RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever guns take a backseat to nothing

Banned

Lever guns take a backseat to nothing

I have owned many and most would do as good as a bolt gun. Many times better.
    What an amazing gun! To see the love of them here can't be described.
    i appreciate all of you that hold them dear.

Boolit Man
    They are true pieces of Americana, an American invention and tradition. Gotta love'em!!!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I tell the "whiz bang" kids, if a lever won't work for you, you don't need a better gun you need to be a better hunter.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

You don't know fun until you know something like:

Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master

The levergun started to fall from favor after returning solders from WW1 found that the 30-06 could shoot a little further and hit harder the old 30-30.

After WW2 the of the lever gun was on a serious down cline. TV and TV westerns helped to re-spark interest in lever action rifles, but the bolt action and semi auto rifle is and will forever be the mainstay of the shooting public.

Is the lever gun out dated or obsolete?
    No, but those in the know, know that the lever action rifles are still a great gun for the skilled and true hunter who will take the time and effort to really "hunt" instead of making 1/4 mile shots with guns such as a 300 magnum.

Off the soapbox.
    Last edited by Hickory; 06-08-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

They became my favorite after shooting a Marlin 45-70. I had the biggest grin from ear to ear. Hooked ever since.

Boolit Master
    I love my levers, got four Marlins, 30-30, 32 WS, 38/357, 44 mag. I think the 44 is my favorite.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

I honestly don't know how many I own at this point. I went on a binge and bought a bunch of 99s and 336s last year. There's nothing like holding the round receiver of a 99 in your hand while taking a stroll in the woods.

But I have a new go to rifle after last year, even though I didn't take any game w/ it. It's a presafety Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that I bought from a member here. It's now fitted w/ a Skinner sight, brass front blade and Merit aperture. It's IMO the epitome of what a PA hunter should use. 50 yards is a long shot where I like to go. Which is always the thickest part of the woods were the lazy hunters don't venture. Doesn't matter if I bring home a deer. Because it's always an adventure getting into and out of those areas.

Tim did an outstanding job restoring this 99 for me. Started like as a 99E in 308. It now sports a JES 358 Winchester rebore. Turnbull worked their magic on the lever. And Tim lovingly fitted a NOS stock from a later model 99. I'm saving it's first hunting venture for when my son is old enough to go w/ me. He just turned one so it's going to be a little bit.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have several in different cal's and love shooting 'em all. Far more fun than my bolt action rifles!!!

And you can keep all your semi-automatic pistoles, too. Can't beat my favorite revolvers for fun and accuracy.

banger

Boolit Master
    I never had a opinion on levers one way or other, until I read an article on simple, household, defense guns.
    That article mentioned the lever gun as a home defense tool. Think about it, as the article described:
    short, lightweight, carbine, powerful enough, 12 rounds of .44mag in a rapid fire mode.
    Simple enough the wife could use it!!!
    I'm sold.
    Geez, a dozen rounds of 44mag???? Thats some tough firepower.

Boolit Buddy

Looks just like mine, and I agree with the fun part. Mine also has a Skinner Sight ....

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    You don't know fun until you know something like:

Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master
    I have leverguns in the following calibers......22 LR, 25-20, 250 Savage, 30-30, 32-20, 38-55, 44-40, 44 Magnum, and 45-70. I have done away with 25-35 and 33 WCF in recent years. So, YES--I like leverguns.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Generous Donator

My levers are .22, 256 win mag, 30-30, 32 spl, 35 rem, 38/357, 41 mag, 44 mag, and 45/70. My go to hunting rifles.

Banned

Thanks for the great pictures, something about them like a SA revolver.
    That 99 is CRAZY gorgeous.

Boolit Grand Master

This is how it started.

I've posted these before but this is my hunting partner I talked about above.

And this is the latest 99

Yes, that's the original hang tag. Yes, it's chambered in 375 Winchester. Yes, it's for sale. Just bring your checkbook and make me an offer. I really have no use for it and w/ it being new and unfired I'm not going to kill it's value. I will let someone else do that.

I hunted for a few years w/ this 1894C

Nice shootin' irons, folks !

The most accurate levergun I ever shot (including BLR's) is a peep-sighted 1955 Marlin 39a .22LR, which will put 5 shots @ 50yds into a group that could be covered/hidden by a US dime coin, anytime I do my part (hand-held - no benchrest).

I think mine just sort of crept up on me. I bought a Browning BLR in .308 because I needed a lightweight woods gun. An original '73 in .38-40 just sort of fell into my lap when a friend's uncle retired to FL and practically gave it to me. When I moved to a state that finally allowed rifles for hunting, straight walled pistol calibers only, a Rossi 92 in .357 was the obvious choice.

So 3 lever actions for a guy who was never that into them. Hmm, guess I am now, love every one of them. ;>)

Boolit Buddy
    I have a model 92 converted to 357 mag and a vintage marlin flat top 35 rem , they are my fun Guns grandkids love plinking time with them .TKS KEN

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This is how it started.

I've posted these before but this is my hunting partner I talked about above.

And this is the latest 99

Yes, that's the original hang tag. Yes, it's chambered in 375 Winchester. Yes, it's for sale. Just bring your checkbook and make me an offer. I really have no use for it and w/ it being new and unfired I'm not going to kill it's value. I will let someone else do that.

I hunted for a few years w/ this 1894C
    What are you asking for the .375 Savage?

Banned

I am closer and also interested. I can drive there faster!