Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Mosin Nagant plinker load development

Boolit Bub

Mosin Nagant plinker load development

Howdy all. Bought some 32 handgun bullets to load up into a 7.62X54R. These are 113gr. .313 gas checked. I'm going to use 2400 and try to get something like 1200fps. I've got some starting data. Eventually hope to duplicate some of the 327 Federal loads. If they will shoot at all I'm going to plunk some small game next week. Anyone have any experience with similar loads?

Instead of 2400 with that light of boolit try 5 gr of bullseye with no filler . These light loads can be surprising accurate .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I'm using 6 grains of Bullseye and the Lee 155 312 SKS boolit and it chronographed 1100 today. Try 5 grains of Bullseye.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive tried several of the pistol powders around the 5 grain range and I like the 2400- 16 grain charge better. Accuracy was about the same with both, but the 2400 seems more reliable to me.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Boolit Master
    I did #0 Buck Shot balls in the .303 and the 7.62x54 with Unique, but that was years ago and I cant remember what powder charge that I used.
    It ws like a gallery load and worked great on gophers and rabbits

Boolit Bub
    Thanks so much for the replies. I'm def going to load up some 5gr bullseye now, as I have both powders.

Boolit Master

Light load for 7.62x54R

Attachment 128036

Lee 311-93-1R as cast (.313) lubed with LLA over a .5 cc scoop (4.5gr) of B'eye.

Attachment 128037

Distance to target 25 yds. The load is easy to put together and a joy to shoot.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    I tried sizing buckshot (don't remember which one think it was 00) and shooting over a light charge of unique and after 3 rounds, that shot to the point of aim at 30 yds, there was massive leading in my M39. I won't be doing that again.

Theory: pure lead plus no lube=leading.
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 01-22-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add theory

Boolit Master
    thumbs up

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Instead of 2400 with that light of boolit try 5 gr of bullseye with no filler . These light loads can be surprising accurate .
    Yes this. ^^^^^^^ I even use Bullseye for my 160gr cast sub-sonic load.

Of course care has to takin when using very small amounts of powder so you don't double charge your case. This would be real bad if using for example a 16gr charge of Unique.

That being said, I don't think 10gr or in my case 12gr of Bullseye (a double charge) would cause a kaboom in a 7.62x54R with a cast boolit. Just throwing that out there.

Motor

Boolit Master
    Red dot is also a good choice for "Gallery " loads . Ed Harris has some loads for military Google it/ I use 4.5 g Red Dot with a 200 g bullet in 7.62 x 39mm 1000fps

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Drphilwv ,
    What other powders you got? I'm using 700x (5gns.)w/115grn. flat base

Boolit Master
    I received my .32 caliber chamber inserts for my MN as well as one for the .303 and .30-06 Friday.
    I already have one for the .308.
    But you guys have me thinking, and I am going to start loading the .312 Lee 100 gr RN boolits that I Powdercoated in some of my rifles also.
    In my old Speer Manual # 11 , it does have loads for the 100 gr " J " boolit that I use to shoot for plinking, and one of the loads is a Reduced Load using SR 4759 at 15.0 to 19.0 for the .308 and 16.0 to 20.0 for the .30-06, 30-40 and .303 with velocities of 1500 to 1900 FPS in all loads
    I might try these or similar loads with the coated cast boolits in all of the calibers like the 7.62x54, .303 as well as the .308 and -06
    If I ever can get to the range, I will keep you posted on the results.

I am also going to load the .32 S&W, .32 ACP , .32 Long and .32 H&R mag with these Coated boolits for use in the chamber inserts using standard pistol loads.
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-26-2015 at 01:02 AM.

Boolit Master
    Been using 5-6 grains of Bullseye pushing a 100 grain .313 cast bullet for all my 30 and 303 calibers out to about 50 yds. Greendot works well also in the 6 grain range. Just started to work up a load for my 90/31 Mosen with 5.5 grains of BE working the best. The plinkers are a lot of inexpensive fun, enjoy.

Boolit Master

I have nothing to add that would help at this point you have been given sound wisdom and wise counsel!!!!!!!! Don't forget about unquie.

121 gr GC in front of 14.5 gr of Unique in new Lapua brass was my starting point for developing a plinker load for my Finnish Sky rifle. Around 2.5 inch groups at 50 yards using a 2x scout scope. I am suspicious of powder position, owing to some preliminary tests. Health issues have slowed the development to a crawl.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

If it were me I'd use a tuft of fluffed out Dacron as a powder positioner. At best it will improve accuracy and at worst it will do nothing.

I'm with the school that says to use a small charge that is still way safe when double charged. Murphy's law states that if it can happen it will and it does happen. Actually, the law states that if anything can go wrong it will. And it does! Now it you could get hold of some Trail boss there would be no room for error - literally. Great powder, a little pricey but worth it. I actually use Clays for its bulkiness so I can actually see the charge. Quite and accurate.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-30-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    If it were me I'd use a tuft of fluffed out Dacron as a powder positioner. At best it will improve accuracy and at worst it will do nothing.

In with the school that says to use a small charge that is still way safe when double charged. Murphy's law states that if it can happen it will and it does.
    I actually did a accuracy test with my favorite "plinker" load using 20 rd each with and without a tuft of Dacron a few years back my load was shot with a 03a3 Springfield issue sights , load was 5 grs of bullseye and a lee 155 no gas check all were shot at 200 yards . At that range both showed vertical stringing groups for both were very similar I cant recall the exact group sizes but they both were approx 5" wide x 8" vertical I dicided at that point that with bullseye anyway adding Dacron was a waste of my time . I use this load a lot on a 12 " gong for my 200 yd offhand practice . And as u stated about the double charge issue "if" it does happens 10 grs is still safe in my rifle .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

Guys on youtube tried to destroy a Mosin... compressed load of red dot, nope nothing... forget what finally bent things enough they couldn't get the bolt open. But it never did damage the barrel or blow the bolt out.

Boolit Master
    A mix of unburnt powder from the range.