Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Making lube simple?

Boolit Buddy

Making lube simple?

OK, so.....I've gotten lead (a LOT of lead, maybe not in comparison to some here, lol, but when my last find is picked up, I'll have between 600 and 700 lbs on hand of mostly soft/pure lead, with about 80lbs of ww lead for some variety, lol).

I have an old Saeco bottom pour pot a buddy gave me that appears to be in fully functional, proper working order.

I have a Lachmiller Lube/Sizer inbound.

I have a Lee 457405F double cavity mold, which unfortunately is a bullet that is not set up to receive a gas check, but I guess I can live without that.

So....

Where I'm at for this question is....I'm sort of sneaking up on being ready to start pouring boolits. I know a lot of folks appear to be making their own lube, and I am not opposed to doing so. Eventually. For right now, I'd like to sort of put a cap on the complexity I'm working with at this point and not add to it any further, lol. I have enough to chew on for a bit as I start trying to actually pour decent boolits.

What's a good "off the shelf" lube to use for these boolits? They'll be shot in a 45-70 (Marlin), probably won't push them super hard, thinking that anything north of 1300fps should be adequate, more speed is ok if it doesn't come at the cost of leading a barrel or loss of accuracy. I'll need lube that'll work with the Lube-A-Matic I have coming.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I like the white label lube from here. There are many other members here who sell great lube as well.
    http://www.lsstuff.com/
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold

I have been using Canauba Red from White Label (link in previous reply) in my Marlin 45-70. I'm shooting 405 grain plain base boolits from 20:1 alloy, sized .460 at about 1400 fps, with no leading and good accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Perfect! Great info, as that's about what I'm looking to do right there.

Thank you!

Boolit Grand Master
    I make my own lube...BUT.... if you consider your time worth anything, and the cost of the gas to drive around and collect all the lube components, you'll end up much better off just to order from Lar's at White Label or RandyRat or some of the others on here that sell lube.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 04-17-2015 at 12:54 PM.

WL BAC w/o a heater. WL Cr with a heater. RandyRat here also has a line of good lubes at a fair price. Your 45-70 isn't going to tax your lube.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

From what I understand, the NRA 50/50 formulation will work great in .45-70. Caveat though, I don't own a .45-70 (yet, I want to change that eventually).
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Le Loup Solitaire
    I once stocked up big on the NRA 50/50 formula and have always used it for everything. It has always done a good job in all 17 calibers that I reload. It can be a little soft in warmer summer temperatures, but does not run...at least never has for me. I have also used beeswax and vaseline successfully, but that can require closer attention in warmer weather as it will run. There are also many fine lubes now available that did not exist back in the day. LLS

Boolit Master

Truth be told, the NRA 50/50 works well in just about everything, everything.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
    I have been using Canauba Red from White Label (link in previous reply) in my Marlin 45-70. I'm shooting 405 grain plain base boolits from 20:1 alloy, sized .460 at about 1400 fps, with no leading and good accuracy.

Note the sizing of the above post. I have been loading for a marlin 45-70 with the MG barrel and as thoroughly discussed here in many many posts, sizing to the 460 range is critical to prevent leading. Sized at .458 or so, the lee 405F bullets resulted in minor leading in my barrel, which cleaned up immediately when I lapped out the mold to drop at .460, regardless of lube choice.

Banned

on a recommendation from nobade ... GATO FEO ("ugly cat") lube!

i use it for .45-70, .40-65 and even .45acp.

simple, easy, extremely effective for both smokeless and bp.

by weight ...

• 1 part mutton tallow (from dixie gun works)
    • 1 part paraffin candle wax (gulf brand, sold in lotsa places)
    • 1/2 part pure beeswax (lotsa sources)

i mix up about 2-1/2 pounds at a time and double boil blend it all together. put all the goodies in large pot or jar, and that goes into larger cooking pot with water about 1/2 way up the smaller pot/jar. place on stove or other heat source. no muss, no fuss, no stink - actually smells good, too! once all three ingredients are blended, pour it out or suck it out with a turkey baster into paper cups.

i just pan lubed 100 .45acp bullets and dip lubed 50 .40-65 match bullets.

enjoy!