Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taurus/ Rossi q

Banned
    My experience with Taurus handguns seems to be consistent with what I hear from others. There are some good ones and some bad ones and I've owned both. FWIW, I no longer own any Taurus guns. The bad ones got sold/traded because they were bad and the OK ones got sold/traded because I wanted something else.
    The early model Taurus revolvers were almost S&W clones with a few exceptions. Most of those shot OK but had poor triggers. The later ones seemed to be much more inconsistent with some good guns and some really bad guns. I have known people that used Taurus' for years with no problems at all and I've owned Taurus' that I considered using for boat anchors but they weren't heavy enough.

As for Rossi, I had a level action Rossi that was a great rifle. A little rough inside but easily cleaned up. Wish I still had that one. I've never seen a really good Rossi revolver. They go bang but I've never been impressed with their quality.

If we are talking new guns and Ruger is in your price range, that would be my first recommendation. Ruger stands behind their products and they make some good guns. The GP-100 is an outstanding revolver and will last a couple of lifetimes. They are far more accurate that a lot of people will give them credit for. I'm tired of hearing people proclaim that Ruger triggers aren't as good as S&W. That's gun shop BS. The new S&W actions are very good but not what they used to be and the Ruger action can be made to rival S&W with just a little work.

If Taurus is more inline with your budget and we're talking about a new gun, I don't think you can get hurt too bad under their warranty.

I would far prefer to find a good used revolver and spend my money on a good solid used Ruger or S&W.

Banned
    BTW Soldierbilly1 - If you're going to confine your shooting to target work and will be using 38 Special (an EXCELLENT cartridge for that endeavor), I can HIGHLY recommend you seek out a 38 Special instead of a .357 magnum. A lot of people buy .357 magnum revolvers in order to be able to shoot magnum rounds if they want to but then rarely shoot magnum rounds.

If you're never, or almost never, going to shoot magnum rounds; why buy a magnum revolver?

There are few cartridges that will outshine the 38 Special for economic fun at the range. The 38 Special can be very accurate and it is cheap to shoot/reload.
    Don't turn your nose up at a 38 Special revolver because, it's not a magnum. There are some awesome revolvers on the market chambered in 38 Special and that chambering is not a handicap if you're punching holes in paper, ringing steel and bouncing old tin cans around. Furthermore, despite what some gun shop commandos will howl, the 38 Special is actually a decent self defense round.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Rossi 1892 flat outshoots my Marlin Cowboy eats 44 spl and mag. Have a Rossi ss 22 revolver handy with a heavy da pull.
    Wife has a Taurus 85 CIA,also have a couple more.
    I think a lot of people look down on cheaper guns without a lot of reason sometimes. Remember when people looked down on the Savage 110 now look at them, tackdrivers with a much increased price. I also own a bunch of Rugers and hate to say but the 3 guns I've liked the least have all been Rugers a Mini 14 that wouldn't hit a barn, a P85 that I could watch the slide operate, a Redhawk I shot 1 cylinder through. Also had a SBH with a canted front sight that shot POA. With all you make choice take your chance.

Boolit Master
    Another choice would be the EAA Armory 357 mags. A close friend of mine recently bought one for under 270$ at the bx on base on sale and loves it. Seems he shoots that quite a bit, which says alot since he has plenty of Rugers at home. I've shot it and thought it was a nice gun for the $ for SURE.

We have an older Rossi 38spl snub we picked up at the pawn shop a few yrs ago for 160$ and it's been a great little gun with no problems what so ever.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Rack View Post
    I have a Rossi 1892 flat outshoots my Marlin Cowboy eats 44 spl and mag. Have a Rossi ss 22 revolver handy with a heavy da pull.
    Wife has a Taurus 85 CIA,also have a couple more.
    I think a lot of people look down on cheaper guns without a lot of reason sometimes. Remember when people looked down on the Savage 110 now look at them, tackdrivers with a much increased price. I also own a bunch of Rugers and hate to say but the 3 guns I've liked the least have all been Rugers a Mini 14 that wouldn't hit a barn, a P85 that I could watch the slide operate, a Redhawk I shot 1 cylinder through. Also had a SBH with a canted front sight that shot POA. With all you make choice take your chance.
    I agree that price doesn't necessarily dictate quality and I've seen some inexpensive guns that were good values. The Rossi 1892 being an excellent example. Ruger has some good engineering and generally uses good materials but they have their problems too. The Mini 14 was not a shining example of Ruger's engineering skill and every one I've had my hands on would barely shoot "minute of pie plate" at 100 yards. However, I would put the GP-100 up against the S&W L-frames any day and the Service-Six models I've owned were outstanding guns.
    I know people that have old Taurus model 85's that are great guns but I've seen some that sucked as well.
    I'm not bashing Taurus and in fact I'll say they can be a value but the odds of getting a good one don't seem to be as favorable compared to other makes.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have a late model Taurus 82, a K-frame size .38 Special. Awesome gun, appears to be a stronger design than the original. The crane locks to the frame like a Ruger GP-100. Sweet trigger pull and very comfortable grip design. So far the sights are dead on with my reloads. I may just get an 85 to go with it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have owned two Taurus revolvers...one a blued .357Mag Da...horribly inaccurate, split lead out of the cylinder gap. Traded it with some cash on another revolver...a Dan Wesson .375SuperMag. Best gun deal ever...

My other Taurus is a DA 5-shot stainless .44Spl with adjustable sights. Great little revolver...Not going anywhere.

Boolit Grand Master

I owned a model 66 7 shot in 357 mag. It was stainless and had a 6" barrel. There were rough tooling marks here and there but it stood up to my abuses before I knew better. It started to come out if time on one of the cylinders and started to spit lead. It's a working mans gun without a doubt. If you can afford the Ruger, that's what I would buy personally. If it is a stretch, wait a little while longer. If money is burning a hole in your pocket, the Taurus will likely do just fine. Let us know what you decide.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 02-15-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    I hav a Rossi model 971 357 mag , I have had it for a long time and shot factory , handloads, and cast never had a problem with it. Its not going anywhere anytime soon

Boolit Master
    I have had, and still have, several Rossi and Taurus including revolvers, pistols, centerfire and rimfire, lever action, single shot. Never had any problems with any of them. I currently have five of the M94 .22 revolvers. Never any problems and I shoot them as well as my other makes. I did sell the .22 Magnum M94 because its 2 inch barrel hurt my ears more than a four inch .357 S&W J frame.

OTOH we constantly hear of owners who have nothing but complaints about their guns. Ironically it often seems to be the same people over and over. Could it be that they are jinxed?