RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt New Service 455 Eley - Spare Cylinder to perserve history?

Boolit Master
    I think you can buy 455 Webley cases which I think is the same thing from Graff & Sons and that they are made by Hornady. I would not mess with changing it at all as it will wreck the value of the pistol and for what it was made for 455 Webley is fully capable. Cheap Lee Hand press about 30 or 40 dollars and a set of Lee Dies about the same. Entertaining cartridge and really a lot of fun in an old Webley. Probably lots of fun in your pistol too.

I bought cases from Graff a few months ago and Webley loads are mild so the brass will last about forever. I don't have any experience with the 455 S&W or Colt pistols, but the 455 in a Webley likes soft boolits pushed slowly. Think mild Unique loads. A vendor here (Matt's Bullets) sells the right boolit for the round.

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    I really appreciate the responses. I was set back yesterday so gotta catch up.
    First order of business: I'm in RHODE ISLAND.
    so if anyone is wiling to help for free, showing the ropes and stuff, I would greatly appreciate it.

Second: I am fully aware of how much this gun is worth, and what I could compensate for it by selling it.
    My wife would shoot me herself with this gun if I tried to sell it.
    Her grandmother handed it down to me, I know It sounds touching but SHE was trying to get rid of it LOL.
    Anyways, it has alot of sentimental value because she passed away a few months back, and I cant bring myself to even MENTION the idea of selling it.

Third:
    I know horndays stopped making the 455.
    I would only buy a press kit If I was mass producing my own 455 to rely on for a war, but I plan on seriously stocking up on 22s 9s 45acps and various rifle rounds when it comes to it, because they are less expensive and more available than the 455.

My goal is to make sure the gun can fire properly with the right ammo (455),
    Once I do that, Im probably gonna put it on display and have the ammo safe somewhere for an emergency.

I seem to check the right places, at the wrong time, because every online retailer is out of stock.
    The ammo is made by fiocchi, however I cant seem to order any, so Im forced to jump through many hoops to get some ammo for the gun.

Reloading seems very fun and I would love to do it, but honestly Im in the business of stocking up right now.
    If you guys think buying some reloading equipment would be a good idea (not just for 455 but for other rounds)
    than I guess Ill have to make that investment!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by olivestab View Post
    Reloading seems very fun and I would love to do it, but honestly Im in the business of stocking up right now. If you guys think buying some reloading equipment would be a good idea (not just for 455 but for other rounds) than I guess Ill have to make that investment!
    Starline makes some of the different "Cowboy" caliber brass, which is basically a shorter 45 Colt case body. Look at the chamber depth in your cylinder. Most all of the older British caliber handguns were set up for the longer 455 Colt & Eley cases. I expect those Starline cases could be used with just some rim thinning. Call them and ask for a few samples of each type to see if they will work.

I think the .45 Cowboy would cut the trimming to length step out of it. When you mention a press kit are you referring to a kit you use in a drill press or one the flattens the rims to size?

Boolit Master

The sole source for Cowboy 45 Special brass is here:

http://cowboy45specialbrass.blogspot.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Virginian View Post
    When you mention a press kit are you referring to a kit you use in a drill press or one the flattens the rims to size?
    No.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-ki...eloading-kits/

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/turret-press/

Boolit Master

Rintinglen, I really enjoyed your post. I think it would be useful for anyone who needs a few cases to use in an old revolver. A gun ain't any good without ammo.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Olivestab, step very carefully. Reloading is an addiction, and casting boolits is even worse. There is just something about that pot of liquid metal! However, reloading and boolit casting allows me to load a box of 50 45ACP for about $2.50! I don't know your age, but if you amortize your investment in equipment over 40 to 60 years it is literally pennies. My wife is a math genius and not into shooting but she sees the value. If you buy bullets and just reload I'm guessing, and literally guessing because I haven't bought bullets in years, that you are looking at more like $7.00 a box of reloaded ammo. You can get a lot of shooting for the dollar that way.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!