Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I didn't know this about Steve McQueen

I didn't know this about Steve McQueen

Years after his death, Steve McQueen is still the King of Cool. In the late 70’s, he bought a vintage bi-plane and hired an experienced pilot named Sammy Mason to train him to fly it. Mason was a devout Christian and the Holy Spirit used him to lead Steve and his wife Barbara to Christ. They began attending church with Mason.
    By September, 1980, Steve was battling advanced cancer. Grady Ragsdale, McQueen’s ranch manager, contacted Billy Graham. “Steve really wants to talk to you,” he said, “he’s in a bad way.” The next day, Billy met with Steve. Billy said he looked “all wrinkled and shrunk, but his eyes sparkled above the oxygen mask he was using.” McQueen sat up in the bed and greeted Graham warmly, telling him of his spiritual experience. About 3 months before he knew he was ill, he accepted Christ as his savior and started reading his Bible and praying. He had undergone a total transformation of his life. Billy read Romans 8 from his Bible, the two men prayed and visited and Steve asked numerous questions. Billy gave him his Bible.
    Steve then left on a private jet to Mexico for a last-hope surgery not available in the U.S. The next morning his heart failed and the actor made his ultimate “great escape” into the presence of Jesus. Billy’s well-marked Bible was resting on his chest.
    Steve’s wife said that being born again in Christ helped him find the inner peace that eluded him so long.

In Remembrance

Wonderful story. We will get to see him one day in Heaven. That will be nice but the one I want to see most is Jesus my Savior. Praise God for another soul in the family.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

I am glad to hear about Steve McQueen's conversion and also Billy Graham's being able to meet with him. Two greats that had taken completely different paths but still were able to connect at a time when it was important to do so. We can only speculate how Steve's life might have been different had he committed to Christ at a younger age. However what is important is that he did commit before he went off into eternity.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Had a Pastor tell my wife and I that story years ago. I choked up then, and I did just now. Praise God.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Perma-Banned

I didn't know that, either. Good to hear...

Boolit Master
    Great story, thanks!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for a great story. McQueen always seemed to evidence that he was searching for something, and I had a sense that even he didn't know exactly what it was. This makes the story seem even more poignant. I've known a number of men like that. And when they transform, they REALLY transform, too! Mostly, they've just got the personality that just won't let them do things half-way. Including conversion. It's always good to hear of stories like this. It's fashionable to pan Hollywood, but they're people just like the rest of us, and Christ died for them as much as He did for any of us. And there are stories all over, even in Hollywood and other seemingly unlikely places, about this type of thing. Wherever there are people, there's an opportunity, and it's humbling to realize who it is sometimes who responds, and who doesn't. Often, the ones we'd expect to win don't move, and the ones we'd least suspect do. I think there's a lesson in there somewhere. Maybe something about casting our bread upon the waters, maybe?

Always liked Steve McQueen, "JESUS IS LORD"
    Aim Small Miss Small

Moderator Emeritus

All I can say is WOW....didnt know that....thanks for sharing.....it only goes to show that it is NEVER too late to come to the Lord.....He is always with us ... just let Him in...Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Steve was and still is, the King of Cool!

Boolit Master
    Awesome story!

Boolit Master
    Merry Christmas everyone! It's a great day to revive this thread!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Thanks for the insight. Merry Christmas to everyone and may God bless you all.
    Wild Bill 7

Billy Graham was really something.

As a kid, in 1968, he spoke at our Jr. High School.
    I remember feeling a energy come into the auditorium when he took the stage.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Steve is a Who so ever
    God is Good
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

What a great story about a great person....thanks for sharing it with us!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I never knew that either, thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master
    I have heard this before & always enjoyed it. It makes me smile.
    I enjoyed Steve's works,, and he was a good actor.
    And Billy Graham,, well, he lived just up the road from us. Well known locally, including Ruth, & Franklin. Good people,, & quite warm.
    I grew up knowing that Billy was the real deal,, while so many others were shysters & fakes,,!
    I remember a story back in the late 1970's about TV Evangelists, Jim Baker, Oral Roberts, etc,, all were chastised for the way the preached & their life styles & monies.
    Jim Baker "claimed" that the Devil got into their computer system,, and "stole" about 7 million dollars. Yet,, with all of the stuff about all the others,, Billy Graham,, was praised for taking a modest salary, and living in a modest home. And,, his financial records were available for audit. None of the others would do that.

Billy was the real deal,, and I know that Steve was glad to have his help & support.
    I bet the both of them are enjoying each others company in Heaven.

Boolit Master
    When Steve still raced in motorcycle races he used to enter under the name of Harvey Mushman so he could at least try to avoid the fans. There have been many modern day conversions that no one seems to know about Jack "Murph the surf' Murphy, and a real weird one General Butt Naked. Do a word search on the general it is amassing the lengths our Savior will go to save one of us.

Boolit Buddy

McQueen was in that movie " On any Sunday" where he rode dirt bikes and raced in the desert.