Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case lube

case lube

hi all, I have a question about case lube. I am using one shot spray lube because it is easy and does not kill the powder or primers. after spraying out doors the instructions say allow to dry a few minutes then start to reload. it smells like poison to me. am I poisoning myself with this stuff?

Banned

look up the SDS [used to be msds] it should give you a clue as to what is in it.
    i'll stick to my lanolin and castor oil/neets foot oil home made stuff.

Everything can be a poison ,even water ( pure ) ,I'm one of a few whom loves one shot so I may be a bit biased ( in the interest of disclosure ) the fumes deplete oxygen ( or if you prefer displaces ) the biggest worry however would be the umm lube dust, ( even more disclosures lolz ) I made wood trays,used them for years ,the build up ( that I've sanded off at least 3 times in their history ) seems like there are small flakes in the waxy layers,mica or such I'm assuming , this and in use with the aerosol propellant seems the only minor causes for concern , you did it outside so I doubt you've poisoned yourself ( you wasn't concentrating and massive inhaling it was you ? Then I'd be worried ) the pump spray bottle is another story.... with less umm fear factors
    As stated I love the stuff ,it's not the end all but ...it does have it's uses .it's worst crimes seems to be in improper uses ,usually way too much or not enough followed by not letting it dry first
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    gkdraw44 ... give Bag Balm a try. The cows love it and so will your fingers lubing cases
    0.3% Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate in a Petrolatum- Lanolin Base
    A slight finger swipe is all that is needed to FL size and re-form cases
    It's at your drug store
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tin-bag-balm-B105.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	146206
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    maybe I just like things too squeeky clean, but I use the waterbase rcbs case lube. then I wash with boiling hot water with dawn dish liquid. blow out the water with an air compressor to dry..... 24 hrs later..... lock and reload.

Boolit Master

Similar to R5R, some Lanolin mixed with 95% isopropyl alcohol in a flower spray bottle. Toss 40-50 cases on an old towel, spray lightly, roll around on the towel with my hand and size. Works great!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I've heard that wire & cable pulling lubricant works as a case lube, but I haven't tried it yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I've heard that wire & cable pulling lubricant works as a case lube, but I haven't tried it yet.
    That stuff is really slick. But it gets everywhere. I hate when I have to use it for it's intended purpose. Don't want it near my dies. I use Mink Oil. Cheap and available everywhere.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 bath towels one treated / imprgnated with Imperial sizing die wax the other lanolin. I simply pour the cases on one add the right lube and roll cases in the towel by gripping each end in ech hand ad raising and lowering them for a few minutes. After the towels are impregnated it takes very little lube or time to lubs 1500-2000 cases. I have used wire pulling lube in the past and industrial swaging lubes. both are similar to the lee water based sizing die wax.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had more stuck cases with the Hornady one shot using the one and only can I'll ever buy than using lanolin and alcohol based lubes ever. The lanolin and alcohol needs to be knocked off in the tumbler when done, but that allows me one more inspection before loading.

Osteodoc08, I remove the lanolin from the loaded cases by placing them on a towel, give them two very light mists of mineral spirits then rub with a second towel. It only takes seconds, removes all the residual lanolin and keeps cases from tarnishing. I've been using the alcohol/lanolin mix for the past five years and will never buy any other factory lube again.

do the lanolin mixes need to be inside the case neck (223 or other bottle necks)?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I mixed some with isopropyl alcohol and put it in an I Can't Believe It's Not Butter pump sprayer. It's not quite as good as the Lee wax lube done the same way because it's a little stickier, but it still works just fine. It's not as sticky as a lanolin lube.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by qkdraw44 View Post
    do the lanolin mixes need to be inside the case neck (223 or other bottle necks)?
    one should always make sure that the inside of the neck is lubed when running anexpander thru it , a lot of case growth comes from this process ( the pulling it back out ) it's also ( in my humble opinion ) one of the most critical to remove before loading ( the outside of the case being cleaned goes without saying ) i may clean before i size but always after sizing , full length that is - neck sizing ,depending upon die choice,is a critter of another color
    a polished expander also helps ( as can a carbide expander button )
    citric acid does wonders in removing the various lubes
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by qkdraw44 View Post
    hi all, I have a question about case lube. I am using one shot spray lube because it is easy and does not kill the powder or primers. after spraying out doors the instructions say allow to dry a few minutes then start to reload. it smells like poison to me. am I poisoning myself with this stuff?
    I can't answer your question...and to complicate it more, is that some people are more sensitive to some chemicals that other people.
    BUT,
    I have used hornady One Shot for "all" my rifle brass FL sizing needs for about a decade. I have "stuck" some cases when FL sizing 556 crimped primer cases...BUT, not since I started depriming those crimped primers before the FL size operation...I get a better "feel" when FL sizing without the primer, so on the off chance I didn't have enough lube on a case, I am able to "stop" and remove the case, before it's stuck.

I'll gladly deal with One Shot's ocassional "lite" lube issue, as the trade off is, that it's sooo easy to clean up.

The Smell doesn't bother me ...and my reloading room is a small upstairs bedroom, but I'm sure it'd bother some people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by altheating View Post
    Osteodoc08, I remove the lanolin from the loaded cases by placing them on a towel, give them two very light mists of mineral spirits then rub with a second towel. It only takes seconds, removes all the residual lanolin and keeps cases from tarnishing. I've been using the alcohol/lanolin mix for the past five years and will never buy any other factory lube again.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give that a shot next time.

bhn22
    Sometimes it's not the product that can kill you, but the propellant. Many propellants are flammable these days. This could apply to the spray products you use in the kitchen as well. You need to check everything out before bringing it into your home. You never know.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I did at one time make my own lanolin and alcohol case lube but it required L clean the cases after sizing. I purchased a can of Hornaday One Shot and will never use another case lube. I did on my first attempts of using this product put too little on a case and had to knock it out of my sizing die. I sprayed the next ones with more product and they sized very easy. With my 44wcf cases it's so easy I feel like I'm using a carbide die. One Shot For My Vote. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    gkdraw44 ... give Bag Balm a try. The cows love it and so will your fingers lubing cases
    0.3% Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate in a Petrolatum- Lanolin Base
    A slight finger swipe is all that is needed to FL size and re-form cases
    It's at your drug store
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tin-bag-balm-B105.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	146206
    And Bag Balm smells nice too.
    Gary

One more for Lanolin mixed with 95% isopropyl alcohol and pour on a towel, them rub. Good stuff!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona