WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can This Be Straightened?

Wow! I'll definitely study top view pictures of other Tauruses. It's hard for me to imagine them making it that way. Looks like an obvious screwup. Maybe bending it back saved some machining on the face bevel? I'm off to hunt for pictures. I hadn't even thought of it being made that way!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

My model 66 is the same.

Let it be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    If it works, I'd leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by rob g View Post
    As others have said they are made that way. the other side is supposed to be straight
    The RH bolster is straight because the cylinder enters & seats in the frame from the left/opposite side.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    The RH bolster is straight because the cylinder enters & seats in the frame from the left/opposite side.

Yes, and the right-hand side is also where you would expect some member of the intellectual classes to insert his screwdriver, if it had been a case of the cylinder jamming in place. If it wouldn't go into place, you would expect hammer marks.

If a stainless firearm did have gouge marks which weren't responsive to the sensible use of a soft hammer, I would consider stainless TIG or MIG welding. It can be done with much more local heat than annealing in order to bend.

Boolit Buddy
    My buddy bought a new Mossberg 930. Said he loved the gun, but he was going to have to send it back because the barrel had some kind of chip in the bore. We met at the range one day to shoot some slugs and asked if he had got the barrel replaced. He hadnt, then described the defect. I said to him, are you sure you aren't seeing the gas port.

Well, it was the gas port or ports as there were two. Sometimes we look at things and make up our minds there is a problem before giving it much thought.

Most pictures online don't show that area very clearly, and it's really hard finding top view shots, but I've convinced myself that they're all made that way! Asymmetrical as Marty Feldman's eyes! I'd've never imagined it, and it seems strange to me. I feel really silly now for having worked up this "problem" where there is none, but I've learned something! (Maybe several things.) I suppose the cosmetic blemishes they won't warrant are the minor surface scratches. Thanks to all of you!

Boolit Buddy
    I had one a while back and it was bent like that i'm almost postive. It helps in closing the cylinder. Got a S & W the same way.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Boolit Grand Master

Delete Post

Boolit Master

I had one of those. Mine had the same bend backwards. I thought it was strange too.

Boolit Master
    Ricochet, never noticed it before reading this thread. My Judge bought NIB is exactly like yours... looks like the bent ear is made that way to make clearance for the extractor/ratchet entering. Mine works fine, despite the chambers being bored in spirals (just smoothed with #400 sandpaper).

Boolit Master

I had the same problem with a Taurus that I got from Bubba, it was such a good deal I didn't really pay that much attention to it till I got home. Mine is a .454 Casull that has cylinder latches in front and back, I think Bubba forgot that and decided to pry it open with the same screwdriver he used on your's. I got the pry marks and scratches inside the frame. Mine is blued and I just sat it muzzle down on the bench (padded) and whacked it with a plastic mallet, that worked a little but not enough so I broke out my trusty CAST BOOLITS lead hammer and that did the job. It's not quite 100% but close enough for me .
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Bub
    I know I'm late to the party but I just pulled my Model 44 out of the safe. Bought by me brand new at least 20 years ago that is how it is made just like your picture shows.

Leave it be!!!! I was at a gun show this weekend and looked at a table full of Taurus revolvers and they all looked like yours.

BTW, I looked and looked at that thing until I realized that from the BOTTOM view it was obviously bent, and that a group of tiny parallel scratches showed where someone had tried straightening it with a drift punch. I propped it up in a corner of my deck, supported with a block of wood, the main resistance being to the muzzle nearly in a straight line and wailed on it with a 1/2" brass drift and my 5 pound rescued and restored hammer. I took 0000 steel wool wet with kerosene to polish it. Perfect? No, if I look closely I can see a light dent at the edge. But it looks better, it works perfectly, and I'm happy. I'm done.

Boolit Master
    I think mine are all swept back like that. Sort of a ramp to guide the cartridges in as it closes I think.

Boolit Buddy

I believe this is intended. Several of my revIolvers have a similar cant to them. I think it is intended for the easy reseating of the cylinder.

Yes, I understand about the swept back face and tapered groove for the easy closing of the cylinder. But this one was additionally bent back at the groove so that the rear face of the bolster was bent back to the rear. You can see it if you study the top view closely, but it was really obvious when I viewed it from the bottom. Someone had previously tried to drive it down with a punch as I did. It's fixed now.

Boolit Master
    Here are 2 of mine. Model 607 and 941. I purchased both of them new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160530_215923-1.jpg   20160530_215813-1.jpg  
    Last edited by rosewood; 05-31-2016 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Here are pictures of my S&W 27 and 36 with the bent plate original to the guns.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	169500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	169501