Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mixing powder mess

Mixing powder mess

I have been coating for a while with great success. However, I decided to mix some Harbor Freight flat black and Harbor Freight red in order to get a nice maroon. I coated some 230 grain 45 rounds for my 1911. I fired 100 through the gun, and ended up with a smoothbore! Lead literally filled the grooves in the 1911! This is something I have not experienced before. I don't know if mixing the powders created the issue, but I thougt I would relate the experience to both warn anyone and also see if this has happened to anyone else. It only happened with the mix of flat black and red from HF.
    Never in my life have I seen leading this bad (Been casting for 10+ years and powder coating for 3)
    All my other PC rounds have never leaded at all. Just this mix...which I will NEVER be doing again. Thank goodness for Chore Boy!

Boolit Master

a bit more info please:

assuming your baking procedure was the same as before

and what is your time and temp you use.

Spray or tumble coat

type of gun powder and amount

custom 1911 with tight barrel??

this will help us with some thoughts

thanks
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Did you notice any difference after you sized them? Flaking or anything? Did you do a smash test on them to check the adherence of the coat?
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I use a Harbor Freight ES to coat. Bake in a Black & Decker toaster oven at 400 for 20 minutes.
    I hadn't done a smash test on these... Perhaps I should have but I didn't notice any of the PC flaking.
    The pistol is an Auto Ordinance GI... as plain as a 1911 can get. I'm nit sure if mixing the flat black and red did something to how it bonds... I just don't know. It's the only time I have run into a problem. Shot 450 white PC .357 and .38 the same day out of a Smith 686 and not a trace of lead in the bore. Again, same day fired 300 black PC out of a 9mm Uzi and zero leading.
    I just won't be doing any mixing of powders again.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I mix HF red and black all the time to come up with my Hershey Chocolate Brown and Bing Cherry colors. No leading........EVER.

I have no idea what you problem is. It works for me 100% of the time with ESPC.

Banger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I use a Harbor Freight ES to coat. Bake in a Black & Decker toaster oven at 400 for 20 minutes.
    I hadn't done a smash test on these... Perhaps I should have but I didn't notice any of the PC flaking.
    The pistol is an Auto Ordinance GI... as plain as a 1911 can get. I'm nit sure if mixing the flat black and red did something to how it bonds... I just don't know. It's the only time I have run into a problem. Shot 450 white PC .357 and .38 the same day out of a Smith 686 and not a trace of lead in the bore. Again, same day fired 300 black PC out of a 9mm Uzi and zero leading.
    I just won't be doing any mixing of powders again.
    so your answers eliminate all of my suggestions

OK, here's another idea: try a few in another gun revolver or whatever. Could narrow the possibilities (didn't say it was a great idea, especially if you a bit of leading in the second firearm.)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Hummm…In my guesstimation, it looks to be pointing at the PC not being cured…what could have happened there?

One thought, out here in Greenwood, our power company interrupts our power for a few minutes for no apparent reason and at no predictable time, we can't keep digital clocks set because of this…If I had a batch of PC in the oven I'd loose the power to drive the heater element…but…the mechanical timer knob would just kept on ticking, it wouldn't have stopped because of the momentary power interruption…results…uncured PC.
    You might think that you would have noticed the lights go out, but, what if you had stepped out of the shop, outside to do something else during the bake? You wouldn't notice.

That's the best 'what if' I can give ya…with my limited grey matter…OS OK
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    I mix HF powder all the time for .44 magnum, .44 special , .38 special, &.357 magnum. I don't think mixing powder is the problem. I use the shake & bake method though.

did you run a secondary thermometer to verify the temp?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokox3 View Post
    did you run a secondary thermometer to verify the temp?
    I used to run 3 thermometers (dial type from WalMart) all the time in my old convection oven. Fairly close.

Now with my new digital Oster, I only checked it when 1st new (several times) and rely on the very accurate digital front controls to keep the temp within ±3F of setting. It is a convection digital and the run 25F low from setting so I set the display at 425. Right on every time. I now use the thermometers for other things. I also did a cross-check with my FLUKE digital temp meter.

banger

I'm thinking I must have bumped the temp control or something. They sized fine, but that doesn't mean they were not fully curred Since others have mixed with no ill effect, it definitely was something I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can successfully size coated boolits that are under cooked due to low temps. But they will NOT pass the hammer test, I pound the little dudes into a cube and the coating does NOT flake off. I will split if the underlying lead cracks, but will NOT flake.

Check your boolits. I generally "hammer" one from every batch I bake for QC purposes. Only takes a few seconds. And the test subject goes back into the casting pot for next time!

Hope you locate your problem!

banger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I mix HF red and black all the time to come up with my Hershey Chocolate Brown and Bing Cherry colors. No leading........EVER.

I have no idea what you problem is. It works for me 100% of the time with ESPC.

Banger
    I have been mixing them (all HF colors) for the last 3 years without a problem. There must be some other reason for your problem. Personally I like that Black Cherry look!