Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of David and Goliath .

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Of David and Goliath .

What was David's every day job at home ?

Figured I'd go on and post the book of Samuel to make it easy .

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...+1&version=KJV

Incidentally , www.biblegateway is a good site with the different bible translations .

Boolit Master
    lol i like that you are posting questions now =). Will take another read. Thanks for sharing.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

1 Samuel 17:15. David was a shepherd as his family job. 1 Samuel 17:28 seems to also speak to this.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Correct ! Thank you !

Moderator Emeritus

It was as a shepherd that he learned to use his sling to ward off lions from his flocks. That and the simple Will of God allowed him to kill Goliath with the sling. Imagine. A simple shepherd boy becomes one of the greatest kings the world has ever known! God indeed uses "simple people" to achieve his ends very often. Mostly, all He asks for is simple willingness and faith in us. But we all too often want to trust OUR assessments, forgetting that God can and sometimes does make all the difference in the world, and He has His reasons, and we all too often use ours instead. Simple faith - that of even a mustardseed - is still the most powerful thing on earth, if we'll just let it be.

Thanks, Boaz. I love this stuff. Not that great at it, but ... still enjoy it. Just got in from having my truck quit on the interstate! Had AAA tow it to my mechanic. Strange. Just quit. No lights, no beeps, no nothing. Just quit. I suspect it's either the coil or the fuel pump? Who knows? Been a really long day and I love having the chapel to come to in times like these. Tired or not, it's still a great place to be!

Why did David go to the place the army of Israel and the Philistines were going to do battle ?

Boolit Bub
    To take supplies ie. food to his brothers.

While he was there he heard this loud mouth Philistine make boast that pissed him off. Who does this uncircumcised fool think he is?

Nobody had the stones to go out to fight Goliath but a rudy faced boy.

I love the story of David. One day I will meet him and I will meet one of his relatives. My Lord and Savior.
    Last edited by Grits; 08-27-2016 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    To take supplies ie. food to his brothers.

While he was there he heard this loud mouth Philistine make boast that pissed him off. Who does this uncircumcised fool think he is?

Nobody had the stones to go out to fight Goliath but a rudy faced boy.

I love the story of David.
    You are correct ! He was sent by his father to check on his brothers and take them supplies.

How many brothers did he have there ?

Boolit Bub
    Three

Three
    Correct again ! Thank you .

Moderator Emeritus

He was a Shepard and was not even at the feast....they had to send for him....after he was crowned and he grew David did such great things .... yet he was a sinner in a big way....yet he had God's heart and shows that through confession and changing his way he regained God's love. It is a lesson for us that even though we sin we can be saved!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    He was a Shepard and was not even at the feast....they had to send for him....after he was crowned and he grew David did such great things .... yet he was a sinner in a big way....yet he had God's heart and shows that through confession and changing his way he regained God's love. It is a lesson for us that even though we sin we can be saved!
    All true Paul . Our Lord will always take us back . Parable of the prodigal son told by our Lord is a very good example . You really have to struggle to deny the grace of GOD .

Boolit Bub
    The greatest lesson we can learn from David is that when we sin if we will ask for forgiveness the Lord will forgive us. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences.

When David sinned by taking the census of the men of his army he was given the choice of 3 years famine, 3 months of running from your enemies, or 3 days of plauge. He took the last one. When the death angel was at the threshing room floor God saw Davids heart. Lord take me but spare the others. The Lord told the death angel to stand down early. David wanted to offer sacrifice but would not take the material to do so without paying for them.

Moderator Emeritus

I've long thought that David and Solomon were so loved by God because of their passion and their absolute faith. Those never varied. His only real weakness that I can see was his passion as well, when it provoked in him the carnal desire for Bathsheba. He put HIS will before the Lord's, and that required God to extract a price from David, and that price wound up being the life of his firstborn son. This has left with us for all time a great lesson about passion, and how it can be either our greatest strength or our downfall, depending on how we allow it to be used within us.

I once had a friend back in college who seemed to fall in love with every gal he dated. He'd been married and divorced 5 times by the age of 28! And nothing could deter him from it. He was an absolute slave to his passions, even when he knew they were leading him to his downfall. He'd just grin and say, "But it's fun!" We eventually parted ways rather smartly over another issue - drugs - but I've never seen a more pitiful example of a man, or one less happy than he was. And yet, he continued. I have no idea what's become of him, or what he's doing today, or even if he's still alive. With his passions being entirely controlled by his will, with no room at all for God's toward the last of our relationship, I'm not sure I even want to know what happened with him.

So passion alone ins't any substitute for salvation, but salvation without it sure is a pitiful sight as well. Just think what this country would be like if all us Christians suddenly got more passionate about our faith, and actually learned how to spread it! Salvation without passion probably isn't what Christ had in mind for us, though he was always a model for rationality and good considerations. How I wish we could learn from His example! I personally keep trying, and picking myself up, dusting myself off, and trying again. It aint' easy!

Where did David go to find stones for his sling ?

Why did he go to there to look ?

Did he pick up the first stones he saw ?

How many stones did he take ?

Boolit Bub
    David went to the stream to pick his ammo. As a sheppard he knew where to get his resupply from. The action of the stream polished the stones smooth. He chose five stones. One each for Goliath and his four brothers. He left with five and returned with five even if one was buried in the skull of Goliath.

David went to the stream to pick his ammo. As a sheppard he knew where to get his resupply from. The action of the stream polished the stones smooth. He chose five stones. One each for Goliath and his four brothers. He left with five and returned with five even if one was buried in the skull of Goliath.
    Grits your answer is good . The part abut the killing of Goliath's brothers has been debatable since forever . In the account of the confrontation of David and Goliath after David killed Goliath verse says all others ran away . After killing Goliath David proceeded to cut off his head and take the giants weapons as trophy's, no mention of killing the brothers although his killing of them *with his servants* IS recorded in Samuel . Personally I think the killing of the brothers happened later . Choosing the 5 stones was just random , it was a trick question , GOD did not specify it would only take one stone. There would be speculation that after 5 stones were thrown with no kill David himself would have died by Goliath's sword . BUT ! You reply is in reason and debatable . I choose not to debate , I'm good with mine and you good with yours . Many things we are made to ponder but need not cause argument . Thank you sir !