Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loud Mouse Fart Loads with 3 gr of reddot still to loud

As others have stated go with a heavier bullet . I played around some with these low vel./ low noise loads best for me in a 24 inch barrel in 30-06 was 2.5 gr bullseye and a 185 gr bullet very low noise . At 2 gr bullet stuck in the barrel about 3 inch from the muzzle.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    A 30-06 does not have enough bore volume to use even one grain of Red Dot, and keep muzzle pressure below one atmosphere above ambient [threshold of super sonic gas escapement]

To be BB gun quiet with a 30-06, you need the case filled with metal with only a flash hole tube going from the primer to the case mouth. A soft Lead ball on top of 1/2 gr Red Dot and you can have the high peak pressure and high expansion ratio to get 400 fps and BB gun sound.

It is not easy.

It is always much easier to use CB shorts in 22 rifle and go for the brain shot.

Boolit Buddy
    In a 303 savage 99 i use 5 grs red dot with a 150 plain base rcbs boolits about 950-1000 fps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The key to mouse fart loads is a heavy for caliber bullet, the 165 is an average for caliber boolit. I would look for 185 gr+ for quit loads.
    Right there is the ticket for low noise loads. By using a heavy bullet one assures ALL of the powder is burnt in the barrel and the velocity will be subsonic. I use 1.7 grains of Bullseye in a 32-20 like cartridge with 150 grain bullet out of a 20" barrel for very quiet loads.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    It is the total energy delivered to the bullet that determines velocity, and I can't imaging that 3gr.of anything (with a large powder space reducing peak pressure) would be supersonic.

The report is determined by the pressure as the bullet leaves the muzzle. With a fast powder that may have fallen quite low, but a small amount of the slow powder used in conventional loads may still be producing copious amounts of gas. I would avoid heavy bullets for this application. We can assume, at normal velocities, that velocity doesn't affect the rifling twist required to stabilize a bullet. But this breaks down at extremes. I found that the 8x60R Portguese round's 250gr. bullet was stable at 1800ft./sec., but would tumble at 1200.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Primer-only will NOT work! Even with hot melt glue boolits. I tried a 28gn cast HMG boolit with primier only and it got stuck in the barrel. I shoot all my pistols with primer only and HMG with great success.

So...........I put 1.6gn of Titegroup in and added Dacron wadding. Now I was cooking with gas. Fairly quiet and shoots well in an 06. Added a 1/4" steel slingshot ball in the mold and cast more HMG. The weight gives better flight. Took load to 2gn. Still quiet but not silent as you seem to be trying for. Lots of fun to cast and shoot.

I have found those very light loads of powder need a tuff of Dacron to keep the powder back against the primer for full combustion.

I only drill out the flash hole on my 45LC's as I use them in a revolver and if the primers back out, the gun is stuck!

banger-j

Boolit Master

Been loving the low velocity Red Dot and Unique loads found here. Lots of fun in milsurps, i am sure they are or close to subsonic. They are not much louder than a 22. Subsonic and quiet loads are similar but two different loads i think heavy boolits is the key. I found below 5gr i got stringing and different amounts of report. Never went lower in powder wieght since.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Primer-only will NOT work! Even with hot melt glue boolits. I tried a 28gn cast HMG boolit with primier only and it got stuck in the barrel. I shoot all my pistols with primer only and HMG with great success.

banger-j
    That is just what I would have expected. The primer contains high explosive and is very powerful, but much shorter in duration than the burning of any powder. I once experimented with an unloaded case in a revolver and a piece of about .004in. copper sheet in the cylinder gap. Even a small pistol primer domed and ruptured the copper. But for a bullet to proceed down a rifle barrel takes time - much longer than in a revolver, when very light loads or only the primer are used. It is more like the motion of a golfball, hit a single blow before it begins to accelerate, than a conventional bullet. The friction of the pistol barrel may not stop it, but the friction of the rifle will.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Survival Bill View Post
    I wanted to make some subsonic rounds for my 30-06 so I loaded up with 3gr of reddot thinking and reading here that they would be subsonic um no they are not still a good crack to em is the problem the reddot to fast a powder for subsonic rounds what powders and loads have you used that ended up being subsonic I am using a 113 grain boolit I just wanted a subsonic round for rabbit or squirrels or is all I need the primer to do it?
    When you start messing with the extreme ends of velocity, you should get a chronometer. They are cheap these days.
    Keep you out of trouble and help you pick the most consistent loads.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Loads-in-30-06
    If you want mouse fart loads for 06 read the above thread. Larry has a good load, which I use and my 4 and 5 yr old grand kids love shooting it also. Very low noise and light boolits, save on lead, and does a number on rat size animals.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Easy answer, pay to have your barrel threaded. About 60-80 bucks by M60 Joe. Next buy a can pay the $200 dollar stupid as it is tax and get a Suppressor. You will get Hollywood quite with cast lightweights. Or keep beating your head against the wall. I prefer to just keep shooting and paying the stupid tax

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    The noise is when the escapement gas from behind the bullet transcends from supersonic gas to sub sonic gas and propagates a wave of amplitude 2 Atmospheres and trough 0A [threshold of cavitation].
    A 24" 22 rimfire barrel has enough bore volume to keep 0.45 gr of powder BB gun quiet.
    A 22" 45/70 barrel has enough bore volume to get the following results:

0.6 gr Bullseye .....287 fps........ quiet
    0.7 gr Bullseye .....384 fps........ quiet
    0.8 gr Bullseye .....354 fps........ quiet
    0.9 gr Bullseye .....388 fps........ hollow sound but quiet enough
    1.0 gr Bullseye .....441 fps........ sounds like a loud pellet gun, but
    no blam
    1.1 gr Bullseye .....418 fps........ sounds like a loud pellet gun, but
    no blam
    1.2 gr Bullseye .....536 fps........ sounds like a very loud pellet gun,
    but no blam

These were shot with 1 gr Bullseye, Red Dot works too. As long as the bullet does not hit something hard, the rifle is so quiet, you can shoot his buddies too.

The powder charge makes the noise.
    The trick to high velocity with low noise is to get the efficiency up by getting the peak pressure up and the expansion ratio up.

But if you seat a cast bullet down in the case, compressing the powder against the primer, you will get high velocity and low noise, but lousy accuracy.
    The jump to the lands is too far.
    So we need a filler or a very short cartridge.

The 30-06 has been made with fillers.
    Yes other people besides me figured all this out independently a long time ago.
    But it is a lot of work to make filled 30-06 cases.

But it is a lot of work to make filled 30-06 cases.
    Epoxy works. It's a bit of a mission to get it done but it does work and can be made repeatable.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Hi all, I'm new to cast boolits and am wanting to load some reduced loads in 303Br with CBs for plinking. I've read a lot about 10gr of Unique being a universal load but can't get any here in Australia. ADI powder AP70N is it's equivalent. Has anyone Down Under tried reduced loads with AP70N in 303Br, say 10gr or less behind 180 or 200 gr CBs.
    Asking for advice and opinions. Cheers

So if low case volume and a heavy boolit is the way to go, has anyone tried something like a 30 cal barrel with a short chamber cut to take something like a 32 S&W case in a rifle.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    You know already that 3gr will push the boolit from the barrel. If you wanted to further reduce the charge, I would say load down in .1 or .2 grain increments. Load 3 to 5 cartridges of each charge weight to check for grouping as well as function. If they pattern instead of group they're good for nothing. VERIFY boolit exiting the barrel. Bring a suitable cleaning rod or brass rod to drive the slug from the barrel should one become stuck. The '06 is a rimless case. I've heard that reduced charges in rimless cases need to have the primer flashhole drilled to a larger size. Those cases must be marked to prevent their use in full power loads. This thread has 5 pages of 30-06 mouse fart load information. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...+gallery+loads
    As for drilling out the primer pocket, I read this also. However, I am too afraid that I will get these mixed with regular 30-06 rounds. I tried them with out drilling out the flash hole and saw absolutely no difference. Your mileage may vary...
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Whether a case is rimmed or rimless should not make any difference.