RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Questions from the crypt. . . .

Boolit Buddy

Questions from the crypt. . . .

I raided the Crypt of Unfinished Projects this weekend, and came out with a bunch of Springfield parts. Looks like an '03 stock, a scant C stock, a barreled MkI action (but the barrel has been polished and a Williams sight fitted), a Remington action that has seen better days, and a decent barrel from March '44. I suspect they've been sitting there for a decade while I tried to figure out what to do with them--I didn't even recall they were there. Never did find the .22 I was looking for, I think I loaned it to my brother.

Neither action is D&T'd; is it cost effective to return these to military configuration?

Alternately, is there a conveniently-available reasonably-priced synthetic stock for the '03? The MkI might make a nice sporter/rainy-day rifle.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Jim

Boolit Master
    Interesting question. Take a look of the various surplus parts houses and figure out what it would take to bring the '03 back to mil spec. I bought a bubba'd 'A3 sporter and had polished the action and took it to a local smith years ago to see what he would charge to install a new A3 bbl, install lyman rear sight and he supplied the front. All up charges ran about $200. I have all the parts to get back to military condition and except for the fact its been drilled for the lyman rear and redfield front. That and it has been polished and reblued. I hunted through a bunch of gun shows years ago for the stock, bands and all except for the rear A3 sight. But then again the parts were more plentiful and cheaper. So in answer to your question yes it would be possible to restore the '03 back to what it was. Frank

Boolit Master

Your post reminds me that I also have a couple of 03 barreled actions and an 03A3 action, all with bolts sitting out in the garage. Got to do something with them someday.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

coffee,
    ive seen some in poly stocks, so someone makes them for the 03, maybe ATI? I have one in a fajen wood stock. you can find new in wrap military barrels around, a guy at one of the local shows has a couple on his table every show, I don't remember what date they were.

i have a p14 action waiting for me to do something to it also. i was thinking maybe a 22-250 as i have a brandnew takeoff 26" barrel from a sps i used as a donor for a long range project

checked out the net, ramline made one, Midwest shooters had one listed, but its out of stock. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/Item/0009720031

what about a fiberglass one like the drill rifles had? i found old western scrounger had desert sand and OD ones for 49.95 http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index....roducts_id=627 http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index....roducts_id=626

i might grab one to drop my sporter in and save the fajen stock

Boolit Master
    You guys make me jealous sometimes with all the stuff you can fin in the garage or the "crypt" as it were, but alas i am young yet and may soon build up a horde of my own.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The downside of that Remial is getting old and not having ever finished all of the projects in the crypt . You do get the pleasure of fiddling with what you want though . Just don't let someone ever discourage you from a good idea you have when you see good parts at a fair price .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    The downside of that Remial is getting old and not having ever finished all of the projects in the crypt . You do get the pleasure of fiddling with what you want though . Just don't let someone ever discourage you from a good idea you have when you see good parts at a fair price .

Jack
    that i get i have a camaro and a goldwing to finish so the wife dont skin me, but i did end up with 2 m91 finn mosins for 75.00 a pop and i do look for deals on parts and fixer uppers

Boolit Master
    The Ramline stocks aren't too bad, I'd pass on the refurbed GI synthetic stock as they weren't really made for shooting purposes. More for a drill rifle where rough handling would break a wood stock.

If you like the military configuration then go for it. You could have it reparked also. Just make sure that with either one you choose that you can find the parts you need for a price you're willing to pay. Some of the 03 milled stuff is getting up there in cost.

Boolit Master
    I am looking for a good P-14 action to barrel in 7.62x54 R
    The P14 is perfect for it because the action is set up for a Rimmed cartridge already, and has been a long range target rifle since the 80's.
    The first ones built by Col. Umar were barreled with Russian MG barrels turned down and rethreaded.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I am looking for a good P-14 action to barrel in 7.62x54 R
    The P14 is perfect for it because the action is set up for a Rimmed cartridge already, and has been a long range target rifle since the 80's.
    The first ones built by Col. Umar were barreled with Russian MG barrels turned down and rethreaded.
    I have a shortened P14 sitting in a shortened, full dress military stock and chambered for 30-40 krag. It's a nice, "club like" little rifle.......short enough to be handy but heavy enough so that it recoils like a .22.

Where did I get it? Well, we used to party pretty heavy in the shop some years ago and some really interesting creations were the result...............

Boolit Master
    I have a sportered 1917 with a sparkling 21" johnson automatics barrel that I must have bought over 30 years ago. Stripped it down and polished everything and sent it off about a year to get it D&T for scope, bead blasted and blued. No what? still haven't shot it yet. I have a drawer of assorted actions just waiting for me to put barrels on them. Most of the actions I have the mil surp stocks that they came with. Then there is the hit and miss engine I got this summer waiting for me to clean up and get running. Procrastination is killing me. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    My apologies for starting this thread then not getting back to it for so long. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.

I poked around the 'net and looked at parts prices; it looks like I could return the better (more complete) of the two for no more than about 10% over the cost of a comparable post-WWII mixmaster. I probably won't be doing that, if for no other reason than the thought that my eyes are old enough that I can't shoot the original sights well any more. If it were an A3, it might be worth doing for me.

Thanks for the thoughts on the stocks, I was sure someone had to be making a synthetic sporter stock but wasn't sure what names to start looking for. 30calflash is right about the drill rifle stocks. About 30 years ago, I tested a couple of these. Using M2 ball, ten shot 200yard groups averaged almost twice the size the same action/barrel/ammo combination produced from their wood stocks.

Not being a fan of the '06 for the shooting I do today, most of this stuff will probably make a trip to a gun show to be traded off soon. I may keep the Remington action, I keep looking at it and getting ideas for a sporter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
    Alternately, is there a conveniently-available reasonably-priced synthetic stock for the '03? The MkI might make a nice sporter/rainy-day rifle.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Jim
    My advice is NOT to buy the Bell & Carlson stock for the '03 action, if they still offer it. I bought one several years ago and had it shipped straight to the gunsmith that was barreling my action. He didn't like the way the barrel channel was cut (crooked), so he started milling on it. Then he noticed that the rear action screw hole was about 1" off-center! Too late to return it and he was doing the work for free, so I didn't want to make him buy me a new stock (old friend, long story). Bottom line, I HAD to make that stock work! It works, although it looks like warmed over dog-s**t.

I guess that B&C makes a pretty decent stock, as long as its for a popular rifle. Then there's the rest of them.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
    My apologies for starting this thread then not getting back to it for so long. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.

I poked around the 'net and looked at parts prices; it looks like I could return the better (more complete) of the two for no more than about 10% over the cost of a comparable post-WWII mixmaster. I probably won't be doing that, if for no other reason than the thought that my eyes are old enough that I can't shoot the original sights well any more. If it were an A3, it might be worth doing for me.

Thanks for the thoughts on the stocks, I was sure someone had to be making a synthetic sporter stock but wasn't sure what names to start looking for. 30calflash is right about the drill rifle stocks. About 30 years ago, I tested a couple of these. Using M2 ball, ten shot 200yard groups averaged almost twice the size the same action/barrel/ammo combination produced from their wood stocks.

Not being a fan of the '06 for the shooting I do today, most of this stuff will probably make a trip to a gun show to be traded off soon. I may keep the Remington action, I keep looking at it and getting ideas for a sporter.
    here are some laminate wood from boyds
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindA...pe=04&Finish=1