Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why so much for a 2001 Marlin?

Boolit Master
    Had to show the wife this thread, helping my situation with history of using the term investment purchase. He-He!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Had to show the wife this thread, helping my situation with history of using the term investment purchase. He-He!
    Wish I'd bought a few for trading material, all mine are keepers even though Scopekiller is trying my patience at the moment.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I got the 1894 cowboy 32H&R and the 1894CP out of the safe to see if they looked worth it and they both seemed just the same as when I bought them so I put em back!

Aaron

Vendor Sponsor

I have to inject a little sanity into this discussion. That gun is no more worth $2400 than something that isn't worth $700! I can't believe that someone is so Frigging stupid as to pay that. I don't care if he is the most knowledgeable collector in this country he ain't never going to get his money back let alone make a profit.

Oh,,, they only made a few of these? That's cuz nobody wanted that model! If it was popular they would have made more.

Rule #1 in collectables is that if it wasn't popular when currently available, it won't be popular now. Watch a few car auctions on TV and see what the oddball stuff goes for. Generally, not as much as they'd like!

Marlin rifles from the last 50+ years are "Generic Guns!" You can call them working guns or whatever denoted something you throw in the pickup and use like a tool. Cuz that is what they are meant to be. They were made to compete with Winchesters at the local Hardware Store where you bought your tools, and they did that by being cheaper.

The whole BS line about Marlin Quality prior to Remington's take over is pure BS. I have, and have had many of these guns and the pre Rem quality was just as spotty as the Immediate Post Rem guns,,, many of which were assembled from existing parts inventory. Many of them were also assembled by those "Highly Skilled Marlin Employees" and to use the term "Turds" is actually an insult to Feces every where. Half the time they couldn't even get the barrels screwed on right! That is the most basic of gun assembly procedures there is!

I have seen their work and I gotta say I was not impressed. When I see a barrel that isn't timed right I immediately know that 3 different people didn't care about their work that day. The guy who did it , the guy who inspected it, and the guy who shot it! I don't care how "Seasoned" they were they sucked outright the day mine came thru.

I have guns from 1958 to 2009. The early guns had better exterior finishes, but the interior machine work was pure krap done with tools that needed to be sharpened well before my gun came thru.

My later guns have really good interior machine work but the exterior finish is not as good as the early guns. The middle of the road guns (late 90's) were marginal as well and my M39AS is a perfect example. It took me 16 hours to get that gun so it would function properly and smooth out the insides. The machine work was atrocious, and this was a gun that retails for $679!

I buy these guns specifically to rework and resell. The reason why is they are cheap when used and I can get good money at resale,,, for the most popular models!

These are generic working guns, and to think that there is anything collectable about them is foolish. That's not to say that there aren't collectable Marlins. They just haven't made any for 70+ years. That $2400 gun may be collectable in 50 years but it ain't gonna bring more money any time soon other than from some other fool who thinks he's got something golden. He's also going to have to prove that is was rare. Hope he's got the documentation.

It's like saying you are collecting Toyota Camry's and you got one of the few red ones, so it is collectable.

Nobody gives a ship about Red Camry's!

I saw a completely hot-rodded 57 Chevy Bel Air go across the block at an auction recently. They had a reserve of $30K on the car. Nobody even bid on it. It was a 4 door!

None of this is meant to insult anyone here, and really only directed at the fools who bid on this one.

All of it is also My Not So Humble Opinion!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-02-2014 at 05:59 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Why so much for a 2001 Marlin?

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    It's like saying you are collecting Toyota Camry's and you got one of the few red ones, so it is collectable.

Nobody gives a ship about Red Camry's!
    Caution, thread drift. I agree w/ most of what you said. W/ the exception of what I quoted. Older people don't care about Red Camrys. People my age that grew up hot rodding Japanese and European cars do care. You will see a massive shift in the auctions over the next few decades. The muscle cars won't go away. But it's about buying cars from your childhood. For a lot of the younger people it's a Camry or Civic. It's hard to predict what will become collectible and worth a lot of money. But the trends are fairly easy to track.

I can't agree w/ the Pre '64 Winchester comment. There hasn't been enough time for this to happen to Marlin. Remington has already gotten their act together. Winchester never did so the old ones became more valuable. If Remington produces a higher quality gun then they will become more desirable then the old ones. Don't get me wrong. They aren't making anymore JM stamped rifles so that has it's own value. But it's still early and as more models become available from Remington only the serious collectors will be paying up for JM Marlins. Most will be happy to buy a new one at a reasonable price.

Some folks like vanilla ice cream; and some folks like pistachio - as much as anyone doesn't agree with that fact, you kain't change it !

The same goes, with firearms.

Boolit Grand Master

I have to inject a little sanity into this discussion. That gun is no more worth $2400 than something that isn't worth $700! I can't believe that someone is so Frigging stupid as to pay that. I don't care if he is the most knowledgeable collector in this country he ain't never going to get his money back let alone make a profit.
    -snip-
    Randy
    I'd have to point out that someone else thought it was worth $2,300 plus. I wouldn't bet a dime on him not getting his money back by the time he decides to sell it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Vendor Sponsor

All of it is also My Not So Humble Opinion!
    Toyota Camry's will never be collectable no matter how long you live.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have to inject a little sanity into this discussion. That gun is no more worth $2400 than something that isn't worth $700!
    Oh,,, they only made a few of these? That's cuz nobody wanted that model! If it was popular they would have made more.

Rule #1 in collectables is that if it wasn't popular when currently available, it won't be popular now.
    I can't agree. As just one example, Winchester lever guns in .30-30 were far and away more popular than those turkeys in .219 Zipper. A model 94 in a small caliber high velocity varmint chambering has to be a world record for dumb ideas, and apparently they sold back then like concrete life jackets. But now? Their unpopularity in the day makes them extremely rare, and that rarity makes them WAY more desirable to collectors than a similar condition .30-30 would be. In many cases with firearms, unpopularity when first sold equals future collector demand.

I sympathize with some of your points, but I mostly disagree. JM rifles aren't perfect, but many of them (Most of them?) were at least pretty good, possibly excepting the last few months of production. I always thought the JM rifles were overall better made than model 94s - at least after 1964 - and I still do. There's no denying that many of the Remlins really are nasty - or at least really were - and it's perfectly logical that the market would put a premium on the older JM rifles. As others wrote I expect they will continue to command a premium and continue to be in demand for many, many years. I'll concede that prices strike me as kinda high right now, especially for the rare models and calibers. That's why I ain't buying - but I said that ten years ago too. Wish I had thought differently back then.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy
    If you live long enough, they may be.
    People collect Model T's, and pay silly money for them, but they are still just Fords. But I doubt many reading this thread will be around when that happens.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy
    Ten years ago you could have said the same thing about the Nissan 240SX. Now they command a premium because they are desirable. And the more that are drifted into the walls during Formula D the less available and the greater the value of the remaining ones. Old Corollas, Civics, Accords and even Camrys are more valuable then you think. But this is really off topic and if you aren't part of that car scene you wouldn't understand.

One of the members on Marlin Owners Forum caught this one: 1894 Cowboy Carbine LTD in .41 Mag that was auctioned on 11-27-2014 on Gunbroker.

Are you ready?-- (better sit down)---$5,325.00 (US). I don't have the thread but, zowie, that's a lot of Benjamins.

Kind of reminds me of when the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market.

JX

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Genius!

BTW just picked up a brush-rashed 1894 CS from 1990 with a JM proof for $525 (Haggled down from $550). Yeah, its got a safety but it was reasonable so what the hey. A little longer but so much more "real" feeling than my Winchester .357 AE.

therealhitman,

Sounds reasonable to me. Sad that these things ("JM" 1894Cs) were so ignored when they were so plentiful and now that the factory tap is shut off --well, the market will prevail.

JX
    Last edited by johnny_xring; 12-06-2014 at 03:40 AM.

In Remembrance
    This thread makes that old jm stamped pre safety 45/70, I picked up this week for 350 bucks, look pretty shiny now.

Love Life
    It's all about what you want and are willing to pay. The SAA has been in production forever, and there are a bazillion new clones on the market. However, I still genuine Colt new production SAA revolvers selling for $1,500-$2,000 like it is going out of style.

Same for this. Some people want the real deal, and no copy no matter how well made or authientic will scratch that itch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Same for this. Some people want the real deal, and no copy no matter how well made or authientic will scratch that itch.
    Yup. The only magic in that little stamp is when they fork over a lot more than they should for it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I could have waited to find a great deal on an 1894c. But, its worth 1300 to me. If its not worth that to yall, dont buy one for that. I wouldnt sell it for twice that, because I like it. But I bought a Glock 42 and sold it after a few weeks for 400. I gave 450 plus tax. I could have got 500+, but im not yall, and I dont expect yall to understand. My life is not driven by the desire to get more money.

Boolit Master
    Don't get me wrong; if I paid $350 for mine and you offered me $1300 I'd take it!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    Marlin 1894 FG 41 Magnums are over 3000$ on GB.

Holy cats! I bought one new years ago and I shoot the heck out of it. Too bad I didn't leave it unfired in the box I guess.