Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC- leave 'em lay or stand 'um up?

Boolit Master

I have the best results using plastic tweezers from an old first aid kit. The plastic seems to be the same as the Cool Whip tub. The PC sticks to them and leaves few marks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ptweez.jpeg 
Views:	265 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	173500
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master
    The answer as to dump or stand is simple as do you just want your handloads to go bang or do you want to predict the point of impact? If you answer is the latter, then accuracy is the priority meaning you need a flat base on the bullet something you are not going to get with the dump.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    The answer as to dump or stand is simple as do you just want your handloads to go bang or do you want to predict the point of impact? If you answer is the latter, then accuracy is the priority meaning you need a flat base on the bullet something you are not going to get with the dump.
    This is a load of BS...my dumped bullets are very accurate.

You guys kill me with this carp...you talk a bunch of stuff that you have no idea what you are talking about. Y'all need to put the time in to find out if what you are saying is true...rather than come on here and put this stuff as if it is fact.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post

You guys kill me with this carp...you talk a bunch of stuff that you have no idea what you are talking about. Y'all need to put the time in to find out if what you are saying is true...rather than come on here and put this stuff as if it is fact.
    I dunno, i switched to hitek for the dump method and it works awesome. PC I stand up just for the shiny finish and pretty bullets. To each their own. hell if I'm being lazy I just use alox and deal with the smoke.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    To each their own. hell if I'm being lazy I just use alox and deal with the smoke.
    And...the leading.

Boolit Master
    And...the leading.
    I must just be lucky, i've never had severe leading *yet* that couldn't be cured with a thorough cleaning.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I must just be lucky, i've never had severe leading *yet* that couldn't be cured with a thorough cleaning.
    I didn't say nor mean "severe"...I meant...ANY lead.

You guys are losing the bubble here “accuracy matters”. People reload because it is fun, or cost effective, or they are bored with nothing else to do with their money. Then there are those who realize that all is not well and reloading may be the only source of sustained fire power.

Pistol banging at 3 yards, 10 yards or even 30 yards, it does not matter a lot just cast’em, coat’em, load’em and shoot’em. Subsonic rifle pretty much the same deal, but if you are trying to replace Berger 230gr Match Hybrids, or Hornady 208gr ELD Match, or even Sierra 175gr Tipped MatchKing well “accuracy matters” a lot in performance and process.

Alox smoke smells, I prefer Napalm in the morning, burnt powder in the afternoon and somebody appropriately wearing nice perfume at night…

Boolit Master
    I use gloves dusted in the PC before picking them up. Works great and easier than hemostats to me.

Boolit Master

Argue with proven physics not me. The fact is the base of a bullet steers the bullet, even a degree off axis has an effect on the bullet's path. Why do you think these guys go to so much effort to seat their gas checks square?

Like any liquid when cured powder flows and settles to the lowest level, so a bullet laying on it's side will tend to have a heaver coating where it lays; therefore not a flat base perpendicular to the side of the bullet. If you have devised a dump method that can deliver a perfectly flat base and perpendicular base then you have figured out a way to make water run uphill and are doing better than me.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 08-04-2016 at 02:33 PM.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Some people want to hit the barn others want to hit the key hole in the door. Then there is the distance they are shooting 10 yards or 100. I been told I am asking to much out of my deer rifles to have 5 shots touching but that is what I require before it goes to the woods with me.
    KEEP that in mind people everyone is not after the same thing or have the same requirements out of their reloads. Disagree in a civil manner.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Like any liquid when cured powder flows and settles to the lowest level,
    Absolutely correct. If your boolit y or z CG locations are not zero then you get a nutater or tumbler or even worse a baffle striker, either way less than keyhole accurate. That's why I believe large rifle boolits come out better ESPC'd on their matching HP spikes, the bases and drive bands are very consistent and the ogive smooth. It was either popper or RP that mentioned that going without a GC would peen the base and upset accuracy at higher pressures. Trying to determine where that happens and then live with the reduced velocity. Don't like messing with GCs........ have 140 MOA on the scope so I can deal with velocity but can't give up accuracy.
    Last edited by Phantom30; 08-03-2016 at 12:24 AM. Reason: comment

Perma-Banned

Argue with proven physics not me. The fact is the base of a bullet steers the bullet, even a degree off axis has an effect on the bullet's path. Why do you thing these guys go to so much effort to seat their gas checks square?

Like any liquid when cured powder flows and settles to the lowest level, so a bullet laying on it's side will tend to have a heaver coating where it lays; therefore not a flat base perpendicular to the side of the bullet. If you have devised a dump method that can deliver a perfectly flat base and perpendicular base then you have figured out a way to make water run uphill and are doing better than me.
    I don't really care about your argument...physics and all.

I will tell you that my dumped bullets will shoot as well as YOU can shoot them. You can make all of these stupid claims that you want...it only proves that you have never coated any bullets and shot them. AND, I doubt seriously if you are shooter enough to prove this idiot point that you a trying to make. Dumped bullets will shoot to the limit of the ability of probably 95% of shooters or guns they are shot in. You are another poser acting like he knows what he is talking about.

You can sell this line to someone else, I know how well dumped bullets shoot.

The OP made no mention that he is shooting these bullets in bench competition...and short of that requirement, there are VERY FEW on this or any forum that can demonstrate a real world difference in accuracy between dumped and stood up powder coated bullets.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 08-03-2016 at 02:01 AM.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you guys both have valid points and probably ultimately agree, but are looking at it from a different angle.

If the boolit's weight is off center, that no doubt affects the accuracy of a boolit as it will wobble as it flies through the air. Now for pistol caliber boolits at short ranges, you will probably never see that wobble. Heck, if you have an air pocket in a cast boolit that was lubed, it may have the same issue. It is about quality control. Now in the world we live in, most of us will never be able to see the difference between a vertical boolit or horizontal one when it was baked. If you however was using a boolit for longer ranges, then there would no doubt be an effect. And the point/range at which it becomes pronounced and affects the accuracy may vary from caliber to caliber, might be 50 yards on one and 300 on another, but an off balance boolit isn't going to fly as straight as a balanced one.

In summary, does it affect the boolit? Yes. Is it significant enough to matter? Yes and no, depends on the use and the requirements of the user.

Rosewood

Boolit Bub
    Sorry Guys, I guess my simple question has turned into a complex argument! Lots of things to consider! While I'm working up my loads,, I would prefer all bullet strikes are in the same "small" group! --Jon

Boolit Buddy

I place a pan of to be coated bullets on top of my oven and it heats them up a little not sure if it is a great help during the summer but in the spring when it is chilly it sure seems to help. I set them on a table in the sun once and that warmed them up enough for me to think it was helping. I use the orange handled needle nose pliers from HF they have a spring action and they are 1.99 a pair. I did have to file the slag off of them so they wouldn't scratch the powder off but that only took a few seconds. I only lay bullets down if they fall over when I put them in the oven, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference but I like to stand them up.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jon.Moore View Post
    Sorry Guys, I guess my simple question has turned into a complex argument! Lots of things to consider! While I'm working up my loads,, I would prefer all bullet strikes are in the same "small" group! --Jon
    Then you will be fine doing them either way.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

I don't really care about your argument...physics and all.

I will tell you that my dumped bullets will shoot as well as YOU can shoot them. You can make all of these stupid claims that you want...it only proves that you have never coated any bullets and shot them. AND, I doubt seriously if you are shooter enough to prove this idiot point that you a trying to make. Dumped bullets will shoot to the limit of the ability of probably 95% of shooters or guns they are shot in. You are another poser acting like he knows what he is talking about.

You can sell this line to someone else, I know how well dumped bullets shoot.

The OP made no mention that he is shooting these bullets in bench competition...and short of that requirement, there are VERY FEW on this or any forum that can demonstrate a real world difference in accuracy between dumped and stood up powder coated bullets.
    So yours saying a unbalanced bullet or a bullet with a uneven base will shoot as well as one that is balanced or has a flat base? And physics have not real effect on anything? Sure dumped bullets will have there place the OP asked which way would be better and was told either way would work depending on his goals. As far as anyone shooting skills there is no way anyone else could say that s just not reasonable. As far as shooting your dumped bullets being shot as well as anyone can shoot them well your correct they will perform as dumped bullets unbalanced and uneven bases. Will this matter to alot of shooters not to some . Just as the people go to the ranges and shoot as fast as they can at a target and those who aim between shots its up to the shooter what they are trying to gain.
    Review terms of service before you proceed down this path.
    Last edited by RP; 08-03-2016 at 11:46 PM.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

I tried the dump method and did not like the look of the finish. I stand them upright. I use long tweezers and at first it was slow. But as with anything the more you do it the faster and better the out come. I use the shake and bake method and am perfectly happy with the look and accuracy of the rounds. I think if they look good they will shoot better, meaning if you take time on the appearance you will also take time and be more accurate on all aspects of loading and shooting as well. Well that's my 2 cents for what its worth, and your welcome to it. TG
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Master

Cool

I stand them up with 7" offset tweezers. It's great chopstick practice so I don't drop my food all over the place & embarrass myself when I'm out at my favorite Chinese or Japanese restaurant!