RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench top primer seater.. RCBS or Co Ax?

Boolit Bub

Bench top primer seater.. RCBS or Co Ax?

Hey everyone, have been wanted a bench top priming setup to replace my Lee hand primer but not sure which way to go. Anyone have experience with both? I know the COax has them stacked on the side compared to rcbs has them stacked top to bottom. Are there any other noticeable differences? Right now the Coax is in sale for $64 and rcbs is about $20 more. I know rcbs quality and has great customer service but also have heard good things about coax presses.... I appreciate any feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSV5u3jfeU ... (quick coax review)

It looks to be much faster to use shell holders than to use the hex wrench to adjust for different calibers.
    Changing the primer punch also requires a hex wrench whereas the RCBS is a drop in, no tools needed.
    I'll stay with the RCBS for $20 bucks more.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I am in the same boat as the OP. Been thinking about it for a while and leaning towards the RCBS

I have both bench primers. Both do a good job.

The Forster is more difficult to set up for caliber changes and for loading primers into the tube than the RCBS unit. I gave up on trying to load primers from the built into the base of the Forster and use an RCBS primer flipper. I cut a small section out of the side of the flipper to accommodate the Forster tubes. On the upside it doesn't require any shellholders.

The RCBS Bench Primer occasionally requires the primer cup to be tightened into the rod that supports it. That could be cured with some locktight. It also is more prone to need that cup cleaned out as bits of dirt/shavings/? get caught in the cup and imprint the primer when seating. All in all I tend to use the RCBS unit more because it is just easier to setup and get to business.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    RCBS!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Had a Forster - sold it and bought an RCBS - happy.

Boolit Master

Rcbs !!!!!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Did I hear someone say RCBS? Yep, that's the one.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

I have the RCBS bench top tool and love it !

Boolit Buddy
    I have the RCBS bench tool and like it a lot. Put a drop of Loctite on the threaded end of the primer punches and tighten them with a piece of drill rod and the tool is trouble-free. Mine jams a lot with Lee shellholders for some reason but not with RCBS or other brands of shellholder.

Boolit Master

Been using an RCBS since the early '80s, have 2. Don't know why I have 2. It literally takes about 3-5 seconds to pull the primer seater, change the shell holder and put the correct primer seater back in. For small runs, like a box of rifle rounds, I don't even load a primer tube. Just put each primer in the cup with tweezers.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy

RCBS, have two. I little polishing on the moving parts, and a dab of lube they get slicker and have a much better feel. Would not want too be with out one.

I bought the RCBS about 6 months ago. I like it a lot. I only wish it had a fixed seating stop, but that is a minor complaint. I found the best price on Amazon.

Banned

Lee Bench Prime. Have two RCBS bench mount Auto Primes and two Lee Bench Primes. I like the Lee primarily because a tray is far easier to use as opposed to primer tubes

Boolit Master

I have no experience with the Co-Ax.
    I have used the RCBS for years.
    I love it....dale

Boolit Buddy
    Just moved to the RCBS Bench primer and LOVE it. I have worn out 2 of the older Lee hand primers, then moved to the RCBS Universal Hand primer and had parts ware out on it. Should have moved to the RCBS Bench a long time ago..
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master
    I have spent time researching Forster and RCBS. I load quite a few obsolete and wildcat cartridges. 45 AR seems to be a problem on the Forster priming tool. In another thread I posted the problem I had with auto prime shellholders and the 475 Linebaugh. So that cancelled Forster and the Lee bench prime out for me. 21st Century is slowly replacing auto prime shellholders for me to use with the K&M priming tool. Funny thing, everybody makes standard shellholders. RCBS makes a huge variety but CH4D carries every shellholder a fellow could want. They even make 50 BMG, 20mm and 25mm if wanted. So RCBS won out. It is bolted to a Pat Marlin RockDOCK and clamped to whatever bench or table I want. My wife loves priming on it. I may in the future do the Holland upgrade to the unit.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    RCBS APS which uses plastic strips instead of tubes, less chance of chain fires.

Also has a fixed stop if you want. The lever is position adjustable. Lefties can reverse the lever and rotate the head 180*.

Small quirk with the seating pin but the RCBS tube type has it's quirks too.

A little more expensive by the time you buy a strip loader but if you prime a lot with tubes you'd want a tube loader too.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Lee Bench Prime. Have two RCBS bench mount Auto Primes and two Lee Bench Primes. I like the Lee primarily because a tray is far easier to use as opposed to primer tubes
    The only possible down-side IMHO with the Lee is that it does not use standard shell holders. If the Lee Bench Prime was available a few years ago I would have bought it instead of the RCBS as I needed to change to another priming method as my arthritis and CPS acted up bad when using the Lee hand primer units. Yeah, filling primer tubes can be a pain but a tube filler solves that easily. I already had the filler as my Dillon SDB and Hornady LnL AP's use tubes.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

^^^ I have a couple three sets of Lee Primer shell holders. I should try a tube filler.