RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Why People Give Up On Casting

Why People Give Up On Casting

Why NOT To Give Up On Casting...

I started at 850° with a mold I warmed on the hotplate and turned down the flow of lead. I ended up with what I think are 132 usable bullets. This is my second attempt and I threw out maybe 20. I will take it.

Now for the question of the day. As it was my first successful pour and the number produced so small I decided to weigh all of them. I got the following results:

127.4 Average
    128.0 Max
    126.4 Min
    1.6 Spread

Because I weighed them all I culled an absolutely perfect looking bullet that weighed 124.6 grains because a) it must have had a cavity inside it, and b) it pushed my difference in weight up to 3.4 grains. Now assuming that most guys do not weigh every single bullet, what effect would that have when you choose a charge assuming your bullets are all within 1.6 grains of each other when really you are working with a difference of 3.4? Would it be dangerous?

This bullet is supposed to drop at 125 so 127 is fine with me, but thus far I have not found any load data for it for the powder I have (Ramshot Silhouette). I can find similar bullet weight and style, but not with my powder, to say nothing of COL. I will keep working on that.

Anyway, much better second attempt. Thank you all very much!

Boolit Grand Master

Use load data for 125 grain bullets. COL is determined by your gun load according. Make sure they fit the mag and pass the plunk test.

As far as the difference in weight I would not be concerned at all. For hunting bullets I cull to +-.2 grains. But in all honesty it hasn't made a difference on target. I'm not shooting at 300+ yards but it will make a difference at longer ranges. I don't bother weighing pistol bullets after determining what a few initially weight. It's size/lube/load/shoot for them.

Banned

I made a PID and it worked fine but to choke voltage and amps creates heat. I made an extra large heat sink but it was not enough so the PID burned up. Heat is a huge problem so to pay $140 for one could be a pig in a poke. Is there a warranty for a replacement? Those things get super hot.

Boolit Grand Master

Did you burn up the PID or a SSR? The SSR is what would burn up if you installed one, which you should. W/ the proper size SSR and heatsink there are no worries about over heating. That being said electronic and mechanical parts can and will fail at anytime.

So to sum all that up. Use a SSR and if it fails replace it. The PID simply tells the SSR when to turn on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Use load data for 125 grain bullets. COL is determined by your gun load according. Make sure they fit the mag and pass the plunk test.

As far as the difference in weight I would not be concerned at all. For hunting bullets I cull to +-.2 grains. But in all honesty it hasn't made a difference on target. I'm not shooting at 300+ yards but it will make a difference at longer ranges. I don't bother weighing pistol bullets after determining what a few initially weight. It's size/lube/load/shoot for them.
    The closest I can find using my powder is a 125 grain JHP. Should I just try to find one of the powders listed? The manuals talk about small changes in COL effecting pressure and especially in 9mm (Lyman 49th). If I figure it based on what will chamber as close to a listed bullet that is not even the same shape it seems like I am asking for trouble. No?

I guess it would be prudent to ask if anyone on the forum has loaded the Lee 356-125 RN (not tumble), using Ramshot Silhouette?

There is a 124 grain listed in Lee's book using RS.

Boolit Grand Master

Ramshot has a load listed in their manual for a 124 grain bullet. I suggest you download it.

As for COL and pressure. They are right when it comes to a cartridge like 9mm. But the manual data is only specific to the firearm they used to develop it. Each firearm is going to be different and you have to work up accordingly. A drastic reduction from the manual would raise a flag in my mind. But outside of Hornady bullets none of the ones I use are listed in manuals.

I have that manual in print, and simply missed it. I was looking at five different manuals. I feel stupid. Thank you for taking the time to look. Sorry you had to do it! Dangit.

When it comes to load charges , you always start low and go up. When you have a listed recipe and oal for a certain bullet its easy to figure out how far that bullet is seated into the case, the volume left in the case is what determine pressures , not how long the round is . If I'm making it clear to picture.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowJ View Post
    I have that manual in print, and simply missed it. I was looking at five different manuals. I feel stupid. Thank you for taking the time to look. Sorry you had to do it! Dangit.
    If it's any consolation I was looking at Vol. 4.1. Vol. 6.0 has a lot of loads listed for Silhouette.

The Berry's plated 124 grain listed in the data has a COL of 1.160. That bullet passes the plunk test in my barrel at that COL.

My cast bullet had to have a COL of 1.085 to pass. A difference if .075.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Super View Post
    When it comes to load charges , you always start low and go up. When you have a listed recipe and oal for a certain bullet its easy to figure out how far that bullet is seated into the case, the volume left in the case is what determine pressures , not how long the round is . If I'm making it clear to picture.
    But my data is for a bullet that is longer than my bullet. However, even though my bullet is shorter it has to be seated deeper to pass the plunk test.

So basically the depth inside the case is similar so that data would be a good one. It's the main reason why charges get less as bullet weight goes up , those bullets are longer and need to be seated deeper so less volume left in case , less volume =more pressure so less powder to keep the pressure the same . If you get into looking at it that way , it's easier to work up loads without much published data.
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Super View Post
    So basically the depth inside the case is similar so that data would be a good one. It's the main reason why charges get less as bullet weight goes up , those bullets are longer and need to be seated deeper so less volume left in case , less volume =more pressure so less powder to keep the pressure the same . If you get into looking at it that way , it's easier to work up loads without much published data.
    So a 147 grain bullet would have to be seated deeper because it would necessarily be longer meaning less volume leading to greater pressure. Thanks!

The manual he mentioned above also has a 124 grain lead bullet with an COL of 1.050 which is even closer to what I have so I am going to go with that.

Thanks again guys!

Banned
    digging up the past --- good information

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    digging up the past --- good information
    Agree. I am reading this for the first time today and learned some things.