WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How useful is Linotype?

Boolit Buddy

How useful is Linotype?

I have a source for up to 500lb of Linotype for $1/lb.

I have a pretty good collection of pure lead, some antimony lead and some pewter (most purchases here).

If you had the chance, would you get a hundred pounds or so of Linotype? $1/lb seems like a really good deal!

Boolit Buddy

drfroglegs
    Where are you in Maryland I would be interested in 1-2 hundred lbs of Lino if close by I am in southern De.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

I am in Columbia, but the lead is in Baltimore.

I plan on picking up about 200lbs, so there should be plenty left.

PM me if you're still interested and I'll give you some info.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would buy it all if it was close to me!!

Boolit Master
    I find Linotype very useful and probably will become even more useful in the future as the COWW supply is depleted. I am seeing scrap lino at up to 2.00 a pound so would certainly buy all I could afford at the given price. It will come in handy in the future for various types of shooting. 1 lino and 1 pure lead makes magnum alloy (2-6-92) 1 lino and 3 pure lead makes very good mild pistol loads at (1-3-96). If you buy it, it will be there for you if you need it for whatever purpose in the future. Good find. Dusty

Boolit Buddy
    If you could buy all 500lbs and sell 300lbs for $2 per you would probably pay for the trip AND end up with 200lbs or so free. Ding Ding Ding Winner!

Boolit Grand Master
    For $1/lb, I would buy all I could afford.

I don't think I would be casting any boolits from straight linotype, but it would be a great way to get tin and antimony into a mixture.

If nothing else, it doesn't eat much and you could almost always sell some for more than that.

Robert

It is the magic ingredient of casting. Linotype hardens up lead so you can make virtually any recipe you want with it. Start with pure lead and add lino and go from there.
    At $1 per pound it is a real deal. I'd buy every pound I could afford at that price.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    A real steal at a buck! I bought all I could get at that price 2 years ago.....several hundred pounds.

Excellent alloy to mix with!!!!

Get all of it. Raid your wife's cookie jar if necessary to ge the money. $500 is nothing for that alloy. You will not be sorry if you do any amount of casting now and in the years to come

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, linotype is really useful for home casters and most will pay a buck a pound for it. Jes wonderin', what shape is it in? Chunks, bars or big blocks? I'm on a budget so I would only go 75-80 lbs.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine that worked at a news paper office told me last week he knew where a pig was hidden in the ceiling of the news paper office. Now if only I could get in there to get it.
    Yup buy it all.

Over the years I have grabbed every little bit of linotype I could touch. I have 8 25lb pigs (at .75 per pound 10 years ago) and many 5 gallon buckets of letters and spacers (bought some and traded for most). I have probably 250 lbs of the stuff.
    Get the linotype. Drive there and pick it up. It is a once-in-a-blue-moon chance to score linotype.
    As one that is a hopeless lead scrounger, I must tell you that you would be crazy if you didn't get this.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    I would buy any you don't want. I'm in VA.

I buy all the lino I can get & usually use it straight with a little soft added for 223s & add to soft or WWs to make #2 for most shooting in rifle & magnum pistol. Good stuff

But again, I will BUY what you don't want. By the way, I have been buying lino/mono/foundry for $1.60# m/l shipped, not 2$, & I have bought a lot.

Boolit Buddy

Well I just got home. WHAT A DEAL!

I ended up getting 200lbs and wish I had more money. The Linotype is obviously straight from the press. He had TWO 55gal drums full to the top. I took out my 200lbs (probably 250, he was very generous) and I bet the drum went down maybe 6". I bet there is a solid TON of Linotype that man has.

I PMed the people who asked me about it. It is very nice Linotype. Most of the strips still have words on them!

Boolit Grand Master
    Sure wish I was within reasonable driving distance.

Robert

3/4 of a drum weighs in around 1200-ish pounds
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    If I were you I would keep this honey hole to yourself and get back there often and buy more. Maybe offer him a little less for a larger quantity.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    If I were you I would keep this honey hole to yourself and get back there often and buy more. Maybe offer him a little less for a larger quantity.
    I was convinced that 200lbs was all I could possibly ever need, but you guys are making me think twice!

Would any of you have reservations about melting it down into ingots rather than leaving it in letter form. I don't know if that hurts resell value at all to have it in ingots.

I plan on getting XRF done on it so I will know the exact composition down the road if I was to resell it. These ingots fit a lot better in ammo cans than the letters fit in buckets, and they take up a lot less space in ingots.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know your age but as time goes by there will be less and less scrap print shop lino available and people will be forced to buy what they require from the metal vendors with their higher prices. You are already buying this considerably below market value... I'll say buy it all even if you don't think that you'll need it, it'll make you more $$$ than the same amount in CDs. Ten years down the road who knows what the price of lino will be but almost certainly it will be quite a bit higher.

Oh, and for resale the letter form would be preferred IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by drfroglegs View Post
    I was convinced that 200lbs was all I could possibly ever need, but you guys are making me think twice!

Would any of you have reservations about melting it down into ingots rather than leaving it in letter form. I don't know if that hurts resell value at all to have it in ingots.

I plan on getting XRF done on it so I will know the exact composition down the road if I was to resell it. These ingots fit a lot better in ammo cans than the letters fit in buckets, and they take up a lot less space in ingots.
    The 200 lbs. you think you need is probably 400 lbs. you will really use and since the printing industry no longer uses this lead it means buying at scrap prices is going to be less and less likely. Rotometals wants over $3 per pound on sale. People on the forum will generally pay around $2 per pound for it in its raw letter form.

Melt only in small batches to use as you cast if it has letters. With letters in strips it is "proof of alloy" if you are trying to sell or trade. No doubt that is linotype. Be like melting down known silver coins, everyone knows what a silver half dollar is and that it has exactly a certain amount of silver, melted it is just a lump of metal. Bad move.

If I was you I would sort the spacer strips from the letters, melt just the spacer strips into one big batch. Or multiple batches that you re-mix the ingots between batches so that all the ingots are the same well mixed alloy THAT lead you want to get XRF tested to know what it is. Shops used all sorts of stuff for spacers. I have some batches come in under linotype in alloy but also had some spacers that were 1.5 times more Sn and Sb than lino. So you want to mix well and get tested. Can plug the exact alloy into the custom line at the bottom of the alloy calculator to use in recipes.

If you can go back and get more. If you have to wait until payday or something then contact the person and strike a deal to purchase a certain amount on payday. I doubt you will again see hundreds of pounds of linotype at $1 per pound in your lifetime unless you are very lucky or keep looking a long time. I would not in too much of a hurry to share until I had eaten my fill of the score. I may be a nut but I have hit up my savings and taken the day off of work to nail a small barrel the couple of times I found them. On the other hand that means I have a good supply and if someone is selling something I really want I can sell some or trade linotype for it. Linotype under the bench IS money in the bank.

I should mention that sometimes I sit in the garage on a folding chair staring at my lead stash and muttering "my precious" in a way that sort of scares the wife.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat