Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Savage 219 in 30-30.

Boolit Master

Problems with Savage 219 in 30-30.

Bought a 219 and it has problems. When I try to close the barrel with a snap-cap, it is difficult to close and will not cock. Close on empty chamber and it closes okay, and cocks sometimes. The rifle is probably the first model that came out, because it has a flat curved steel trigger guard. I do not know if the barrel assembly is original to the rifle, nor do I know how to identify if the barrel is a later model or the correct one for this receiver.

Does closing the barrel cock the firing pin? When I open the barrel with the snap cap, it launches the snap cap maybe ten feet behind me. Is this normal?

What say you experts on the Savage 219? Order a new firing pin from Numrich ?

I will not have time to work on the rifle for a week or so, there is time to noodle this out, hopefully.

Banned

I know that at some point, they changed how the gun cocked (one type the lever that opened the gun did it and another was the opening itself), so barrels for one type don't work on the other type.I recentlt got a 220B shotgun thinking it would take 219 rifle barrels, but they're different. No problem, it's a nice little shotgun and was cheap. Could it be you have a different barrel from what the gun originally had?

Broken firing pins are said to be a chronic problem with the 219. Sorry I don't have anymore help than that. They are neat rifles, I like mine better than the various H&R single shots, though they probably aren't as rugged and durable.

Boolit Master

Mine also spits the cartridge out about ten feet which is okay if your hunting and need to reload quickly. But 99.9% of my shooting is for fun at the bench. I wish the ejector were selective. Maybe I'll spread a tarp out to catch the ctgs.

Boolit Master

I'll bet the problem is the snapcap. The rifle ejects the empty as designed to . Take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out. Don't like the ejector it can be disabled by him.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    does the snap cap set level with the barrel when you cock the ejector and seat it if not the cap is to thick. have seen that one several single shot rifles.

IMHO, (as posted above) your problem is the snap-cap being used (I would thin it's rim from the front edge).

FWIW:

There are different versions of Savage 219/220 single shots, and all barrels are NOT interchangeable.

There are Model 219's, 219B's 219C's & 219L's.

The Model 220 has a similar, but non-identical progression of improved models.

The earliest 219's & 220's were striker-fired, and were re-cocked by the opening action of the top lever, which incidentally released the barrel lock so the barrel could be swung open, and the shell ejector tripped off.

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

Then, Savage changed the internal design, from a striker to a concealed hammer - which the operation of the top lever no longer was able to re-cock.

Soooo, on all subsequent models, there is a cocking lever inside the front of the action body, which lies alongside the barrel's locking lug when the gun is closed, or in the firing position.

The cocking lever/arm is raised, re-cocking the gun, only when the barrel is swung open (not by the top lever opening) - by a spring-loaded stud located in the side of the later model's barrel's locking lug(s).

These guns are the 219B/219C/219L, and later 220's.

These later guns ergo require also a later barrel, WITH the cocking lug - which is absent on earlier barrels.

The early, no-cocking lug barrels will not re-cock the later guns - burdensome, to say the least.

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

If it has one, the gun needs a barrel with a cocking stud.
    If it has none, the gun can use any barrel.

Within the barrel interchange limits, defined above, any 219 or 220 in good/serviceable condition is safe with any other 219 or 220 barrel in good/serviceable condition.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for y'alls help. Mine is an early model, cocks with top lever. It does have a number inside the frame, three digits, and the barrel has the same number stamped on it as well, so I assume (yeah, I know) it is the original barrel.

I am beginning to think the action is okay, just really stiff. I will take the stock off and soak the receiver in a parts washer then blow dry to see if that helps.

It appears that the firing pin is rough and not rounded as I have seen on my other rifles. I am beginning to think the little rifle can be fixed and become a fun little rifle.

Get rid of the snap cap. Deprime a fired case and fill the primer pocket with hot melt glue if you need to dry fire it and se if this helps. Often the action will close but not enough to let the gun cock and fire. 219's are quite simple to work on but take pictures during disassembly.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I got a Model 219 as a basket case. It needs a new firing pin and ejector. It's an early model with striker. Any one know where I can get good assembly instructions? I think Numrich has the parts. Just got to get around to fixing it.

Banned

"Often the action will close but not enough to let the gun cock and fire. 219's are quite simple to work on but take pictures during disassembly. "

This is an occasional problem on my .22 Hornet. Happenned while I wasw squirrel hunting the other evening (still got the two I was trying to get). What can be done to fix the problem?

I keep a snap cap in mine, might have to make one with a fired case and hot glue as described.

Banned

"Often the action will close but not enough to let the gun cock and fire. 219's are quite simple to work on but take pictures during disassembly. "

This is an occasional problem on my .22 Hornet. Happenned while I wasw squirrel hunting the other evening (still got the two I was trying to get). What can be done to fix the problem?

I keep a snap cap in mine, might have to make one with a fired case and hot glue as described.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savage219types.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	159826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage219LpartslistfromDeHaas.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	159827The book "A Potpourri of Single Shot Actions" by Frank de Haas 1993 , chapter 19 is "The Savage 219 Single Shot Rifle"

Name:	2-16-2010IstookmySavage216L-D30-30aparttoreplacethefiringpin.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	159828Here the stripped receiver sits on a copy of "Gun Digest book of Exploded Gun Drawings".

I hope you don't have the L model. Replacing the firing pin in that one is no fun.

219 in 25-20

Mine is an early model 219 in 25-20. The cases are ejected from the breech about the same speed I shoot the boolits out the muzzle. The 25-20's are hard to come by. I have perfected a technique where I break the gun and slide my thumb over back of cartridge to halt it's trajectory. I also have a dummy case that has been hot glued. Sometimes the rifle will not cock unless the lever is pushed all the way over. I often loan this rifle to folks who've no got if we are spotlighting with two rifles. They take a while to catch cases and master cocking the action. I am waiting on a 12 gauge barrel showing up for it I bought from gun broker. It shoots the 86gr plain base 25740 somewhere about point of tumble and probably around 1400fps with 8grs. of ADI 2207 (H 4198). The long barrel seems to muffle the report; can often shoot two or three animals together. Took this nice hare and a few rabbits and wallabies couple of days ago.

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	159947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	159949

I'm impressed, that a Savage 219 made it to Tasmania...

I'm impressed that I made it here too. Didn't get here 'til I was 40 year old batchelor. Nearly 50 with wife and three weans. Lots of barter here not much cash.

Banned

I have a .30-30 one with a ruined barrel I intended to have lined to .32 S&W Long, but have been having second thoughts about .25-20 or maybe even .256 Winchester mag. To me, the 219 s the perfect heft and balance for a stalking/small game rifle. The .22 Hornet I have is a fox squirrel killing machine.

By the way, I think a 12 gauge barrel on a 219 platform is going to kick the absolute daylights out of you. I have a 220B in 20 gauge I have yet to shoot, but they are light guns and don't look like much fun to shoot with anything that recoils much.

I figure I'll be able to load some lighter shells to protect the stock more than my shoulder. It has a hairline crack behind the tang. I noticed that Numrichs has a new stock might go that route if I can't repair the original. I bought some 256 dies and formed a shell or two with some dies I hacked down from 30-30 seater. I was about to send the barrel off to rechamber and found a bag of 200 new brass I must have bought with rifle. I think the light load will give me a bit more 25-20 mileage. Incidentally the 256 is marginally shorter than 25-20 I thought this might make a wee step in the throat. Haven't completely ruled out 25-35.

Boolit Grand Master
    I found a 12 gauge barrel (with forearm that matches) for my 219. Recoil is about like any of the old single shot guns; i.e. with field loads it isn't bad, but it will probably rattle your teeth with magnums.

Since I don't plan to hunt ducks or turkeys with it, not a big problem.

I wouldn't mind finding some more barrels in various gauges/ calibers, I still remember seeing one in a Seattle gun shop with five barrels in 1989.

Robert

"I intended to have lined to .32 S&W Long"

I was looking for a barrel in 30-30 but never found. I would be interested in it if you didn't see project through. In what way is it ruined? Shot out or chambersmithing balls up.

Banned

Someone attempting to drill it for a scope mount (I think) drilled through and into the chamber. The front hole they didn't quite get into the bore. I'm guessing it could be saved if a guy silver soldered some screws in the holes (which the guy who drilled them also tapped them) and then ran a .30-30 chamber reamer in. I'm not a gun smith and don't know if that would handle .30-30 or not, I've contemplated doing it and just using it with cat sneeze loads, but I kind of wnat another in a small caliber, I have several .30-30s of various types already.