RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Mauser scope base help

Boolit Buddy

Mauser scope base help

Looking for dual dovetail scope base for this Mauser. I'm no Mauser expert on what bases fit what amuses so I've included pictures. Youll notice no rear sight base so no scout mount possible
    Anyone know where I an find such a mount, I figure a dual dovetail mount will be about as foolproof as a mount can be
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The first place I would look is WWW.Brownells.com
    Once you know exactly what you want I would do a www.Bing.com search for exactly that mount.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

for a double dovetail mount, you may have to buy a gunsmith blank set, and set up the bases yourself. lots of good workable options out there for the 98mauser, that just need a drill and tap job.

Boolit Master

If the barrel is still in military configuration a standard K 98 rear sight base should fit. Then a scout scope mount should fit.

Boolit Master
    You need a Weaver #46 front, and a #45 for the rear.
    But B Square #15010 makes a good Inexpensive single piece base that takes standard Weaver Rings.
    But if that is your rifle, what are you going to do about the Bolt Handle.
    You can not use an over the receiver scope with a straight handle bolt.
    You might also want to go with a Low Scope Safety also.
    The Pictures depict a 1945 Brunn Gunwerke standard issue K98 Large Ring Mauser that has been seriously sporterized.

AFAIK, "Dual Dovetail" is a Leupold registered trademark, and Leupold doesn't list a DD mount for a Large Ring Mauser 98.

Leupold does, however, list their Quick-Release base for the FN Mauser (Mauser 98) - two studs are just as trouble-free as two dovetails.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...nting-systems/

Their QR rings fit any QR base(s).

Boolit Grand Master

Since you are asking about the bases I assume you have not done any gunsmithing work. To put bases on the receiver will entail drilling and tapping either 3 or 4 holes depending on the base. The front receiver front hole has to be drilled shallow so you don't drill into the chamber. The rear receiver bridge may have to have the clip guide hump filed off depending on the base. Then the bolt handle will either have to be forged or cut and welded to a configuration of a commercial rifle so the bolt will open without the handle hitting the scope. A low scope safety will have to be fitted to the bolt also.
    The other option is to have and original rear sight base soldered back on and use a scout scope, which is a base that goes on the rear sight base and then a pistol scope is mounted on it. This eleminates drilling the receiver and bending the bolt handle.
    There are a couple of other bases that clamp on to the outside of the receiver and look kinda funky. Look on e-bay for these.

Boolit Buddy
    xssights.com offers a sleeve type mount that fits where the old rear sight used to be. It will work fine with your rear-sightless barrel. Click on the Mauser tab and look at what they offer if a scout setup is what you want.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Go here and get the mount you need got mine from them.http://www.thecountryshed.com/s&k_scope_mounts.htm.

Boolit Buddy
    Receiver scope mounts = drill & tap, new bolt handle shape and a new safety.

A "scout" system without the original military sight w. soldered ring can be set up using the EGW base for Contenders and several others.

Here is mine that I had fabricated from a blank bottomed rail from Brownells. The underside is machined to fit the barrel contour. Four holes, drilled and tapped in barrel and mount. I used 8-40 torx screws.

Jeff
    http://oi62.tinypic.com/2vvt6o0.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2vvt6o0.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	124453
    Last edited by JRR; 12-14-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot photo

Boolit Master

shawn, first thing you need to do is make a decision on whether you want to retain the sight set up you already have as a back up system. Scopes can get damaged in the field occasionally. If so, it looks like you have a Lyman rear sight and if so it probably will have a button on the front of the rear sight that will allow you to quick detach and replace the rear sight elevator to use a scope. If so, you have a real set up already started. If you want to keep the sight option, then you have several options. The weaver 2 piece bases #'s 45 & 46 will fit. But they are aluminum. A better option are the S45 & S46, which are steel. These are fairly in-expensive and you can spend money on rings, the good ones. Warne and Leupold both make nice quick detachable rings that will make for an excellent set up. If you don't really care about keeping the iron sight set up, then I will recommend these: Leupold lightweight scope mount set # 874-000-037AK (in Brownell's catalog) at around $48.00. These have rings and bases as a complete unit and are very solid once mounted. Both Redfield and Leupold make bases and rings for the turn in type set up that has some adjustment in the rear bases that allows you to fine tune you scope adjustments. These are excellent also and I have used both with very satisfactory results. Just remember that if you want to retain the rear Lyman sight, stay away from the type of mounts that add much height to the rear sight as that mean you will have to go way up on the height of the front sight to compensate and I for one hate the looks of high front sights. The higher the front sight, the more prone they are to damage in the field also, that's the reason most military rifles have that gruesome looking sight guard on them. You have an excellent looking mauser there to work with. I had a SVW mauser (my son has it now) that was a tack driver. Wish I had another. Just my opinion and yes, I am biased in my opinions as they have been developed over a 65+ years of shooting and hunting. They have worked for me. james

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    You need a Weaver #46 front, and a #45 for the rear.
    But B Square #15010 makes a good Inexpensive single piece base that takes standard Weaver Rings.
    But if that is your rifle, what are you going to do about the Bolt Handle.
    You can not use an over the receiver scope with a straight handle bolt.
    You might also want to go with a Low Scope Safety also.
    The Pictures depict a 1945 Brunn Gunwerke standard issue K98 Large Ring Mauser that has been seriously sporterized.
    Seriously indeed,its also in 8mm-06 Ackley man its a thumper. I dont have any faith that me and even the aperture sight can wring out much of the potential it has.want to put a nikon 1-4 monarch on it and call it a hunting rifle. Yes ill have to have the bolt bent, no big deal there. Since i dont have the backup irons option ill have to have a second cheap scope sighted in pretty close for backup, well back at camp backup thANKS for the help fella's

Boolit Grand Master

You can probably leave the peep sight base on the gun, then if the scope gets damaged just remove it and install the rest of the peep. Make up a little tool kit for your pack so you can do this without leaving the field. There is a rear sight made that goes right on a Weaver style scope base which would be easier to install after removing the scope in the field.

Boolit Master
    I have a few with the standard Leupold mount that has the rear adjustment screws. Fits well after removing clip guide if needed. Centering scope then using mount to center, then fine tune with turret.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    You can probably leave the peep sight base on the gun, then if the scope gets damaged just remove it and install the rest of the peep. Make up a little tool kit for your pack so you can do this without leaving the field. There is a rear sight made that goes right on a Weaver style scope base which would be easier to install after removing the scope in the field.
    That sight base sounds awesome, I will have to look into that

I have a K98 that was "sporterized" many years ago..it's tapped and drilled but the bolt handle was not forged or cut and re welded so unless I went to extra high rings I could not use a scope in the strict sense...so I did the next best thing...I took an Ultradot "Matchdot2" and mounted it on the Weaver 2pc bases on the action...the bolt clears..the sight works perfectly for what I do with the rifle and no bolt work or safety change was needed..simple solution to my issues...hope there might be an idea here
    Last edited by opos; 12-15-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Right On opos.
    But if you look at his pictures, it looks like he has the Standard 98 straight bolt handle, not the K98 turned down handle.
    His will probably work with a scope set up like you have, but even Extra High Rings wont work on a straight bolt without an offset mount.