MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short-fat-bald-ugly

As the OP has probably already figured out that there are those around that don't care for Lee or any bottom pour pots. I've run a lot of lead through a Lee 4-20 bottom pour, I've never had an issue other than the occasional "single drip". I'm not sure why some folks have problems with bottom pours. One of the tricks that I use is to just keep a little tart pan (miniature pie tin) on the pot pedestal to catch any spills, drips etc.

The only time I've ever had a real issue is when I got carried away adjusting the spout when it was glazed over and ran the stem out too far. When the spout got up to temp and opened up things got interesting real fast since I'd actually run the stem right out of its threads trying to adjust it.

do cast bullets need to be resized?

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes.
    CARPE DIEM!.......

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Sometimes.
    guessing its due to the mould?

Quote Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
    guessing its due to the mould?
    It depends on what size the boolits drop at vs what size your gun needs. I've got away many times with loading as cast from lee molds..but they are not all the same. Do a search of how to slug your barrel to determine the size you need.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome!
    All excellent suggestions.
    The two top suggestions that saved me the most frustration and discouragement are:

1: Buy a Tel-Tru thermometer. Alot of bad looking boolits are from various heat problems. Lets you stay consistent. Keeps the boolits looking sharp and the cursing down to a minimum. It will also let us help you a lot more when you post a problem or question.

2: Slug the bore of every firearm you cast for. There is lots of threads on how to do it. When you hit a snag and ask for help, it will almost always be the first question asked of you "what did your bore slug at"? It saves you a lot of money in the sizing dept and lets you grab the right molds. Many many people have chased their tail trying to solve accuracy, leading and bullet seat problems without ever slugging the bore.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Yes to Biil's suggestion.
    I had an easier time getting the RNFP to work when I was first starting than any swc/tc boolit.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I had an easier time getting the RNFP to work when I was first starting than any swc/tc boolit.
    Thinking of buying some SWC & loading them BEFORE I buy the mould, just wish I could buy 10-50 instead of the min of 500

do cast bullets need to be resized?
    I size all of my cast boolits. It makes them perfectly round. The more uniform you can make your boolits the more consistent your patterns become and that makes improving your accuracy easier. I also feel that sized boolits are easer to load.

I'm with everyone else I would start with a two cavity mold. I have been casting a long time and I still use two cavity molds. I not in a race to see how many I can make in a short amount of time. I cast because I enjoy doing it. I too started with a RCBS pot and a ladle. I loved it for years. I still have them. Don't use them anymore, I now have two bottom pours. Lyman and RCBS. Enjoy your new addiction. Keep reading this form everyone is very kind and willing to help. There are a lot of guys that really really know their stuff.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

Thinking of buying some SWC & loading them BEFORE I buy the mould, just wish I could buy 10-50 instead of the min of 500
    There is a boolit exchange portion of the site down in shopping and selling. I would suggest you post your desires for a few (probably no less than 25 each) of several designs before you buy a mold. I'll bet you get what you want.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!