RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: NRA poll

Boolit Grand Master

I suppose you're right Charles, but I just can't bear to give up on people like that. I keep thinking if they could only see the damage they are doing to themselves and to the people around them, they would change.
    Probably hubris of youth.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I suppose you're right Charles, but I just can't bear to give up on people like that. I keep thinking if they could only see the damage they are doing to themselves and to the people around them, they would change.
    Probably hubris of youth.
    I hear you Tim, but at 73 I have finally learned I can't inform people that don't want to be informed, help people that don't want to be helped and change people that don't want to changed. It is a pity they do so much damage. It took me a very long time to learn this.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    perotter

Did you notice the word "considered" in what I said? Apparently not. I did not say they "were" a militia, simply said they were considered a militia by the folks in said militia's. The SCOTUS ruling has not changed that consideration or perception.

BTW; that SCOTUS decsision did not rule the NG is not a militia. It merely ruled the NG of any state is subject to federalization (active duty or active duty for training). The case had nothing to do with whether the NG was a militia or not but rather cnsidered the qestion whether the NG could be ordered to active duty over the ojections of a govenor.

"This interpretation merely recognizes the supremacy of federal power in the military affairs area and does not significantly affect either the State's basic training responsibility or its ability to rely on its own Guard in state emergency situations."

Larry Gibson
    I missed the 'considered'. Reread said case and the US Constitution about training the militia.

Boolit Master
    I am also a little tired of the money raising gimmicks of the the NRA. However, the reason the liberal left fears the NRA, is the same as the reason that the press continually say's "The NRA caused this", and "the congress couldn't pass this because of NRA's big money influence".
    It's not because they believe the NRA is really some individual giant money influence on politics as their media portrays us. After all George Soros could buy and sell us, but he can only cast one vote. It's because they are not morons, and they can do simple arithmetic. Anyone can take the money reported as spent by the NRA and divide it by $35 to get the number of active supporting voters. That is the number the politicians are forced to consider. WE VOTE, and WE PROVE OUR INTENT WITH OUR OWN MONEY. THEY KNOW IN ADVANCE HOW WE WILL VOTE. That is why the NRA has clout. Plain and simple we are the largest truly grass roots political organization in the world today. $35 a head to express a truly held, simple opinion gives us gravitas that every other political organization can only dream about. It can, and has, outweighed the entire liberal media establishment, no matter what they say on TV. At this point Politicians know this is true in their souls. In my opinion, missing out on the chance to be part of this is just plain foolish.
    Last edited by BD; 09-01-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    I am also a little tired of the money raising gimmicks of the the NRA. However, the reason the liberal left fears the NRA, is the same as the reason that the press continually say's "The NRA caused this", and "the congress couldn't pass this because of NRA's big money influence".
    It's not because they believe the NRA is really some individual giant money influence on politics as their media portrays us. After all George Soros could buy and sell us, but he can only cast one vote. It's because they are not morons, and they can do simple arithmetic. Anyone can take the money reported as spent by the NRA and divide it by $35 to get the number of active supporting voters. That is the number the politicians are forced to consider. WE VOTE, and WE PROVE OUR INTENT WITH OUR OWN MONEY. THEY KNOW IN ADVANCE HOW WE WILL VOTE. That is why the NRA has clout. Plain and simple we are the largest truly grass roots political organization in the world today. $35 a head to express a truly held, simple opinion gives us gravitas that every other political organization can only dream about. It can, and has, outweighed the entire liberal media establishment, no matter what they say on TV. At this point Politicians know this is true in their souls. In my opinion, missing out on the chance to be part of this is just plain foolish.
    Superb post BD. Very well said.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Odd that some will waste so much time and energy arguing and fighting with the ones that are supporting the good of the cause, but can't muster the gumption/funds to take the fight to the people that are trying to steal their liberties...

Boolit Master

Of course I don't belong to every RKBA or 2nd Amendment group, but the ones I do or have belonged to all ask for a little more money than than the basic dues to be a member.

The only thing that bugs me about any of them asking for more money, is me not having a big enough budget for such things to give more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by butch2570 View Post
    Odd that some will waste so much time and energy arguing and fighting with the ones that are supporting the good of the cause, but can't muster the gumption/funds to take the fight to the people that are trying to steal their liberties...
    People choose their own path, but pushing, shoving only results in a push back. The foundation of liberty is free choice, and responsibility, not a mob telling others how to do it. This is one of the reason people are put off by the NRA.

Boolit Grand Master

NRA poll

The NRA isn't a mob. It's your fellow gun owner. People complain about being asked for money all the time. Did you call or change your preferences online? You can opt out of most of it. I think I get a discrete letter once a quarter asking for a contribution. Easy to ignore if I don't have the funds. I get the same type of solicitations from the local fire company and ambulance core. Both of which are volunteer. I have the ear of the fire company treasurer since he's my father. He refuses to take me off the mailing list :laugh:

In Remembrance
    Anyone can take the money reported as spent by the NRA and divide it by $35 to get the number of active supporting voters. That is the number the politicians are forced to consider.
    And, THAT is why the simple (and cheap) act of joining up and paying dues is so effective.

You can pay your piddlin' $35 and ignore all of the other offers, come-ons, and funding drives ... if that's all you care to contribute.
    Your individual 'boost' to the membership number is the key to NRA influence, and success.

You can whine about them asking for money ... while you refuse to donate.
    You can refuse to join ... because they don't do the things you want done.
    And, as a non-member you can bad mouth the organization ... while bragging about how you have stayed out.

But, if the NRA can't reach an objective because of a shortage of funds, or if they lose clout in Washington because of a dip in membership ... and if your badmouthing helps cause the lack of funds and member losses, you aren't worth the time of any of us when it comes to having questions answered or any of the other forms of fellowship found here.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

The mention of $35/yr brings up a good point for me. I bought into a life membership when they had a special before the last election. I've decided it is a good plan to send at least $35 a year to ILA. Maybe I can also talk some friends into joining. Most of all, I hope that even those who complain about the NRA will at least go vote when the time comes. While the presidential election next year is important, local elections are important too.

I'm not going to jump on the wagon that is tearing thru this thread since others can express it much better than I can.
    John
    W.TN

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    People choose their own path, but pushing, shoving only results in a push back. The foundation of liberty is free choice, and responsibility, not a mob telling others how to do it. This is one of the reason people are put off by the NRA.
    So I have to ask if the law of the land says ,everyone has the right to do what,when, where ,who so long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else's right to the same and is not morally repugnant.
    The problem is that people just can't live with that idea as a whole . So this 1 says you can't marry a 16 yo girl even though you're only 17 and have your own 20 acres and 10 cows and been making your own way for 3 yr . Circa 1800 . Next thing ya know we have we have 5000 laws basically defining our morality and what everyone, when ,what ,where and who means now in the name of compromise we have push and shove. A few think that none should have or do some particular thing and here we are . It feels like we need to push back with about a dozen D 12 Cats .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Everyone has the “right” to not defend their liberties, however, they should not be surprised when others that don't share your views takes your "liberties" away. No person or organization is perfect the NRA included. If you are contributing to other pro-gun organizations great. If not you are more of a problem than the anti-gunners. At least they are honest with their intentions.

Vendor Sponsor

I did a little political work for a group I was involved with. In Political circles, perceived number of actual followers is computed at 5:1. IE if you have 1 person who voices an opinion the politico sees 5.

So if you show up with a petition with 100,000 signatures on it the politico sees a Half Million which is a significant voting block and is thus their opinion is carefully considered.

The NRA has 5 million current members and that equates to 25 million votes.

The NRA is the second biggest lobby in Washington DC behind the "Friends of Israel" and ahead of the Insurance Lobby.

Being second place does have it's perks.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Everyone has the “right” to not defend their liberties, however, they should not be surprised when others that don't share your views takes your "liberties" away. No person or organization is perfect the NRA included. If you are contributing to other pro-gun organizations great. If not you are more of a problem than the anti-gunners. At least they are honest with their intentions.
    Really, a law abiding citizen who owns, and carries guns that goes about their life is more of a problem than anti's. Amazing, just amazing! Is it any wonder more, and more people turn away from organizations with people who insult them unless they do as they say. Pretty much the same agenda as Mommies Demand Attention.

The only person a person can control is the person they look at in the mirror. If as much energy was used to bully politicians, as used to bully law abiding citizens we would have much less of a problem.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have attended NRA functions, never saw a mob at one.

The last real mob I saw and was in was when stationed in Washington DC during the 1960's with the peace marchers heckling me and spitting at me & calling me vile names and accusing me me of being a baby killer among other things as I walk into work at the Pentagon. That sir was a mob.

The NRA asking for funds to help the very sport we all enjoy, for little more than a tank of gas fill up, or a dinner with your wife, or worse a carton of cigs, which likely will give you a slow and painful death for Gods sake not a mob.

Furthermore if it offends you so much with all the mailings which many seem unable to handle to throw away, is it REALLY that hard to dial the 800 number on the back of your membership card and sat to be removed from the mailing list? REALLY NOW, IS IT THAT DIFFUCULT??
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Really, a law abiding citizen who owns, and carries guns that goes about their life is more of a problem than anti's. Amazing, just amazing! Is it any wonder more, and more people turn away from organizations with people who insult them unless they do as they say. Pretty much the same agenda as Mommies Demand Attention.

The only person a person can control is the person they look at in the mirror. If as much energy was used to bully politicians, as used to bully law abiding citizens we would have much less of a problem.
    You must be pretty thin skinned if you consider the NRA to be bullying, that in itself is a laughing matter.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master

And what good are "gun owners" that do nothing to support the rapidly eroding "right" to own firearms. The anti's will never stop until they have a 100% ban. If you are not helping to defend your "right" you are part of the problem. No different than the "good Muslims" that do nothing to stop the extremist Muslims.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    You must be pretty thin skinned if you consider the NRA to be bullying, that in itself is a laughing matter.
    Hell, it is right here in the posts, insulting law abiding citizen gun owners who for one reason or another go about their business are called worse than anti gun. That is not thin skinned, I couldn't care less, but don't whine about the bad PR, that is thin skinned. The biggest problem NRA has is a small amount of pushy members who run around insulting people. They use the same tactics that the Brady bunch uses, and it turns off people just the same.

You want to further the NRA, then stop acting like children, and treat law abiding citizens with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    And what good are "gun owners" that do nothing to support the rapidly eroding "right" to own firearms. The anti's will never stop until they have a 100% ban. If you are not helping to defend your "right" you are part of the problem. No different than the "good Muslims" that do nothing to stop the extremist Muslims.
    BS, law abiding gun owners further the cause. They do not have to jump on your band wagon, many do not have the time or funds. It is downright insulting to expect a single mother working 2 to 3 jobs to spend her money, and time for people with no respect for her.