Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench top primer seater.. RCBS or Co Ax?

Lloyde Smale sent me an old tray from one of the primer tube auto loaders and I just hold my tubes under the hole in the tray and I do the vibrating. It only takes a minute or so and I don't require batteries either! ...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I don't own the RCBS unit the OP is contemplating but I do own the lead up model without a charging tube.

I do own the Bonanza model mentioned ........ Forester bought it out after I acquired mine .........

I would go with the RCBS model ......... the adjustment fiddling loses me on the Co-Ax model of priming tool.

For point of reference, I use the standard hand held RCBS with a priming tray and standard shell holders.

I go right through all my priming as a first run. Then I go back and reseat individual high primers on my RCBS bench tool. This way I have a non-vertical stack of primers and they are separated by the safety strip on the hand tool. It's an easier tool to wear out that's for sure so I resort to a heavier tool to seat the "high ones" with the Lachmiyer style RCBS unit (bench tool) I have.

My reasoning is that I am more likely to pop a primer on a re-seat ........ more pressure ...... but a chain reaction is impossible because my batch of primers are all inserted in individual cases by then. The hand tool is not exposed to the added pressure of a re-seat pass either. The bench tool does the heavy lifting.

Best regards

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-11-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    The Forster Co-ax priming tool does not need shellholders, which you don't need for the CO-ax press either, think outside the box.

Boolit Master

Whatever you get, don't make it the RCBS handheld unit. What a piece of garbage. The Lee unit is way easier to setup and use.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff423 View Post
    Had a Forster - sold it and bought an RCBS - happy.
    Me too. The Forster is very fussy.

May Liberty Increase!
    As mentioned above, the co-ax is slow to load. Also the sleeve that holds the primers can get pushed upwards inadvertently when pulling brass out of the jaws, resulting in primers turned, flipped, or dumped.

The RCBS is a better approach, in my opinion. I wish it weren't 2 strokes for each primer (drop in cup, then seat) but I haven't found something better yet.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Bub
    I've got the co-ax and use it for one thing, reloading Berdan brass for my Swiss rifles. With the split primer tubes I just slightly opened them and the primers went down and seated fine. A little expensive for one case but works great.

Boolit Master
    I use the RCBS bench mount.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by daboone View Post
    I have both bench primers. Both do a good job.

The Forster is more difficult to set up for caliber changes and for loading primers into the tube than the RCBS unit. I gave up on trying to load primers from the built into the base of the Forster and use an RCBS primer flipper. I cut a small section out of the side of the flipper to accommodate the Forster tubes. On the upside it doesn't require any shellholders...
    Word for word, my experience too.
    The Forster one doesn't need to be bolted down, but the RCBS does.
    It needs to be bolted down with the handle sticking quite a ways over the edge of the bench.
    I'm waiting to disembowel myself with it, but it is a very nice tool to use.

I have an RCBS hand unit too, that's also very nice, but don't ever try to change shellholders.
    So much more complicated than it needs to be.

Boolit Master

I've had an RCBS Automatic Re-Primer for decades. Used it a lot, like the auto feature, but most of my priming is still done w/old Lee Primer Puter. I have one for every caliber I load, 38/357, 45/30-06/35W/etc, 30 Carb, 7.5 Swiss, &cetera. Dump a deck of primers on the primer shaker, set an empty tupper between knees, tupper full of cases on left, primers in front of that, and have at it. Pretty dang fast, and relaxed inside watching TV...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Mold
    I have both, actually an old Bonanza and the Co-Ax version and a RCBS tube type bench tool. The RCBS is far and away the better of the two in my opinion. I also like the APS bench tool but have no need for it as I also have the Dillon primer tube filler.

Co-Ax. For those folks having trouble using and adjusting the Co-Ax probably are having trouble adjusting their pants belt. My only complaint about the Co-Ax tool is that it only holds 60 primers in the tube. On the other hand, it is faster to reload the feed tube on the Co-Ax than the Dillon or other tubes unless you have a tube loading devise.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I have several priming devices from Lee, Hornady and RCBS. The RCBS tool is far and away the better tool. Buy it and don't look back. FWIW, money is not an issue with me at this point in life. I go for ease and quality.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    I have both, go with the RCBS