RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! My email is being spammed to death:-(

Boolit Grand Master

HELP! My email is being spammed to death:-(

Starting about a month ago I started getting a ton of spam emails/advertisement, like a 100+ per day sometimes. I just opened my email now, first 7 were the exact same ad on buying a 2015 Ford pickup(they must know I drive an old 07 F150?) then 4 or 5 from Doctor OZ for diabetes, testosterone boost and weight lose, etc., Asian women, VOIP phones and on and on and on! What gives? My email spam filter is on the highest setting and filters NOTHING! Fed up....
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Just the nature of the internet. It tends to come in waves, you get tons, then it tapers off. I have 2 accounts, one is my shmuck account with a fake name, some site requires an address to continue, thats the one they get. You would be surprised the places that sell your email address. Usually easy to figure out you sign up at someplace new and start getting alot of spam. I don't even check the spam on my shmuck account, just let it pile up, eventually it will delete them automatically.

Spam emails? Really? Welcome to Hell brother.....

Boolit Grand Master

Wonder why the spam filter doesn't work? I have unsubscrided to a 100 or so in the last month, but what a pain.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I use the cloudmark spam filter. It is very good.
    Been using it for many years.

It misses one or two a day but gets most of them.

http://www.cloudmarkdesktop.com/
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

The worst thing you can possibly do is unsubscribe. Random email address are worth a fraction of a cent an email with a know live person is worth considerably more.

and never ever ( let me repeat that - NEVER EVER !!! ) post your addy on the world wide web , or at least as it is, change it from something like johnQpublic@nowheresville.com to johnQpublicATnowheresvilleDOTcom or johnQpublic at nowheresville dot com, they dont have to be cap letters as small ones will work but it stops the web bot crawlers from picking them up ( gee i hope i didnt just cause some poor guy with that addy to get spammed ....oops :P )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

I just installed cloudmark, we'll see. Thanks to everyone that replied.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Williamwaco: I take it I have to mark spam the first time for this to start working? I just posted here and went to my email inbox, 7 new, 4 same and 3 the same
    Charter Member #148

If you think your private email gets a lot of spam, try running a business with a public email and phone number listed on the internet.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Moderator Emeritus

BINGO Your unsubscribing was actually the opposite! You verified your email was valid! NEVER use the unsubscribe, just spam file it into oblivion and ignore it!

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Wonder why the spam filter doesn't work? I have unsubscrided to a 100 or so in the last month, but what a pain.

Go to g mail open a new account, or 2. 1 for your own stuff and 1 to give to everyone else.

Boolit Grand Master

63 spams this morning, so I think it has slowed some but still too many!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Williamwaco: I take it I have to mark spam the first time for this to start working? I just posted here and went to my email inbox, 7 new, 4 same and 3 the same

Yes and no the thing that makes it so effective is that they keep a database of everything all users report. If some spam has been reported before you will never see it. But yes, if you get a spam, highlight it and click on "Block"
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks WWaco! We will see what the future holds
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Scott you're just a popular guy .
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Tracking cookies or malware won't help.

In Remembrance
    When you need to give an email address to continue;
    signing a petition
    doing a fake checkout to learn the shipping fee
    answering a survey
    voting for an issue

use Mailinator.com .
    You just make up the first part of the address.
    You can make up a new one every time, or you can always use the same one ... so you can check it occasionally to see what has come in for you.

That works when a site sends you an email that you have to click on to verify you got it.

So, say your made up part is 'junkie'. Your email address is junkie (at) mailinator.com

You can go to Mailinator.com and type in junkie to see what has landed in the inbox.

The service is free ... and anonymous. But, there are higher levels of service you could explore.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    the wife works for century link. the spammers have found a way around the company's filters. right now I am getting 400-500 every three days.

she says don't open and try to unsubscribe. you will only get more if you are lucky. if not lucky opening it could download a virus.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Do NOT ever unsubscribe! NEVER! That only lets the a-hollles they have a good hot viable email address to send even more span to and to sell to other spammers.

Your address has been sold en-bulk to spammers. I got the same thing starting 3 weeks ago and it comes from EVERY country on the planet. 40% of them I cannot even read because they are not in the world's standard defacto language.....ENGLISH!

And.........it was my professional company address. I cannot change it. So I aliased it to another account (gmail) and am using my other email address for business and advising all customer of the change. I will have one of my office people go to the gmail address once a week and check for real emails and delete all the other carp.

My 3 server spam filters will not handle it all. 150 a day kept getting thru the domain blocking filters.

There is not much you can do. It will eventually fall off the end of the "fresh list" as long as you DO NOT unsubscribe or reply to/from anything!!!!!!!!!!!!