MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this from dirt in my lead?

Banned

it's from not getting the carbon back out of the alloy.
    try scraping the whole pot down really well with a metal utensil, you'll see stuff come up to the top.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Expanman View Post
    If you are pushing the sawdust down into the melt, this can cause what you are seeing. Paint sticks can as well. Someone will probably be along shortly to vehemently disagree, but this has been my experience. I still use sawdust, but just stir it around on top rather than submerging it and I use an old stainless spoon to stir with.

I no longer have problems with clogged/dripping spout issues, either.
    My findings exactly!. I already have clean ingots and just melt them in the pot. Scrape the top of your lee pot when the lead is at operating temp.. Do NOT add any flux. Any scum that comes to the top gets left there until more lead is needed. Before adding more lead scrape sides. Every so often run the pot totally empty and clean well...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That "scum" on the top is you TIN oxidizing out. It needs to be reduced back in and the best and cleanest way (not having burnt carp in there like sawdust) is beeswax. A pot surface totally dull and "Scummy" will turn mirror shiny with a pea sized piece of beeswax and a bit of stirring!

Beeswax is far superior to standard wax candles and parafin as it's flash point is much higher and it smells great! Coming up is the time to look for beeswax candles on clearance at Bed Bath and Beyond and other places like that with the Jewish holiday candles going on clearance shortly! Or buy some from randyrat on here! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eswax-for-sale.

Just adding more feed ingots will only make the "scum" worse, from all the casting I have ever done. Gotta get that valuable Sn back in there!

Works LIke Magic!

banger

Boolit Master

Fux & stir , flux & stir !!!

1 aspect of fluxin that has`nt been mentioned is the temp we flux & stir at .
    I find better results of fluxin & stirrin at higher temps , the alloys are more fluid & lets the carbon/dirt/**** float to the top easier, I`ve even had to let the temp settle down before starting to cast with a preheated mold!

I use parrifin at first (hot enuff to make it flash)stirring deeply, then use sawdust to insulate the top.

GP
    GP100man