
    CPL Lou

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    It is a brass alloy with the strength of many steel alloys. I do not know the exact composition
    These Henry's are a lot stronger than folks think and are quite capable and accurate rifles.
    I don't recommend running any firearm to its absolute limits as an everyday practice, but for the amount of rounds
    used for hunting, there shouldn't be any problems.