Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: New P38

New P38

I will start this by saying, I am not a collector, just a shooter! I do not have any military firearms of any sort, but the deal on this was too good to pass up. I ended up with a P38 ac44 war bring back. All #s match, it appears all original, I haven't disassembled it yet, with a 42 P08 holster, in excellent shape and 2 correctly stamped magazines. Gonna try to shoot it this weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P38small.jpg   holsteropensmall.jpg   p38small.jpg   magsmall.jpg  

Banned
    Congratulations on your new pistol.

The P-38 is a milestone in history. It was the first full sized double action military pistol. We continue to see its influence in DA/SA pistols.

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest slugging it. I was surprised when I did mine, it turns out it needs a .359" boolit. Yep, looser than all my .38's, much less my other 9mms. It does shoot pretty well once you use the right size boolit.

Congratulations on acquiring a very nice pistol. You will like it!

Boolit Buddy
    And a very ergonomic and natural pointer too. Something about the P-38's just fits the hand almost perfectly. Good score.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

I missed a Walther for $200 a few years ago that shot better than the unissued Manhurin I had 25yrs ago. They are neat guns but crunchy triggers and so-so accuracy. The Beretta 92 is the zenith of the P38 design IMO.

I'm sure happy with my P-38.....

I'd rather have the airplane.......

Excellent choice - I love mine. Only surprise that was found that a lot of the P-38 barrels are lined and not one piece.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    You should send it to Reuben Klamer to have it converted to an U.N.C.L.E. Special.

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests shootin' yer "P38 ac44 war bring back" with a modest nr. of mild reloads.
    You hava wonderful collector's item!

If you do NOT reload ammo, shoot common US factory ball ammo in the winter to keep pressures down.
    Have Fun!

First handgun I had was a WW2 P-38. I bought it the day I was drafted, later sold it. A couple of years back, I got a new police surplus P38 from Europe. Virtually new, I slobber whenever I fondle it. Super nice feel to it.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master

Congrats on your P38 pistol.

The Beretta 92 (US M9) is a direct descendant of the P38 with virtually the same oscillating recoil operated lock up.

My first 9mm was a P38. I had a great time with it using both cast and jacketed bullets. Wish I still had it. I learned all about loading the 9X19 Parabellum round and its vagaries with it.

Oh, and Pietro, I've still got a P38 or two laying around the War Room somewhere. When MREs replaced C Rats in the 80s, they kind of went away.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 11-30-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    Enjoy!!!
    My 1st center fire handgun was the P38 Dad brought back from the European Theatre in WWll. I've never had it fail to fire and it's reasonably accurate. I still have it, along with the permission slip.

Boolit Grand Master

Great score !

I was surprised to learn my WWII P38 likes a load with the Lee 105 grain SWC boolit , sized to .357 , over 4.7 grains of Unique. This load shoots to point of aim of the fixed sights , mild recoil , 100 % functioning and take the center out of a target. 2 inch 10 shot groups !
    My Dad passed it on to me, although a Navy vet. from WWII , he mailed ordered it from Kleins in 1960, I wanted him to get the 1908 "German Luger " , but he insisted the P38 was a better pistol .
    I remember waiting every day, at the end of our driveway for the postman to deliver it . Good old days for sure .
    Have fun at the range,
    Gary