Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: 22 LR ammo MAY BE letting up???????

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat
    I go to Wal-mart for alot of things. Mainly groceries. Prices are usually 20-30% less than the local stores and at times hardware and some other stuff is half what local stores charge. I don't mind paying a bit more to keep it local, but not twice the amount. If I can get stuff on sale elsewhere, close to or cheaper than wally world, I will make every effort to go there. If prices are close, then I stay away from WM

I applaud those who are willing to spend a bit more to support smaller local vendors but in the end it's just a wasted gesture, things change for better or worse and marketing methods are going to change with it in spite of what we may want to see. The days of the small independent merchant are pretty much numbered, I'm not saying this is a good thing just inevitable, because big box stores and online shopping are the future whether we like it or not!

Personally I REALLY miss the days of the old "down town" shopping in the small towns where merchants of every kind lined the streets and there were no big box stores but those days are gone just like a lot of other things and we might as well get used to it! Of course IF everyone stayed out of the big stores and we all patronized the independent merchant none of this would be true but the fact is it just ain't gonna happen and folks are going to shop where they get the best deals, most are going to do so out of necessity, so we might as well accept it and "roll with the flow".
    Last edited by oldred; 11-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    MidSouth has it in stock today..... Norma brand..... $5.40 a box.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    What are people talking about when they say Independent Merchant? I have never seen a grocery or hardware store that was not a chain store. There used to be some independent general stores when I was growing up (they were all small, like a convenience store) and there still are some now but never a full size hardware or grocery store. Even the drug stores and 5 and dimes were all chains.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

That's just the point there are hardly any left anymore! There are a few in this area that are still independently owned and not part of a franchise but they are becoming fewer every year, of course our favorite stores the gun shops are mostly independent and are most likely to remain so. Even the smaller family owned franchise stores are in danger, by that I mean for example a hardware store in our community has the appearance of an old independent type store but is actually an ACE hardware franchise now. Big volume dealers are going to have the buying power to purchase stock at mass volume discounts and sell at a profit margin that is going to starve out the smaller operators and short of Government intervention there's really no practical way of stopping it. It's called free enterprise and the only real way to prevent change is for us, the consumers, to pass up the lower big chain prices and patronize the smaller independently owned businesses at a higher cost, as I said before that just ain't gonna happen! Now for gun shops it may be a bit different because it seems that local dealers are if anything actually beating the big store prices but that too may change.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    That's just the point there are hardly any left anymore! There are a few in this area that are still independently owned and not part of a franchise but they are becoming fewer every year, of course our favorite stores the gun shops are mostly independent and are most likely to remain so. Even the smaller family owned franchise stores are in danger, by that I mean for example a hardware store in our community has the appearance of an old independent type store but is actually an ACE hardware franchise now. Big volume dealers are going to have the buying power to purchase stock at mass volume discounts and sell at a profit margin that is going to starve out the smaller operators and short of Government intervention there's really no practical way of stopping it. It's called free enterprise and the only real way to prevent change is for us, the consumers, to pass up the lower big chain prices and patronize the smaller independently owned businesses at a higher cost, as I said before that just ain't gonna happen! Now for gun shops it may be a bit different because it seems that local dealers are if anything actually beating the big store prices but that too may change.
    I was talking about 40 years ago. The stores have all been chain stores for longer than Walmart has been around.

Tim

In Remembrance
    Are you telling me that you have never seen a grocery store or hardware stor that wasn't a chaun, or even an indepently owned franchise. Hmm there are still a few (very few) but still around.

Many franchise hardware stores still have much in common with mom and pop ones of yeteryear, at least when you buy a lawn mower it has the wheels on it and has been cranked, and many have their own service dept. These are the things that I hate to see leaving.

Here at least people shop at wallmart for the percieved convenience I think, because as far as groceries goes, Fred Meyers or safeway has way better meat, and I'm talking no comparison. Canned goods are pretty much always cheaper at Fred Meyers, but wallmart is cheaper on chinese goods, and unless other big box stores starts running their own ships, they will never be able to compete on chinese imports.

Boolit Master

until a couple of years ago, there was an independently owned grocery store in the little town my folks live in. what killed the store, they opened a wallyworld 20 miles away.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Are you telling me that you have never seen a grocery store or hardware stor that wasn't a chaun, or even an indepently owned franchise. Hmm there are still a few (very few) but still around.

Many franchise hardware stores still have much in common with mom and pop ones of yeteryear, at least when you buy a lawn mower it has the wheels on it and has been cranked, and many have their own service dept. These are the things that I hate to see leaving.

Here at least people shop at wallmart for the percieved convenience I think, because as far as groceries goes, Fred Meyers or safeway has way better meat, and I'm talking no comparison. Canned goods are pretty much always cheaper at Fred Meyers, but wallmart is cheaper on chinese goods, and unless other big box stores starts running their own ships, they will never be able to compete on chinese imports.
    I suspect that maybe some or even many where independently owned franchises, don't really know. 45 years ago the only grocery stores in town were and A&P and a Shop & Save. Drug store was a Rexall, the 5 & Dime was a Ben Franklin. I think we had a Woolworth and a Sears Catalog Store. There was an independent hardware store and a Western Auto. Currently I buy as much or more from Fred's, Family Dollar, Dollar Store, Winn Dixie, Rouses, etc. as I do from Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot. I don't see how the local owners make any of these business any better if any have local owners. I would consider using a mom and pop business if they sell anything I need or want. I bought some gator and boudin from the fish shop. I had my local gun shop do my FFL transfers. If they had something beside black rifles and plastic pistols I would consider buying a gun from them. I did buy some Rimfire ammo just to give them some business beside the transfers. I pay to use their range sometimes. I use the local car dealers once or twice each decade. Even here it is hard to find a restaurant that is not a chain. Exactly what mom and pop shops am I supposed to shop at.

Tim

Boolit Buddy
    I think things were a lot better when we had western auto and gibsons around. Just ramblings of me thinking about days past.

Moderator Emeritus

The only grocery store I would buy meat from closed. Small independently owned chain with a total of 8 stores, each independent but shared buying power.

Hit a gun show this weekend and there seemed to be plenty of 22lr ammo available. The cheapest I saw was 13¢ a round so still a tad expensive. That may be the new norm though...

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by knobster View Post
    Hit a gun show this weekend and there seemed to be plenty of 22lr ammo available. The cheapest I saw was 13¢ a round so still a tad expensive. That may be the new norm though...
    Why would that be the new norm, when they are 5 to 6 cents at the stores, as much as 8 cents for mini mags??? Even at the last couple of gun shows here nobody was trying to get over 40 a brick, with very few takers.

Boolit Grand Master

Whatever the new norm may turn out to be if it isn't less than I can cast & load for I'll continue to cast load center fire plinking ammo. If the gun show scammers want to continue reaping huge profits if everybody would wave goodbye with one finger like I do the price would come down in a heartbeat. If people continue to panic and pay those prices it will be the new norm.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Whatever the new norm may turn out to be if it isn't less than I can cast & load for I'll continue to cast load center fire plinking ammo. If the gun show scammers want to continue reaping huge profits if everybody would wave goodbye with one finger like I do the price would come down in a heartbeat. If people continue to panic and pay those prices it will be the new norm.

Rick

As the old saying goes "That's it in a nut shell"! Prices will remain high as long as people just grumble and pay.