RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tempted to join the missing

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I'm wondering if in real life he's able to manage his lifestyle so that he only interacts with people who he likes and like him.

I haven't quite figured out how to accomplish that without going to live in an old van down by the river,,,,,,,,,seems like one of the compromises of being a human is having to deal with all sorts. There are a couple of folks here that I would just as soon bury my foot up their backsides, and a few that IMHO need a slap upside the back of the head, but you don't poop on your pop tart just because it's not your favorite flavor,,,,,,,(I will also guarentee there are at least twenty who think I'm a total jag, it's just the law of percentages)

Everyone here goes through an evolution of eventually figuring out that CB is not internet nirvana, it's not perfect, and all its inhabitants are not who we build up the mental images of. Its real people, in real life, just gathered for a common pursuit. And, at the point where reality impinges upon the shiny mental image we have of the forum, each of us has to decide if we are going to stick around and work toward rectifying perceived shortcomings of certain areas of the knowledge base, forum, or member(s). DT has spent too much time in the Pit, the shiny is wearing off and he's approaching that point.

Thats what most of these threads are about.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpoke View Post
    Had a wise older friend give me some advice once in the form of a question after he over heard a conversation I was having with a guy at the feed store.

He asked me " If your arguing with an idiot, what's he doing?"
    [ LIKE ]

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

that van down by the river was probably the funniest thing they ever did on Saturday night live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I'm wondering if in real life he's able to manage his lifestyle so that he only interacts with people who he likes and like him.

I haven't quite figured out how to accomplish that without going to live in an old van down by the river,,,,,,,,,seems like one of the compromises of being a human is having to deal with all sorts. There are a couple of folks here that I would just as soon bury my foot up their backsides, and a few that IMHO need a slap upside the back of the head, but you don't poop on your pop tart just because it's not your favorite flavor,,,,,,,(I will also guarentee there are at least twenty who think I'm a total jag, it's just the law of percentages)

Everyone here goes through an evolution of eventually figuring out that CB is not internet nirvana, it's not perfect, and all its inhabitants are not who we build up the mental images of. Its real people, in real life, just gathered for a common pursuit. And, at the point where reality impinges upon the shiny mental image we have of the forum, each of us has to decide if we are going to stick around and work toward rectifying perceived shortcomings of certain areas of the knowledge base, forum, or member(s). DT has spent too much time in the Pit, the shiny is wearing off and he's approaching that point.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    that van down by the river was probably the funniest thing they ever did on Saturday night live.
    LIB, I just checked youtube, hadn't remembered Farley saying that. I came by it many, many years ago on an antique woodworking tools forum, as in the proclivity for wanting too many toys could result in ending up living in an old van down by the river. Sound familiar?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    There is a back button on the top of my page. For me it is a mental discipline to use it. I learned a long time ago that I cannot change anyone but me. And I have my earned doctorate and 30+ years as a Clinical Psychologist! If I can't the rest of you guys don't have a chance!

An open mind is a wonderful thing and I love pouring into it. A closed mind is a mirror - I only end up seeing what I hate in myself.
    It might just be that I don't understand what you are trying to say but was not the point of your education and practice based on the premise that therapy can change people for the better? I know I can and have changed people and made a positive difference in their lives. You say you can't change people, it seems you picked the wrong vocation. If you don't consider helping people change themselves, you changing them, then we would be arguing semantics.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

It's the old adage "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink." All the advice in the world does no good until the person is willing to accept it and is willing to change themselves.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. - Proverbs 26:4
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Just as a bit of board trivia, fewer than 1% of board members have ever received even one infraction.
    I have one infraction and you get the credit. I also have one warning. I guess I am a serial offender

Not addressing this to waksupi but I can't take the time right now to give you each a personal response.

I know that I have much to learn both about dealing with people and making better ammo. I also know that the only mistake that people who don't do anything will make is just that, they don't do anything. If you never or rarely post or post me too, you will not get any infractions.

I do not consider my irritation with bad behavior or stupidity a flaw. It should make you at least a little mad and sad to see a road side sign shot full of holes.

I used harsh a tone just the other day to scold a guy in the locker room who was just a couple feet away from the suit spin dryer, wringing the water out of his suit on the floor. I apologized for my tone but not for trying to correct him. Sometimes the stupidity is so surprising that I over react.

I am not going to apologize for starting this thread, some of you mentioned the Deja Vu nature of this thread. It is my way of venting, thank you for bearing with my rant.

I posted my last weekend range session over in the NOE forum, it was relevant to the XCB thread that is dead here. I will repost it here but we hardly ever get range reports here, I posted one range report with pictures and I got zero responses, not even a thank you for sharing. Maybe the powder coating guys are putting up range reports, I don't read many of those threads, it is just not something I am following.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post

Probably an accurate assessment on all counts. I do almost totally associate with people I like and who like me both at work and at home. I only went back to work because some people I like needed my help on a project. Trips to the shooting range can be a challenge because, well, there are other people there. Sometimes the Rangemaster is inattentive or just does not really know how to do his job or some of the other shooters do bad stuff, sometimes on purpose and sometimes by accident. I have been tempted to buy a place where I can make my own range but that is not just because of the people. The range is only 100 yards and only open to the public on weekends. As far as the Pit goes, yes I go there a lot. I learn a lot about people and get leads on news stories but I should find an alternative. This will sound conceited but I think without my voice in the Pit certain points of view would be over represented. Of course that would not matter if only those who post there are reading the posts but if a lot of people lurk there some balance and fact checking is needed.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

If I didn't enjoy my time here I wouldn't bother logging in. I've learned to not let folks irritate me, I always figure that's their intent and if I get irritated they win. I don't want to see anyone leave but sometimes we need a break or a change of perspective.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Just as a bit of board trivia, fewer than 1% of board members have ever received even one infraction.
    I am a member of that 1% club. I learned my lesson very quickly. I actually appealed the infraction and after a "hearing" had it rescinded.....but the lesson was learned nonetheless. I have learned to just ignore the keyboard commandos that do nothing but complain.....a skill that I have not regretted learning.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    If I didn't enjoy my time here I wouldn't bother logging in. I've learned to not let folks irritate me, I always figure that's their intent and if I get irritated they win. I don't want to see anyone leave but sometimes we need a break or a change of perspective.
    Same here, I don't take things personally and shrug them off. If someone continually annoys me, I put them on my ignore list. By the same token, if you are abrasive to people you can expect the same in return.

Boolit Master

To start this post off, I have been casting for over 50 years. When I was new to this forum I got a belittling PM from a member because I am fascinated with Louverin boolit moulds. He stated "the science is decided and the only good boolits are nose bore rider designs and all of the other designs are junk" or something similar.
    I was offended, but I kept my mouth firmly shut.
    I was a big time caster for many years before I found this forum. I was the Big Frog of casting. I was the expert everyone went to.
    Then I joined this forum and I found out I was the Big Frog in the Littlest Pond!
    Now that I have established my absolute lack of credentials, I will cover my theory of boolits and then I will explain some of the issues I have with my theories!
    Nose bore riding boolits are awesome when they are a perfect fit for your barrel. Louverin boolits are more tolerant of varying bore diameters. Size boolits to .001" over nominal caliber, i.e. size to .358 in a .357. If that doesn't give the desired results try .002 over and then .000 over, and finally try .001 under. Boolits generally perform better with minimal distortion in the sizing, loading, or chambering process. Try different lubes. That could be it! I prefer heavy for caliber boolits. I mean since I can't push booits to the velocity of bullets I might as well throw a heavier slug to make up for it.
    Now for some of the issues. I have fired 311299 in two Ishapore Enfields (.308/7.62x51) and the boolits were way high at 100 yards. Why? probably too slow and recoil had longer to act. Now I will be trying 311414 to see if I can come closer to M80 ball velocities.
    I have recently been told fast twist barrels may destroy boolits in flight and destroy accuracy when the velocities reach certain velocities. Most of my better rifles are very fast twist! A 1 in 7 twist .223 rifle can frequently destroy a Hornady 75 grain HPBT before it reaches a target at 200 or 300 yards. Why didn't that occur to me with respect to cast boolits? Not a clue here!
    So what am I really saying here? I am saying there are many theories on how to get cast boolits to shoot well and every theory can be proved with one rifle and disproved with another. Some theories work better with some types of rifles. Rifles known for consistent tolerances may well benefit from a nose bore riding mould where rifles known for inconsistent tolerances may well benefit from a Louverin mould design. So, there are many theories. Try them out until you find one that works for your rifle.
    Also remember you may have been a real big frog in your little pond, but now you are in the big pond and there are much bigger frogs around now.
    Never forget to use Wayne's back button. You can type your scalding reply, admire it, refine it, and then consider "should I really send this?" and then hit the back button. You feel better and no one else is offended.

Boolit Grand Master

I received one for swearing. Well it's a word that I don't consider a swear word and it was asterisked out. Lesson learned and I've made sure to not swear here. Real life, different story

Stop spending so much time in the pit. I know I have and I'm better for it. It's the same people saying the same things over and over anyway. After awhile you know what their response is going to be. Becomes rather boring an sad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I received one for swearing. Well it's a word that I don't consider a swear word and it was asterisked out. Lesson learned and I've made sure to not swear here. Real life, different story

Stop spending so much time in the pit. I know I have and I'm better for it. It's the same people saying the same things over and over anyway. After awhile you know what their response is going to be. Becomes rather boring an sad
    ^^^^ I agree. Take breaks from the PIT!!!! The tendency seems to be to forget the rest of the forum is there, and continue highly emotional discussions instead of enjoying the rest of the forum. I was questioning why I would spend so much time with some of the people I was talking to, then realized its the PIT!!!! Took a break from it and remembered why I came to this forum in the first place, and how it has now given me my 2 closest friends and the people I get the most advice from!

And anytime you get to irritated look for a post from LoveLife or Btroj. Generally you'll find quite a few to make you laugh!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love Life
    Just take a break. Your posts are usually well written and make sense. I read what you write as it helps me learn. When I get frustrated, I just take a break and go hang out on another forum for a couple days.

As it stands, this forum is still a cut above the rest in knowledge, testing, and passing on information.

Stick around and slug it out, as I'd hate to see you leave.

Boolit Master

I have said this before and it bears repeating here.

There are two types of people on these boards.

1) People who shoot a lot and cast a lot and who have learned a lot and know that they don't know it all.

2) People who have read a lot and know everything there is to know about everything.

It doesn't take long to assign the members to their correct category.

Then you read the ones you respect and ignore the others.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

... Samuel Langhorne Clemens
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Just take a break. Your posts are usually well written and make sense. I read what you write as it helps me learn. When I get frustrated, I just take a break and go hang out on another forum for a couple days.

As it stands, this forum is still a cut above the rest in knowledge, testing, and passing on information.

Stick around and slug it out, as I'd hate to see you leave.
    I also read and appreciate what you write and I am certain I have learned a few things from you. I am not leaving, I was just venting and thanks to everyone who read this thread and double thanks to all that responded, even the ones that said don't let the door hit you on the way out. The title of the thread is an exaggeration, it is more I had a fleeting thought of leaving and I fanaticized about telling a few people off and what I might say.

I certainly have some more to learn, I have not shot a sub MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards with a cast bullet yet. I came real close last weekend with bullets given to me by a member here. He has a mould and size die that I don't and that combination is better than what I have tried before. After 40 years of casting I still cast a lot of rejects. I have handicapped myself a little bit as I don't like accumulating a lot of stuff and I hate selling or trashing stuff I don't use so it takes me a while to decide to get new moulds and equipment. This forum helps me keep from buying stuff that will collect dust.

Tim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I also read and appreciate what you write and I am certain I have learned a few things from you. I am not leaving, I was just venting and thanks to everyone who read this thread and double thanks to all that responded, even the ones that said don't let the door hit you on the way out. The title of the thread is an exaggeration, it is more I had a fleeting thought of leaving and I fanaticized about telling a few people off and what I might say.

I certainly have some more to learn, I have not shot a sub MOA 5 shot group at 100 yards with a cast bullet yet. I came real close last weekend with bullets given to me by a member here. He has a mould and size die that I don't and that combination is better than what I have tried before. After 40 years of casting I still cast a lot of rejects. I have handicapped myself a little bit as I don't like accumulating a lot of stuff and I hate selling or trashing stuff I don't use so it takes me a while to decide to get new moulds and equipment. This forum helps me keep from buying stuff that will collect dust.

Tim
    Oh GEE! You can't do that?

I do that all the time!

Well occasionally!

Well actually . . . once.

Oh by the way . . . it was actually three shots.

And it only took me 60 years to do it.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    It is worth reading the "Desiderata",Check it out those who do not know it.