Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Magnetic buckshot

Boolit Buddy

Magnetic buckshot

No, not James Bond deflecting a lead bullet with a fancy watch but a silly idea.

Small powerful magnets have become relatively cheap over the last few years. So what would happen if several stacks of mini magnets were loaded into a shotgun cartridge? Would they stay together like a shotgun slug and then break into separate projectiles upon impact? Would the high speed magnetic fields going down a steel barrel create extra resistance to the movement and push up pressures?

I think someone should try it (I have no shotgun).

The small, squat cylindrical type, just under 1/3 of the diameter of the inside of a shotgun cup might work. They would have to be weighed to match an equivalent steel shot load.

BB

I would first wrap the barrel with inductive wire and then have your buddy hold the wire! You could say it's for science.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent idea.

Or I could shoot a coil/capacitor combination down a barrel that was surrounded with ring magnets and make electric bullets.

"I think you have too much spare time over there…the mind is slipping…but if you must…try this channel over on You Tube, there are hours of stuff going downrange from a shotgun barrel.

Custom Homemade Shotgun Shells 2 (Razors, Spark Plug, Live .22 ammo, batteries)

I keep waiting to see the barrel banana.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    ^^^^^^^^^AGREE^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!

Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And to what end are you wanting to shoot magnets out of a shotgun? Spheres (shot) have been proven to be excellent stable porjectiles. Now you are wanting to send broken irregular-shaped chards of magnets down the barrel?

Guess I just don't follow the thought process.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    .......and we accomplished what?..........

Other than wasting some really fun toy magnets! I have a bunch of those that I enjoy playing with...like they were designed and sold to do.

I will stick to casting my shot from Pb at VERY low prices.

Interesting video at hi-frame rates.

banger

bangerjim​This is just another example, though amusing, of how people in general have evolved somehow and left their 'common sense' behind!

Boolit Mold
    I don't think powder coating was designed to shake and bake on boolits but it's amazing how well it works. Sometimes, I think, you just need to try something to see what happens.

I was surprised that any of the balls stayed stuck together and that there was enough magnetic attraction to reattach some together after firing.

It does seem weird shooting magnets but there might be a market for short range, limited penetration like home defense and such. Apartment dwellings.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    Why? Because it can be done. No other reason.

Boolit Grand Master

Magnets are normally very hard and a shot cup may not give enough protection to the barrel. But on steel targets you shouldnt be able to miss. LOL

Perm-Banned
    if you want shot to stay together untill it hits then busts apart, do this. open the ends of you shot shells and pour melted wax into the shot. when cooled it holds the shot together and it hits like a slug then breaks up for the damage you want. no need to use magnets or slugs any more, could use glue instead of wax also.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaster View Post
    I don't think powder coating was designed to shake and bake on boolits but it's amazing how well it works. Sometimes, I think, you just need to try something to see what happens..
    Who knows?? You might create a flux capacitor and become Marty's best friend. Lol.!!!
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Buddy

Imagine what people said the first time when somebody put an extremely fast combustible in a pipe and ignited it while somebody held on to the end of it to aim it. Hell if somebody hadn't done that we would still be throwing rocks and spears.
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Master

Kindle reminds me of our home made fire cracker pistols that we use to experiment with.None of us ever got hurt but the potential was there.

There was this one kid that was taking large firecrackers apart and stuffing a pipe with them when it went off and took the middle to the little fingers off.I don't know the size of pipe or how much powder was in the pipe but he managed to set it off by tamping the powder down.I think that it was said that he was using a steel rod to do the tamping with and it caused a spark. that was the theory any way.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    Kindle reminds me of our home made fire cracker pistols that we use to experiment with.None of us ever got hurt but the potential was there.

There was this one kid that was taking large firecrackers apart and stuffing a pipe with them when it went off and took the middle to the little fingers off.I don't know the size of pipe or how much powder was in the pipe but he managed to set it off by tamping the powder down.I think that it was said that he was using a steel rod to do the tamping with and it caused a spark. that was the theory any way.

Waaaaayyyyy back when I was young and dumb (at least I'm older now anyway) we discovered that the powder from those old fire crackers would go off if struck with a hammer depending on what it was laying on. Certain kinds of rocks and it would go off easily and every single time while with others it would never go off no matter how hard we smacked it with the hammer. It would also go off when smacked between two of those rocks but when placed on steel and struck with the hammer it would go off sometimes and other times it would not, apparently impact alone wouldn't cause it to detonate but if the blow made the slightest spark then BOOM!

Why were we doing this? Don't ask, however I still have all my fingers but looking back on that era I guess the fact my hands are still intact is mostly attributable to luck!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I would first wrap the barrel with inductive wire and then have your buddy hold the wire! You could say it's for science.
    I'll second that advice and no we aren't hunting together:takinWiz:
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

I've got to ask,is this a idea to try getting around the steel shot laws? Most Wardens use a magnet to check for steel shot. Basically when the law was enacted and handloaders started making their own ammo for waterfowl hunting,the hull might be marked as something else other than steel,and the easiest way we had to check for lead was by using a magnet/ some guys really don't like giving up a round to be opened and checked,so at that time I was in Kansas, we were issued a pocket magnet the Fed's can still open a shell not marked steel shot,to check for lead.which I would do if my magnet wouldn't stick to your shell,two magnets don't always stick together.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 04-26-2016 at 12:06 AM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here